10bit to 8bit

BluerGost

Hi, I need to covert my video from 10bit to 8bit bit with out loosing much of the video quality &  with Minimum Hardware usage. I saw some places that ffms2 can do it but I really don't know how to use it. I am newbie at this so detail instruction would be really helpful to me :)

You'd need an encoder that can read 10-bit encodes properly. From what I'm told, handbrake can encode from 10-bit but it cannot encode to 10-bit; so for people just looking for a quick convert without having to get into the nitty-gritty of proper encoding or avisynth etc... Handbrake would be the way to go. Obviously any encoding from an already compressed source will result in detail loss; also it's likely you'll create some banding by losing that extra color-depth 10-bit has. However if that's what you want then that's what you'll have to deal with.

Set CRF between 15-18 for 720p, and 18-21 for 480p. Test for best results. Lower crf # = higher quality (more bitrate allowed, bigger file size). Set audio as "passthrough" since you don't need to encode it again. Set Tune to Grain for better results with maintaining details. You'll probably want to set h624 level to 4.1 and use ref 4-6.

• Like 2

I've used Handbrake for this, but with every additional encode it will be that much further from the source video. Unless you have complete confidence in the 10 bit version or there isn't an 8 bit version, it isnt a great idea, but go ahead.

Basically just put the 10bit video into handbrake like any other video, no extra settings needed.

Lately these are my settings for Handbrake. It goes slow but has good results. My computer isn't exactly a titan either so its not too strenuous.

b-adapt=2:direct=auto:b-pyramid=strict:me=umh:subme=10:trellis=2:no-dct-decimate=1

Edited by BadmanEncodes
  • Like 1

You'd need an encoder that can read 10-bit encodes properly. From what I'm told, handbrake can encode from 10-bit but it cannot encode to 10-bit; so for people just looking for a quick convert without having to get into the nitty-gritty of proper encoding or avisynth etc... Handbrake would be the way to go. Obviously any encoding from an already compressed source will result in detail loss; also it's likely you'll create some banding by losing that extra color-depth 10-bit has. However if that's what you want then that's what you'll have to deal with.

Set CRF between 15-18 for 720p, and 18-21 for 480p. Test for best results. Lower crf # = higher quality (more bitrate allowed, bigger file size). Set audio as "passthrough" since you don't need to encode it again. Set Tune to Grain for better results with maintaining details. You'll probably want to set h624 level to 4.1 and use ref 4-6.

Ya, I kind of figured if I convert video to 8bit it will loose that extra color-depth 10-bit has.

Here is the setting. Can you 2 check if everything ok. http://i.minus.com/ibwynI6GdGCrNm.jpg

Koby, I found the h264 level u told about but when I use the advance tab it goes away....http://i.minus.com/iTR8g6hlsi1VF.jpg

Also I didnt find any audio Pass-through option.

Why not use x264 with --bluray-compat? Results shouldn't be too bad:

avs_dir = "E:\Programs\Encoding\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\"tools_dir = "E:\Programs\Encoding\tools\"SetMemoryMax(1024)LoadPlugin(tools_dir + "ffms2-2.18-rc1\x86\ffms2.dll")FFVideoSource("D:\_watched\Casshern Sins\[Kametsu] Casshern Sins - 01 [Blu-Ray][10bit][720p][CE25ABB9].mkv")
avs4x264mod -L "E:\Programs\Encoding\tools\x264\x264_x64_8bit" --preset placebo --bluray-compat yes --crf 15 --profile high --level 4.1 --output "out.mkv" "ep1.avs"

Why not use x264 with --bluray-compat? Results shouldn't be too bad:

avs_dir = "E:\Programs\Encoding\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\"

tools_dir = "E:\Programs\Encoding\tools\"

SetMemoryMax(1024)

LoadPlugin(tools_dir + "ffms2-2.18-rc1\x86\ffms2.dll")

FFVideoSource("D:\_watched\Casshern Sins\[Kametsu] Casshern Sins - 01 [Blu-Ray][10bit][720p][CE25ABB9].mkv")

avs4x264mod -L "E:\Programs\Encoding\tools\x264\x264_x64_8bit" --preset placebo --bluray-compat yes --crf 15 --profile high --level 4.1 --output "out.mkv" "ep1.avs"

Like I said I dont know how to do anything. Only think I have little idea is Handbreak,Megui&VAFE soft .

So, Can you explain it will a bit more info so even I can understand ur instruction =D

Edited by bluergost

Hmm theres honestly no way to do it absolutely right on the first try.

Just try encoding a few seconds of video with a lot of motion in it, and tweak the settings until you get it right. (Something that would be a red flag if the encoding was bad) A good example is the opening scene with the grass in Vampire Hunter D.

Also read about each setting in the advanced settings (it's a pain, but once it's over you know them and can just save a preset and move on)

http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/PictureSettings

I think this is the FAQ i used. Some weren't on here so i googled the rest to figure out what i wanted. It's all trial & error... and comparisons.

I'm not completely confident with vlc right now, but here's one motion comparison

http://imgur.com/a/dDcNN#1

Edited by BadmanEncodes
  • Like 1

Another option is transcoding on the fly. I personally use Universal Media Server to transcode on the fly if I wanted to watch 10bit 1080p on my phone or tablet (also any device that supports DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server i.e. Xbox, PS3, Smart TVs, etc etc). Works pretty decent, but you don't have video seeking options or chapter support. Though I haven't really looked into it. You of course have to edit profile configurations to get the most out of it. But it's pretty idiot proof if you know how to read... It has support for styled subs and avisynth+ffmpeg encoding, so you could do filters and have whatever scripts you want. I personally am using MEncoder at the moment.

Well if I feel like it I can do a proper guide for it, though it's pretty much idiot proof so there is really no point, other than making a noob guide.

• Like 1

So, Can you explain it will a bit more info so even I can understand ur instruction =D

It's just an AVS script loading the video which is then sent through avs4x264mod to the 8bit version of x264.

The only setting you may want to play with is crf. There is no point wasting time with the others.

Oh, and you might want to add the rest of the process to a batch unless you want to remux manually. I'm pretty sure you can replace the video in an mkv file without demuxing it all...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...