The N199@ word and who should use it

professa X

THE N199@ WORD USGAE  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do y'all agree?

Aight first off ima say that i am not white.

with that being said i wanna hear what yall think my nigga fat joe just said:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?t=310&v=BRJy48JWiHk

and as always i got love for everybody so i will take your opinions and accept them

feel free to go at it but plz be nice and diplomatic in your discussions no need to hurt peoples feelings

use the poll and submit your opinion!

aight let the discussions begin!

Edited by professa X

As he said, the word has no bearing on skin color.

It's the real racists who throw the 'race card' anytime a white person uses it.

Stop viewing people as different color. View them as people. There is no reason for 'race' options on tests. There is no reason for skin color in head lines: "Black man kills white cop".

Screw that, title it "Man kills cop". It's the media who is trying to push race as an issue.

It's often black people who tend to be the biggest racists (especially here). Al Sharpton is like the biggest racist on TV these days. He makes even Trump look like a little boy in comparison. White's seem okay with color now days, but blacks seem to hold grudges for shit that never happened to them. I don't owe anybody anything. I wasn't a slave owner and you weren't a slave. So stop acting like you're owed something and go fuck off. Enjoy life and stop acting like color is an issue.

• Like 5

Stop viewing people as different color. View them as people. There is no reason for 'race' options on tests. There is no reason for skin color in head lines: "Black man kills white cop".

Screw that, title it "Man kills cop". It's the media who is trying to push race as an issue.

It's often black people who tend to be the biggest racists. White's seem okay with color now days, but blacks seem to hold grudges for shit that never happened to them. I don't owe anybody anything. I wasn't a slave owner and you weren't a slave. So stop acting like you're owed something and go fuck off. Enjoy life and stop acting like color is an issue.

BAMF. koby I'm there with you. The more these words are used to differentiate the more our future generations will see a "distinction" between races. I use the word all the time. Cuz every body is my nigga and I am everybody else's nigga. Edited by professa X
  • Like 1

It's often black people who tend to be the biggest racists. White's seem okay with color now days, but blacks seem to hold grudges for shit that never happened to them. I don't owe anybody anything. I wasn't a slave owner and you weren't a slave. So stop acting like you're owed something and go fuck off. Enjoy life and stop acting like color is an issue.

BAMF. koby I'm there with you. The more these words are used to differentiate the more our future generations will see a "distinction" between races. I use the word all the time. Cuz every body is my nigga and I am everybody else's nigga.

Just curious, what ethnicity are you (since you brought it up)? I think I remember you saying middle eastern one time but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I do adamantly agree that at this point the word is not a racial offense tool, and I don't hesitate to use it or recite it if necessary.

Niggas be too bent out of shape sometimes.

• Like 1

BAMF. koby I'm there with you. The more these words are used to differentiate the more our future generations will see a "distinction" between races. I use the word all the time. Cuz every body is my nigga and I am everybody else's nigga.

Just curious, what ethnicity are you (since you brought it up)? I think I remember you saying middle eastern one time but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I do adamantly agree that at this point the word is not a racial offense tool, and I don't hesitate to use it or recite it if necessary.

Niggas be too bent out of shape sometimes.

I'm am brown. So Indian would be the answer. But cool. Cuz now I can call u my nigga and u can call me ur nigga!

It is still a derogatory term used to insult black people. Much like how coolie is an insult to indians and kafa is an insult to black people living in Africa.

These words should be left in the past. That shit never happened to us (slavery etc.). Why should those words still rule our lives like it we lived through those times recently. It's over and done with, those words should mean nothing now.

But the main issue I guess is racism, that will always exist. And racists will use those words as an insult to other races.

Specifically talking about racists though. The term nigga is used in every day hip hop. Nigga is not used as an insult anymore, so don't go acting like every fucking white/indian/chinese who uses that word is racist.

If some do use nigga as an insult to black people then you have reason to be angry.

Edited by LimitLess
  • Like 2

I'm one to talk (as someone that says nigger irl and online occasionally). But I don't think it's okay for general use, even if you're black.

I don't think it's necessarily a good word to use in 90% of cases. Say what you want about whether or not we should see people as race, but people for them. That sort of thinking may apply to me and you, but it's incredibly misguided to say that about anyone else. As long as people exist, there will always be racists and biggots. Nigger can and will be used as a derogatory term.

Any racist vernacular has deep historic context and should be avoided to use because it can be offensive to some people. Even though it's been years and years since those events took place, they did take place, those words were used many of times and with large negative connotations. If someone where you say "I want to speak with this nigger", that pretty much puts the entire sentence in a negative light. It's a very condescending word. Yeah it depends on context, but I think the word in general can just be replaced by something else with the same or better effect. "My nigga" can be replaced with "my bro/homie/chum" whatever, and not lose it's meaning. 

Ultimately, I don't think the word should be used very commonly, but I think it should be used to quote someone, or when you talk about the word. You should be able to say nigger without implications. Also just because it can be offensive to someone, doesn't mean it shouldn't be said or censored if said in a context about talking about it. It just means the offended person should just butt out of the convo and think about why they feel that way about the word in that context. 

somewhat take offense to people calling me or whoever a faggot (it does happen). I really get it, it really doesn't feel nice. But I try not to get my feelings involved objectively. And I don't throw the word faggot around like candy, because it's generally not a nice word. Even as a bisexual, I avoid saying it even if it's entitled(?) to me to use. Ownership of words is really stupid though, it should not be a thing. 

The honest reason I say it is because I find shock value absolutely hilarious, and the reaction some of my close friends give to it is way tooooooo funny. But there's no way in hell someone will get me to say it in public.

or maybe I should shut up and check my privilege

That View video was infuriating, just a bunch of menopausal vaginas speaking over eachother. You should 100% be able to say it when just talking about the word, that lady in the middle should pretty much remove herself from the table after interrupting Walters for the fifth time. 

Edited by Natalie
  • Like 2

Good answer. But the word itself should not be barred. Rather how it should, should be.

If that makes sense.

Jus like a gun. The gun itself isn't bad nor should it be barred, but how it should be used, well that is what the issue is.

I'll give an example where the word nigga (not nigger, I don't feel comfortable using that word) can be used in a negative context and have nothing to do with race.

So me and my niggas are sitting on the block and just kicking it. You know just generally fucking around. And this guy, who we don't and never balled with, just comes up to one of homies and says

"What's good, nigga"?

Mind you the guy in question is black and my homie is brown.

If ur from the hood, u tense up ready for a confrontation.

Why? Cuz that man isn't your nigga and you aint his. He never done shit to earn the right to call you " nigga".

So its all about tone and context. If the guy said homie, it would have caused the same issue. Like fat Joe said : its a word of endearment.

Nobody would want the significant other called baby, right front of them, right?

Edited by professa X

Good answer. But the word itself should not be barred. Rather how it should, should be.

If that makes sense.

Jus like a gun. The gun itself isn't bad nor should it be barred, but how it should be used, well that is what the issue is.

I'll give an example where the word nigga (not nigger, I don't feel comfortable using that word) can be used in a negative context and have nothing to do with race.

So me and my niggas are sitting on the block and just kicking it. You know just generally fucking around. And this guy, who we don't and never balled with, just comes up to one of homies and says

"What's good, nigga"?

Mind you the guy in question is black and my homie is brown.

If ur from the hood, u tense up ready for a confrontation.

Why? Cuz that man isn't your nigga and you aint his. He never done shit to earn the right to call you " nigga".

So its all about tone and context. If the guy said homie, it would have caused the same issue. Like fat Joe said : its a word of endearment.

Nobody would want the significant other called baby, right front of them, right?

I addressed that, didn't I? I think it shouldn't be used by anyone. Times changing doesn't erase it of the historical implications given to the words.

Nigger/nigga is the same word, changing pronunciation doesn't change it in my view, the implication is still there. If a white person were to say nigga, they'd be given the same reaction if they were to say nigger. This is not only because they aren't their 'nigga' but because lots of black people still feel that it's their word. Let's say if I was super tight with my black friend and I called him 'my nigga' in front of other black people who didn't know me that well; do you think that'd go over well? lol fuck no. Context does not matter in that situation at all, it's still forbidden to use the word because of the historical implication. Just because you say nigga instead of nigger does not change that nigga is 99% of the word nigger. 

Saying homie instead of nigga would 100% not incite the same reaction.

No, calling someone else's girlfriend 'babe' is not okay,  but it would not incite the same reaction.

Let's switch it up. Just because people can shorten faggot to fag or to faggo or something does not lessen the impact. It's still intact, and they're still words to instill bigotry and hate. I do not like these negative words with roots of hatred being said the same way you'd say 'my brother'. They are words, I feel, that should not be in people's vernacular at all, black or white. Especially in public.

Keep in mind, I'm a half faggot white girl with privilege, if I said nigga in public, no matter the context, it would not fly.  I'm actually stating the word should not be used by anyone so commonly. Of course feel free to do what you want but I don't think the word is okay to use all the time. Also keep in mind I'm a big fucking hypocrite and would call my white girlfriends 'my nigga' or say something pretty offensive to see their eyes widen and for them to say "OH MY GOD NAT I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SAID THAT".

Edited by Natalie

I addressed that, didn't I? I think it shouldn't be used by anyone. Times changing doesn't erase it of the historical implications given to the words.

Nigger/nigga is the same word, changing pronunciation doesn't change it in my view, the implication is still there. If a white person were to say nigga, they'd be given the same reaction if they were to say nigger. This is not only because they aren't their 'nigga' but because lots of black people still feel that it's their word. Let's say if I was super tight with my black friend and I called him 'my nigga' in front of other black people who didn't know me that well; do you think that'd go over well? lol fuck no. Context does not matter in that situation at all, it's still forbidden to use the word because of the historical implication. Just because you say nigga instead of nigger does not change that nigga is 99% of the word nigger. 

No, calling someone else's girlfriend 'babe' is not okay,  but it would not incite the same reaction.

Let's switch it up. Just because people can shorten faggot to fag or to faggo or something does not lessen the impact. It's still intact, and they're still words to instill bigotry and hate. I do not like these negative words with roots of hatred being said the same way you'd say 'my brother'. They are words, I feel, that should not be in people's vernacular at all, black or white. Especially in public.  

It would probably be better if the words, "faggot" and "nigger" went away, but they will always be used. The fact that there have been found ways to use these words in a non racist or homophobic way is perhaps the best form of healing, the fact that we won't let these hate words of the past affect us in the future. 

And "faggot" is a little more acceptable I find. Not at all because the hatred of gays is more okay than the hatred of blacks, nothing like that, but only because it was also used to describe someone who's petty or whiny. That's how I learned about the word anyway. I.E. "Next time I poke you in class, don't run crying to the teacher like a little faggot."

The "N" word can't be used in that type of common context, and as we've established, "nigga," was brought up by black people themselves as a term of endearment. Not saying that all of them like it, but to say they'd all be offended by it is a tad out of whack.

So yes, it really does depend on how these words are used. Just to say a word is offensive regardless of context is closed-minded in my opinion. That's where we get the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons of the world.

Edited by Arian

It would probably be better if the words, "faggot" and "nigger" went away, but they will always be used. The fact that there have been found ways to use these words in a non racist or homophobic way is perhaps the best form of healing, the fact that we won't let these hate words of the past affect us in the future. 

And "faggot" is a little more acceptable I find. Not at all because the hatred of gays is more okay than the hatred of blacks, nothing like that, but only because it was also used to describe someone who's petty or whiny. That's how I learned about the word anyway. I.E. "Next time I poke you in class, don't run crying to the teacher like a little faggot."

The "N" word can't be used in that type of common context, and as we've established, "nigga," was brought up by black people themselves as a term of endearment. Not saying that all of them like it, but to say they'd all be offended by it is a tad out of whack.

So yes, it really does depend on how these words are used. Just to say a word is offensive regardless of context is closed-minded in my opinion. That's where we get the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons of the world.

Well yeah, they're always going to be used in any and every context. I'd say most of us are past that era of thinking and getting rid of those word in our vernacular for common use and consumption is avoid using the word, no matter if the word belongs to you. I guess, thinking about it, doing it either way would work to the same effect.

Maybe where you're at but the word faggot is becoming the same way nigger is being used. Around me and online in most place, faggot is not a PC thing to say no matter what. I used to use the word like the way you say it, but now it's frowned upon (because of it's negative connotation with gays). This will probably differ with Euros though. 

I still believe if I said nigga with the 'my nigga' context in front of other black people who do not know me, would get me in some serious shit. Either by their opinion or a serious 'reality check'. Nigger/nigga are interchangeable in this context. I still feel like no matter what word I said, it'd still incite the same reaction.

Edited by Natalie

Well yeah, they're always going to be used in any and every context. I'd say most of us are past that era of thinking and getting rid of those word in our vernacular for common use and consumption is avoid using the word, no matter if the word belongs to you. I guess, thinking about it, doing it either way would work to the same effect.

Maybe where you're at but the word faggot is becoming the same way nigger is being used. Around me and online in most place, faggot is not a PC thing to say no matter what. I used to use the word like the way you say it, but now it's frowned upon (because of it's negative connotation with gays). This will probably differ with Euros though. 

I still believe if I said nigga with the 'my nigga' context in front of other black people who do not know me, would get me in some serious shit. Either by their opinion or a serious 'reality check'. Nigger/nigga are interchangeable in this context. I still feel like no matter what word I said, it'd still incite the same reaction.

I understand, and I do sympathize but I would like to bring up context again. If you catch someone saying, "faggot," especially a young person, it is good to educate them and explain, depending on how they're using it is socially harmful, it might even inhibit them from using it, but telling people what to do outright is where I draw the line. It's not okay for a word like that to be used against someone when it does apply to them, but just like anything, we need to analyze (huh huh, "anal") each situation individually. 

And yeah, I wouldn't use a word like that to a stranger either. I also wouldn't say to a woman I just met, "You look so gropable," because although they may possibly be complimented by it, it's certainly not likely.

Edited by Arian
  • Like 1

Well if you look at it, America is the only country where saying the word Nigger/Nigga is a problem. Because of it's historical background, it get's a lot of negative feedback. Mostly because it was in America that word was used as a derogatory term for a black person. Canada maybe? idk

But other countries could see it differently. And we hear nigga quite a bit in hip hop music so most people who like hip hop or the word will generally use it. I use that word amongst my black friends and they don't fuss about it. And others including whites use that word as the "in" thing, meaning "bro/homie" etc.

It really depends on how it was used, when it was used and more importantly, where it was used.

• Like 2

I understand, and I do sympathize but I would like to bring up context again. If you catch someone saying, "faggot," especially a young person, it is good to educate them and explain, depending on how they're using it is socially harmful, it might even inhibit them from using it, but telling people what to do outright is where I draw the line. It's not okay for a word like that to be used against someone when it does apply to them, but just like anything, we need to analyze (huh huh, "anal") each situation individually. 

And yeah, I wouldn't use a word like that to a stranger either. I also wouldn't say to a woman I just met, "You look so gropable," because although they may possibly be complimented by it, it's certainly not likely.

I'd agree with that, but in certain situations, context does not matter. Someone will take it the wrong way. The english language has SO many words and so many words with different uses meanings and nuanced meanings. Like I said earlier, it would be incredibly easy to replace nigger or faggot given that context. Instead of calling someone a faggot, I'd call them fucking annoying or something else. Instead of calling someone my nigga, I'd rather say 'bro' (it's funny how I used that word ironically and now I can't stop saying it). There's better words for it that don't have that negative connotation and there's no way someone can get offended in that way.

• Like 1

Well if you look at it, America is the only country where saying the word Nigger/Nigga is a problem. Because of it's historical background, it get's a lot of negative feedback. Mostly because it was in America that word was used as a derogatory term for a black person. Canada maybe? idk

But other countries could see it differently. And we hear nigga quite a bit in hip hop music so most people who like hip hop or the word will generally use it. I use that word amongst my black friends and they don't fuss about it. And others including whites use that word as the "in" thing, meaning "bro/homie" etc.

It really depends on how it was used, when it was used and more importantly, where it was used.

Canadian and American are almost interchangeable, we share a lot of our history and culture. One large part of Canadian identity is simply just 'we're not American'. Canada had their fair share of racism and prejudices. While blacks were better treated here, they still didn't have the best treatment. But Asiatic cultures and Natives were 100% not treated well and our native population still has institutionalized racism in some ways, that's something to talk about elsewhere though.

I don't think it's just a North American thing. In french, nègre, IS nigger in a lot of the context context, I don't think it directly originated in Quebec. It used to mean ghost writer but someone perverted it's use and I only hear it as nigger. Mostly by my racist grand parents though. 

I'm simply saying I don't think it's okay to say the words all willy nilly, that's only me. You will never hear me say it in public cause I don't think it's socially acceptable and I don't think it's okay. Like your stance on gays Limit, I really don't care if it's used, but I'm not a fan, I won't support it, and I won't use them in a public setting, ever. Well actually, if I'm talking about the word like this, I will say it.

Edited by Natalie
  • Like 1

I'd agree with that, but in certain situations, context does not matter. Someone will take it the wrong way. The english language has SO many words and so many words with different uses meanings and nuanced meanings. Like I said earlier, it would be incredibly easy to replace nigger or faggot given that context. Instead of calling someone a faggot, I'd call them fucking annoying or something else. Instead of calling someone my nigga, I'd rather say 'bro' (it's funny how I used that word ironically and now I can't stop saying it). There's better words for it that don't have that negative connotation and there's no way someone can get offended in that way.

Bear in mind, I'm not really in a position where I use those two words regularly, because you're right; There are other words you can use. But they are citified enough in our English-speaking culture,

I imagine YG wouldn't have had as big of a hit with "My bro, my bro," and I don't see the term "half a fucking annoying person" catching on anytime soon.

But I do respect your point of view and opinions since you've laid them out so articulately.

• Like 1