Best Encoding Group For Studio Ghibli Films?

Tanis

I don't really have the bandwidth to do 60GB a pop, was hoping there's an anime equivalent of YIFY or even RARBG. Help?

Could You provide some size and resolution preferences. The BDMVs are about 40-45GB a pop, and many of 1080p encodes are less than 10GB, so without more precise constrains, I would simply recommend going to BakaBT and search for movies there.

Kametsu for Grave of the Fireflies

If comments on BakaBT can be trusted, then 1080p version has up-converted video and audio. While the size is still very reasonable, the encoding choices makes me suspicious about possible "bloat" in the release.

It's basically what the others have said. Baka-BT are probably one of the more-- if not the most-- strictest when it comes to approving anime, and they approve more than one version of any given anime series/movie, so there is a bit of choice. I would say stick to 720p; there's usually little reason to pay the extra quota for 1080p.

If comments on BakaBT can be trusted, then 1080p version has up-converted video and audio. While the size is still very reasonable, the encoding choices makes me suspicious about possible "bloat" in the release.

Old comments about the v1 release I assume.

Because v1 came out before the US BD so the US DVD audio was used, but v2 fixed this and also included the new English dub along with the old one. v2 encode was also encoded differently thanks to tips from REVO to retain detail and grain better. So it looks pretty transparent side-by-side with source.

I'm not sure what you mean by upconverted video, but the audio I just addressed. As for the size, this movie was extremely grainy and as I said, a choice was made to retain that grain.

Removing grain would drastically reduce file size but it's also pretty destructive.

Also BakaBT accepted our v2 1080p, but never swapped our v2 720p in. They still have the v1 for 720p. Though not only did they accept our release but they deemed it overall best and even dumped their Japanese only release which is almost never done for a dual-audio. So I'd say that says something.

I'm not sure what you mean by upconverted video...

I am talking about Hi444PP. I don't have this release, but comments made by IP BreAKDoWN suggests that video uses this profile, witch clearly upscales chroma (from 960x519 to 1920x1038 in this case). As far as I know MGVC can't be decoded in software, so source uses 4:2:0 chroma subsampling while encode upconverted it to 4:4:4, hence my comment.

Still I have read that chroma compresses better than luma, so it probably does not have large impact on the size. But it could notably increase resource usage in decoding and, because of it, might not play as good as Hi10P.

So, yeah, looking for the best size-to-quality group, for dual audio (when available; reg, if not) Studio Ghibli films.

I don't really have the bandwidth to do 60GB a pop, was hoping there's an anime equivalent of YIFY or even RARBG. Help?

There is a group called BiRD that i think have done most ghibli films maybe all of them i'm not sure but they fit your requrments apart from them being dual audio, the ones that i have are under 3GB.

I'm really trying to find as many from one group as I can.

It's less of a 'shock' when you go from one style to another, seeing as how I usually batch-watch stuff.

Could You provide some size and resolution preferences. The BDMVs are about 40-45GB a pop, and many of 1080p encodes are less than 10GB, so without more precise constrains, I would simply recommend going to BakaBT and search for movies there.

I'm looking for around the 3-5GB per movie.

Like I said, given how I watch things YIFY's stuff tends to be a rather good size-to-quality ratio for me.

^_^

It's basically what the others have said. Baka-BT are probably one of the more-- if not the most-- strictest when it comes to approving anime, and they approve more than one version of any given anime series/movie, so there is a bit of choice. I would say stick to 720p; there's usually little reason to pay the extra quota for 1080p.

I guess I could do that, I'm just trying to preserve my ratio on Baka.

I'm always worried about getting below a 1.5 ratio, given that I sometimes get a bug up my ass and end up downloading like 5 series at once.

XD

So, yeah, looking for the best size-to-quality group, for dual audio (when available; reg, if not) Studio Ghibli films.

There is a group called BiRD that i think have done most ghibli films maybe all of them i'm not sure but they fit your requrments apart from them being dual audio, the ones that i have are under 3GB.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Though, I do prefer dual audio.

I tend to multi-task, so I'd rather have a dub than a sub.

:3

I guess I could do that, I'm just trying to preserve my ratio on Baka.

I'm always worried about getting below a 1.5 ratio, given that I sometimes get a bug up my ass and end up downloading like 5 series at once.

XD

BakaBT is only partially private tracker and allows downloads for unregistered users.

Find what You want while logged in ("Advanced browsing is not available for non-members"), then copy the address in Incognito windows (or browser through witch You have not logged in) and download the torrent as free user. If needed, it is possible to seed the torrent afterwards from Your account.