Has Anyone Taken a Break from Anime?

warlord8

As the title says, have you ever taken a break from anime? If so, for how long and possibly share why? Also, by break I mean totally avoiding anime in the sense that you did not watch, discuss any anime. How did you catchup once you got back?

I guess I am asking because I feel that in the foreseeable future, I may have to let go for a few months (hopefully not though)... Just wanted to know what the experience was like ahead of time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I did take a break for a while, back from around 2007-2011 or so.  I guess I really only took a break because I thought I grew out of it at that time, and that it wasn't mature or cool to like or watch it.  Toonami redesigning around that time also gave me a bit of incentive to stop watching.  I got back into it in high school when I was flipping through and found the Funimation Channel, and decided to watch it for a bit.  There were also a lot of old bumpers from 2002 era Adult Swim Action going online around that time too, and I really got interested in the older cel-shaded anime.  After that I started regularly watching and discussing online again.

Not really sure how much this is gonna help, but if it does I'm glad.

Yup, Toonami pretty much sucked me back into anime. I found out that it was on Adult Swim a year after they started up again. It's interesting you mention high school, because at that time, I knew a lot of people that watched anime even though I did not. And now, in college,  those who used to watch, stopped. But I truly started watching in college.

I made this thread cause sometimes I feel like I spend way too much time on anime in lieu of more productive activities. My nights mostly consist of trading anime for sleep lol. But I am too scared to quit cold turkey, especially since there are so many great shows out there left to watch. I just can't help feeling guilty each time, though.

Thanks for replying,your experience tells me that it is possible to get back into anime after leaving it for some time.

• Like 1

Hey, no problem.  I've had many a sleepless night where I try and marathon through as much of a series as I can, so I can understand that.  Once I started getting back into it again I made a list of shows I was interested in watching, and just kinda went down the list from there, so if you're still a bit wary of cutting it out entirely for a while, I'd suggest making a list.

9 minutes ago, Afternoon Nap said:

Is it common that anime fans stay past midnight? I'm one. What is the freaking deal with this hobby?

I've always been a night owl lol.  When I'm not up late watching anime I'll be up late watching other TV or playing PS4 or something.  It's typical for me to be up until 4:00 AM or so on days I don't need to be up early.  As for WHY anime fans do it, maybe people with the tendency to be a night owl are just more likely to watch anime? 

10 hours ago, Afternoon Nap said:

Is it common that anime fans stay past midnight? I'm one. What is the freaking deal with this hobby?

Lol yeah I'm a night owl as well. But I guess that real issue that I was trying to convey was that, while being in college, I feel guilty for doing something that is not seen as productive. All the time, I see my peers working hard and achieving their goals. But I would be in the wrong to outright say that anime is the cause of my problems. The reality is that I am terrible at time management, and a slow learner. So while I do put my studies first, it leaves little time to enjoy my hobbies. Which then leads to staying up late so that I can relax for a bit.

1 hour ago, CaptainStarwind said:

Yeah, with a few exceptions I'm not too interested in the moe stuff.  But as long as stuff like that makes money they'll continue to make it.

Yeah it sells and appeals to the otaku crowd in Japan.

6 minutes ago, warlord8 said:

Lol yeah I'm a night owl as well. But I guess that real issue that I was trying to convey was that, while being in college, I feel guilty for doing something that is not seen as productive. All the time, I see my peers working hard and achieving their goals. But I would be in the wrong to outright say that anime is the cause of my problems. The reality is that I am terrible at time management, and a slow learner. So while I do put my studies first, it leaves little time to enjoy my hobbies. Which then leads to staying up late so that I can relax for a bit.

That's understandable.  I'm actually in the same boat as you lol.  I have a really time intensive major that eats up most of my free time, so I usually end up being up until 1 or 2 in the morning to get up for an 8 AM class.  It does get more difficult to keep up on shows during the semester for me, so I can usually only watch on weekends, or the rare day I have no homework.

23 minutes ago, CaptainStarwind said:

That's understandable.  I'm actually in the same boat as you lol.  I have a really time intensive major that eats up most of my free time, so I usually end up being up until 1 or 2 in the morning to get up for an 8 AM class.  It does get more difficult to keep up on shows during the semester for me, so I can usually only watch on weekends, or the rare day I have no homework.

Yup  that's exactly how my days go as well. Perhaps we have similar majors lol.

9 hours ago, CaptainStarwind said:

Mine is chemistry lol.  Yours?

General Engineering atm, but want to go into Computer Engineering

6 hours ago, mikeymop said:

I have, and am just getting back into it. There wasn't much that interested me however 2015 has been a great year! 

What drew you back in?  I might stop watching for a while. I need to transfer from my current college to another, so I will be needing to do the applications in my free time.

I haven't watched a "new" anime in years and have instead been reading manga. I think it was ultimately the lame filler arcs in shows like Bleach that pushed me to switch. Now I just go back and watch old favorites from time to time, or feature films when a good one comes out.

Edited by MacBalthazar