Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash

Koby

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
kztPUyc.jpg
MAL

Synopsis: Why are we here? Why are we doing this?

Before Haruhito had realized what happened, he was surrounded by darkness. Why was he here? Where was here? Even now, he still didn't know. Those around him were the same as him, no one remembered anything other than their own names. And when they emerged from the darkness, the world that awaited them seemed like something out of a video game.

In order to survive, Haruhito forms a party with the others, learns fighting skills, and as a soldier in the reserve force, takes his first steps into the world of Grimgar. What awaits him there, he doesn't know...

This the story of an adventure born from the ashes.

PV:

Light Novel 'Hai to Gensou no Grimgar' Gets TV Anime Adaptation for Winter 2016
The official YouTube account of TOHO Animation posted a video announcing that the fantasy light novel Hai to Gensou no Grimgar (Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash) will receive a TV anime adaptation. The announcement was also made via Niconico stream. The series is scheduled to premiere in Winter 2016 from studio A-1 Pictures. Ryousuke Nakamura will direct the series, and Mieko Hosoi has been announced to design the characters.

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar is written by Ao Jyumonji and illustrated by Eiri Shirai. It began publishing in June 2013 and is currently ongoing with five volumes in print. It has also received a manga adaptation drawn by Mutsumi Okuhashi which began publishing in April.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Watched episode 1 Wednesday night via the FUNimation Broadcast (English) Dub. Interesting premise I must say. It was nice that they built upon the world and introduced us to the characters just entering the world, gave us a a pretty diverse cast who were like your average players that weren't suddenly over-powered. It really feels like this could be a legit mmo-themed anime. Even though it's not even on the basis of being trapped in a game, but rather simply coming to a fantasy-themed world and having no memories of your life up to that point.

I really liked that the characters are going to have to grow even to simply beat what is apparently known as the weakest enemy there. They even showed us that the Goblins are capable of human-like behavior, sitting around a campfire enjoying themselves. Our upstart adventurers have an uphill battle just to survive and be able to feed themselves.

I look forward to future episodes. Plus this show is apparently one of the rare ones being animated at higher resolution and totally worth the 1080p and those beautiful water-colored backgrounds are breath-taking! My only fear is that with the show slated for 12 episodes, they'll either end up rushing to some sort of conclusion or leave us without any type of closure. This show feels like it could easily go on for 50+ episodes.

• Like 1

Damn this show really makes you feel sorry for the Goblins. All I could think about the whole time they were attacking it was how cruel they were being to it. It's like when you're hunting an animal and you're just shooting it all up but not killing it. It's just cruel. The Goblins seem very human-like here and definitely seemed like all he wanted to do was survive.

It also showcases just how poor our main cast is at fighting. It really seemed like most of them chose classes they weren't well suited to and should switch classes with others of the group to something they're more suited for. I feel they'd be a lot better off if this happened.

It was kind of a surprise that the tooth/claw whatever ended up being worth more than the coin but then that is how it goes sometimes. I figured they'd introduce sub-classes like leatherworking, fishing, cooking, mining, etc... but that hasn't happened yet.

Anyhow really digging that the show is taking it's time building up the characters and not just jumping into being overpowered right off the bat. I'm just still scared about this show only being slated for 12 episodes with the way it's headed. Doesn't seem like our cast will be that far down the road in the next 10 episodes.

• Like 1

The only thing I'm not liking about the show is your typical Japanese fanservice shit. Like the boys always wanting to peek in on the girls, etc. I mean it's one thing if it happens occasionally, but when you dedicate an entire episode nearly to that point is another matter. It's also different if it's in an ecchi fanservice comedy versus being in some fantasy mmo-styled setting anime. It just doesn't seem like the type of show that should be dedicating entire episodes to and considering I avoid anime that typically feature that stuff these days, it's a bit off-putting.

Other than that, I've really enjoyed the slow build up and world building. It's a nice change of pace compared to Sword Art Online that just jumped around and instantly became Over Powered, Log Horizon which started out at max levels and never really delved into anything except the politics side of things, and Overlord which just completely started out Over Powered. Grimgar's world building is exactly the kind of thing fans of mmo-themed anime have been desiring and waiting for. They're not skipping a beat. You learn how the begin, you learn how questing happens, you lean how guilds are started, you learn how difficult it is to start from scratch, everything that you'd expect from entering a new real-life fantasy mmo.

• Like 1

On 28/02/2016 at 9:23 PM, Renzourin said:

I've been reading the light novels here https://grimgarthetranslation.wordpress.com/update-history/

been a reaaalllly good read so far if you're interested in less fanservice koby and i gotta catch up with the anime too see how it differs

I've been kind of interested in the Light novel for when the anime ends, Would you recommend skipping the first volume or reading from the beginning? 

I think I recall reading the anime covers only the first volume. 

• 2 weeks later...

So episode 6 was all about Merry. Yes, I know it's not the typical way of spelling 'Mary', however they've released stuff officially with it spelt 'Merry' so that's just how it is. Anyhow, at first she just comes off as a major bitch and I couldn't understand why the party would opt to keep her around when she wouldn't even socialize with them and was always snappy and refused to heal them. However we learn her backstory and why she is the way she is and you begin to understand and sympathize for her.

Again I'm really loving the pacing of this show. It's a vast difference to shows like Sword Art Online which just jumped around to random events and missed out on everything that people was actually tuning in for originally. This show certainly has it's own take on things; many of which I've often complained about an anime of this nature skipping/missing out on. So it's great to see what I've always wanted to come to fruition. I just hope another season is announced. We're halfway through this already with the Broadcast English dub and well the English Subtitled Simulcast only has a couple episodes to go.

• Like 2