I need a bit of help

Renzourin

My desktop is giving me lots of issues even after upgrading to the max of 8 gigs of ram on the computer but it didnt give me the performance boost i wanted i got a damn decent mid/low range gfx card but even with a quad core 2.2ghz processor i cant run terraria at full frames with a nvidia GTX 750 1gb gfx card so i know the problem has to lie in my processor

Saving up the money for a whole new system isnt possible so i need to upgrade this old ass processor and thats where i need help heres the link to my motherboard http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00906137

Specifically it says:

Socket type: AM2
TDP: 89 watt
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
  • Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
  • Athlon 64 less than 4000+
  • Sempron less than 4000+

what i currently have is an AMD phenom 9500 clocked at 2.20ghz, this is the review for it from cnet http://www.cnet.com/products/amd-phenom-9500-2-2ghz-oem/

end of the point is what can i get that would be better then this piece of shit?

i probably should have been more specific, saving up for all those parts currently is going to take me alot of time and i figure i can get an old ass processor thats bettter then this one cheap enough that it will get me what i want for right now until i can so i'm just currently looking to upgrade the processor with its current mobo and ram

A good/decent mobo would run about $80 if you can spare that.

What kind of budget were you looking at @Renzourin? Knowing that would help us suggest something to fit that. I'll take a look at processors when I get a chance.

Could you by chance post the specs that game suggests for max frames? You may have to just deal with running it on lower settings if it's possible.

• Like 1

I did mention the game it's Terraria and i hit 50 fps on the lowest settings but here is the recommended reqs for it

• Processor: Dual Core 3.0 Ghz
  • Memory: 4GB
  • Hard Disk Space: 200MB
  • Video Card: 256mb Video Memory, capable of Shader Model 2.0+
  • DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater

i've got a quad core 2.2 8 gigs of ram and a 1gb video card yet i cant manage 60 fps when my i5 laptop with 4gb of ram and a fucking intel graphics card can manage it just fine

this motherboard is old as shit it uses ddr2 6400pc ram in a 4x2gb configuration if i go for a new mobo ill have to go for a new processor and new ram and most likely a better psu running me something like 300 400$ depending on what i buy thats not something that i can accomplish in a quick space of time i am running a 400w psu atm which meets all my reqs easily since my gfx card only needs 350w but still in one month i can spend probably 50-100$ maybe more depending

A. i've got to share it with family which is annoying and B. somehow somefucking way do not ask me how this happened but the keyboard got shorted due to a surge i was using it fine put the lid down for a minute while i went to take a piss came back and the keyboard was scrambled the entire left side of the keyboard barely works now we're using a wired one if we have to type with it and no there was no power surge in the house not even so much as a flicker

Doesn't seem like any of the available CPU's for your current mobo will be enough of an upgrade. The only one NewEgg even has to fit your MOBO is a refurbished Dual-Core 2.6 GHz and it's $75. I wouldn't spend that kind of money for a 0.4GHz upgrade that still keeps you under the recommended settings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an idea, look for surplus computers in your state. Well do a search for surplus sales in your state. My state has a surplus auction site and your can find computers and servers on it sometimes pallets full for 10-$15. The deal is look for engineering computers more states are on a 3-5 year rotation on computers. A 7-8 year old engineering computer would be a Dell Precision Workstation T3400 and have at least a 3.0Ghz dual core "i5". In my state if you win you have to go pick it up they don't ship. Also that state would have to pay for disposal of computers but as a civilian it doesn't cost me anything. So I can take what I don't want to the transfer station for free.

I'm just putting it out as an option.