Computer Randomly Shuts Down

Botzz

I don't have much information on whats wrong.. But it goes fine until I do hard computing or something, most of the time it shuts down during an encode. I've tried virus checking, dusting out my case, making sure all the power cables were secure inside the case.. But no dice. It's been happening ever since I had to take out my CMOS battery to reset my BIOS settings, and that's all the information of got. Any help would be GREAT :)

I'm just taking a stab in the dark here, but have you checked if your computer is overheating? That "random" shut down sounds like it may be a safety precaution by your computer. As for what program you would use to check, I'm sure there are several, including one that may already come with your computer, but one I suggest is SpeedFan.

i think l3ki is being a bit extreme im leaning more towards overheat in this case and i would recommend backing up your data anyways and doing a heat test using any number of programs if you cant fix the overheat dont risk frying your processor it could also be since your overheating your cpu fan is dying and it might be time to get a new one

I'd never thought about overheating.. But it does seem hot and the CPU fan (might I add, my only fan other than the one built into my PSU) doesn't seem to be working too well, I'll check it out and report back.

EDIT: There were HUGE amounts of dust in my PSU fan, GPU fan and CPU fan. Lets see if this fixes it

EDIT2: YES! Seems it was the fact that there was a major clog of dust in my system that was making it overheat and now it even runs faster :o Thanks guys!!

Haha! Well, good thing you got it fixed. I make a habit of cleaning out my computer at least once a year, or once I start noticing dust bunnies on the bottom of the inside of my computer (easy since I have one of those towers with a window on a side panel). Open-screw design also helps encourage me to clean up regularly, heh.

glad to hear it botzz the reason why your computer is running faster is i have to assume that your running an intel processor which lowers its processing speed if it starts getting too hot an intel fan can even be run without a fan but thats not recommended anyways glad to hear it be lucky my gramps didnt clean out his computer for a long time and the fan on his PSU went out and when the power supply overheated and burnt out it surged and took out his processor and motherboard

will i think it may be the power supply i had a computer that did that and will i still have it i put in a new power supply hopeing that will work and will it did for a long time but soon it started doing it agen and come to find out i turnd on my computer and unpluged the power butten and that fixed it so yes turn on your computer and unplug the power butten and see if that works for you man

• 2 weeks later...

I have built three custom rigs and from what I gather overheating is probably your culprit. First as a has already been suggested, get Speedfan also blow out any excessive dust in the internals.

Me again, sorry, have there been any changes made in hardware recently i.e. graphics card memory etc? If so your current power supply may not be up to the tasks or is in and of itself failing. Hope this helps.