Why do most anime series not cover the entire manga versions/deviate from them? (help?)

CardGames

First of all... I'm really sorry if this is has been asked before. If it has then please forgive me. I just didn't find this out until yesterday in all honesty.

So I was doing some research on some animes I've watched in the past, am currently watching, and want to watch and I found a truth I really don't like AT ALL.

Quite a lot of the animes I've watched/want to watch/am watching don't cover the ENTIRE mangas that they are based on. Or they deviate from the storylines that are in the manga.

The most notable of this being Beck Mongolian Chop Squad, K-ON, Soul Eater, Nabari no Ou, Kekkaishi, and Elfen Lied.

What the hell? Seriously?

Why is this ALWAYS the case? In Soul Eater and Nabari's case the animes deviate SEVERELY from the manga version. Why?

Why do anime versions not cover ALL of the mangas they are based on? I just don't understand this.

Now that I've found out the Elfen Lied manga continues after the anime, I have to rewatch the gory thing just so I can finish it in manga format and I have to go back to Nabari to where the manga deviates from the anime.

I just can't seem to understand this. I really don't. Why can't the animes just cover ALL of their manga versions? Why can't the animes stay true to the manga storylines and NOT deviate them?

I just can't seem to understand this.

Anyone have any ideas to why it's like this? Can anyone help me out here?

Or is this some age-old question that no one has an answer to?

I'd really appreciate any help with this.

Thank you.

Not all anime are like this.

Also to answer your question....

In japan now adays they are given a certain amount of episodes, it is usualy 13 to 26 episodes, and no more for most anime since the 2000's.

the show must complete a story within that amount of time, and if they hav high enough dvd sales or ratings, that will get another season later on.

Also, if the anime is cought up to the events for the manga, and they still have to do so many episodes, then they make up there own ending.

back in the day starting from the beginning of anime back in the 60's all the way to the 90's, depending on the show, you could have any amount of episodes, but no more than what you have asked for before production started, so you could have as many episodes as you needed, and very rarely did anime get canceled or dropped.

Though they did have extra shows

As I said there are some anime who don't just stop, or deviate from the story completely, but not many now adays.

to name a few

DBZ

Kinnikuman

FMA Brotherhood

Fairy Tail

Patalliro

No.6

Babel II 1970's

Cyborg 009 2000's

and many more

Edited by Tsukumo Yuma

The most plausible explanation for this that I can think of would be to provide some sort of difference. In producers minds, especially since anime are usually only one or two seasoned affairs, there is simply no point in spending a considerable amount of time (13-26 hours per series on average) watching the exact same thing that you've already read, especially since manga are visual by nature. Because of this, reading manga and watching anime both fill the void found with novels involving character visualization and settings. 

Personally, I can usually read a volume of manga in an hour on average (usually longer for slice of life and long-winded genres, shorter for action genres). So, for me, if I had to choose between reading or watching the exact same thing, I would pick reading because it takes less time, thus allowing me to read more.

Because of the differentiating story lines, however, both the manga and the anime provide a separate take on the same story, thus giving an actual reason to partake in both; If you don't watch the anime, you are losing out on its take on the story.

I apologize for the lengthy explanation, but I believe this provides the most plausible reason for the difference.

Also - most anime that are based off manga are being produced at the same time as the manga. A reason for this is that the anime studios want to make sure the anime is popular, and the easiest way is to pick a manga/light novel that IS popular right now.

The problem being that the anime covers what the manga does, but much faster. Anime episodes come out weekly, and manga chapters come out weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. That's not including any hiatus if the authors get sick. On top of this, one episode of anime generally has the content of 3 chapters or more.

It's not uncommon for the anime to catch up to the manga, or even pass it. This was true for the bleach anime, claymore, the original hellsing anime, etc.

There are three ways for the anime to deal with this.
1. End the season, wait for more content to come out. Once there is enough for another season, make it.
2. Fillers. Bleach did this, as well as a lot of other anime. This gives the time to build up more content while the anime lives off of fillers. Once their is enough content, the anime goes back into story-line mode.
3. Make original content once you catch up. This is where the storyline branches off, and deviates from the manga.

#3 is one of the reasons why anime deviates from manga.

ALSO. If the anime is following the manga, but isn't getting the views / sales, it's up to the studio to decide. "Okay, the audience doesn't like this. Let's change it." Haha.

So they don't give a fuck about their fans?

I don't think it's so much as they don't give a f**k, but rather they don't have much of a choice in most cases.

I think everyone else has already said it, but when both the manga and anime of the same series are both ongoing, then the animation company has no choice really, but to continue on regardless. They're given a budget, a certain amount of episodes to work with, and have to craft something within those guidelines.

I feel you though, it's sucks when an anime deviates SEVERELY from the manga. Personally, I'd rather an anime, just go on hiatus or just end off where the manga leaves off, rather than just make up stuff along. Cause once they make up storyline, there isn't really any going back, right? They gotta roll with it....

There is that rare exception with Full Metal Alchemist, where the first season of the anime deviated from the manga half way, but it retained its popularity, long enough for a second season to appear which absolutely followed the manga AND even managed end exactly when the manga finished. But that's like...once in a blue moon...

So they don't give a fuck about their fans?

Gee... that is sounding all to familiar for A LOT of other companies I know that won't be named.

Anyway...

Thanks for the answers and the help.

Now if I could just find a good place to read manga online for free...

:hguit5:

Nah, in most cases if a show has low ratings or product sales in japan, they won't bother continue it, since they arent making enough money.

Also for shows that are caught up with the book, they start making up there own ending because the manga is not funished, so they have to end the show.

As for manga sites, there are plenty, I recomend Manga Park, Mangago, and Batoto

Edited by Tsukumo Yuma