IRC client?

There are a lot of IRC clients to choose from. Such as Chatzilla, HexChat, xChat, irssi, mIRC, etc..

The big two being HexChat and mIRC.

mIRC is a paid software unless you pirate it or ignore the pop ups telling you to buy it.

HexChat is free.

HexChat is what I use.

Here is some tutorials to get connected to our IRC Network (unfortunately most clients have yet to include Xertion into their default Network lists):

http://wiki.xertion.org/w/Connecting_to_Xertion

I keep getting  Connection failed ((336031996) error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol.)

I'm sure I messed up somewhere on one of the steps. i'm thinking steps 3 & 4.

In the Network list click Xertion and see what it shows under servers.

XChat-3.png

Alternatively to irc.xertion.org/6697 you can simply use irc.xertion.org or preferably just "irc.kametsu.com"

Also add "#Kametsu" to the favorite channels there for it to automatically add you to our channel upon connecting to the network.

STEP 3: Configuring an IRC client

Part i: HexChat

After installing HexChat, you will need to add your desired IRC networks and channels.

To start, open HexChat.

Next, from the menu bar (the bar at the top) select 'HexChat > Network List...'. This opens a small window. There are a few things you need to do:

hexchat_networks_xertion.png

1. Enter your desired nickname. This is the name that others see you as. You should add a second and third choice, in case your desired nickname is being used by someone else on the IRC network. Also enter your desired username. It can be anything you want (normally truncated to 9 or 10 characters by the IRC network), and does not have to be the same as your nickname.

Note: See here for more information about about your username.

2. Click 'Add' and type the IRC network name ('Rizon', in this case). Press enter on your keyboard to commit the change.

3. With the new IRC network highlighted, click 'Edit...'. This will open a new window.

hexchat_networks_server_xertion.png

1. Click 'Edit' and type the address of the desired IRC network followed by a forward slash ('/') and then the IRC networks port. Press enter on your keyboard to commit the change.

Note: Most IRC networks use port 6697 for SSL. If you do not want to use SSL, most IRC networks also have port 6667 open for regular connections.

2. In this example, I am using SSL. This requires the 'Use SSL for all the servers on this network' and 'Accept invalid SSL certificates' to be ticked.

Note: Only tick these boxes if you are using an SSL port!

3. Confirm that the character set is UTF-8 (Unicode). If it isn't, change it now.

Optional: Autojoin channels (recommended)

With the 'Edit' window still open, switch to the 'Autojoin channels' tab.

hexchat_networks_channels_xertion.png

1. Click 'Add' and type the channel name. Make sure there is a hash ('#') before the channel name. Press enter on your keyboard to commit the change.

Note: You can have more than one channel, as shown in the screenshot. Repeat step 1 to add more.

With all that done, you can now close the 'Edit' window.

From the 'Network List' window, select the network you have just added and click 'Connect'.

hexchat_connect_xertion.png

• Like 1

I've gotten it to work now, I had to change 6667 to 6697 and Kametsu in place of lobby.  I've managed to connect once and start downloading a file, but I keep getting banned because my nick and password isn't being recognized.

It says 'This nickname is registered and protected. If it is your nick type /msg NickServe INDENTIFY password.

I figured it out, I need to be logged into IRC - CHAT before I am accepted in Xertion.

Thank you

Edited by Blitzepidemic

I've gotten it to work now, I had to change 6667 to 6697 and Kametsu in place of lobby.  I've managed to connect once and start downloading a file, but I keep getting banned because my nick and password isn't being recognized.

It says 'This nickname is registered and protected. If it is your nick type /msg NickServe INDENTIFY password.

I figured it out, I need to be logged into IRC - CHAT before I am accepted in Xertion.

Thank you

You don't have to be logged in, the problem is either you've already registered the nick you're trying to use or someone else owns the nick you're trying to use. Either way the nick is registered so you either have to login to that nick or use a different nick. If you try to use a registered nick without logging in, it'll rename you and then kick you from the channel because guest nicks which it changes you to aren't allowed.

On that image I linked above you can type your nick password into the "nickserv password" box for it to auto-login to your nick when you connect to the network.

• 3 weeks later...