Been having problems accessing this forum/site... (unsure if it's a problem on my end or not)

CardGames

So... yesterday... and today...

I couldn't access this website. Kametsu. Plus the forums.

This site was working fine for me on Wednesday the 13th. However, Thursday, as well as today, my FireFox wouldn't load this site.

It said the "website could not be found"

I'm just not sure if this is a problem on my end or not. I only know of this happening on my Windows Vista desktop. I don't know if the problem is also occurring on my Windows 7 laptop or not.

Yesterday it only happened for a couple of seconds before the site loaded normally. Today it just wouldn't load no matter what I tried. Clearing cookies and cache didn't work.

Strangely enough I could access this site when I tried a proxy server though.

It's working fine for me right now though. Obviously. Or I wouldn't be able to post this.

So... is anyone else experiencing this problem or is it just me?

If it's just me... anyone have any ideas what could be causing it? I'm at a complete loss as to what could be causing this.

I'd really appreciate any help anyone here could give me with this strange problem.

Thank you.

Edited by CardGames

Sounds like a DNS issue with your ISP. Try using Google's Open-DNS.

How do I do that?

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Changing DNS server settings on Microsoft Windows 7

1. Go the Control Panel.
  2. Click Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center, and click Change adapter settings.
  3. Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:

• To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and click Properties.
    • To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and click Properties.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4. Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then click Properties.
  5. Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.
  8. Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers:

• For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.
    • For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844

9. Restart the connection you selected in step 3.

I had this exact same problem a while back. Its definitely not server side (otherwise more people would have complained), I gave Google Public DNS a go at the time, but it didnt solve it for. However it all seems to be working now. 

It shouldn't affect any other sites. If anything it should be 'better' than your ISP's DNS system.