Need help using BDSup2Sub

Zero93644

I have been looking into how to resize PGS subtitles from 1080p to 720p. Someone suggested using BDSup2Sub and it seems to work, but only with one file at a time. Does anyone know how to use it in batch mode? It would make things a lot easier. Also I know some of you would suggest converting to ass format. I just don't have the time to OCR and go line by line to make sure everything is perfect. Then choose a font and color that looks nice, Then play through and make sure there are no timing errors and to change subtitles positions for things like signs and songs. 

Edited by Zero93644

Command line. That is how most batch things.

I have no clue how to use command line. Can you show me an example. Assume all I want to do is convert resolution from 1080p to 720p for 13 episodes say Attack on Titan. Show me exactly how you would do it in commandline. So all I would have to do is copy and paste then change filenames and paths.

• Extract all .sup files with eac3to or a similar program. Place them in a folder somewhere.
  • Create a .bat file. Easiest way is to right click > create text file > rename with .bat at the end, not .txt (you may have to untick 'Hide extensions for known file types' in Folder Options).
  • In the new .bat file, add something like this:

::Change to unicode, avoiding stupid issueschcp 65001::Do some funky stuffjava -jar BDSup2Sub -r 720 -o ep1.sub ep1.supjava -jar BDSup2Sub -r 720 -o ep2.sub ep2.sup::Don't close my damn window@pause
You may want (read: need) to add the BDSup2Sub path to your environment's Path variable.

Edit: Ninja edits.

Edited by JohnFlower

• Extract all .sup files with eac3to or a similar program. Place them in a folder somewhere.
  • Create a .bat file. Easiest way is to right click > create text file > rename with .bat at the end, not .txt (you may have to untick 'Hide extensions for known file types' in Folder Options).
  • In the new .bat file, add something like this:

::Change to unicode, avoiding stupid issueschcp 65001::Do some funky stuffjava -jar BDSup2Sub -r 720 -o ep1.sub ep1.supjava -jar BDSup2Sub -r 720 -o ep2.sub ep2.sup::Don't close my damn window@pause
You may want (read: need) to add the BDSup2Sub path to your environment's Path variable.

Edit: Ninja edits.

Thanks I'll try it.

• 2 months later...

I downloaded a 1920x1080 resolution blu-ray but one with the black bars on the sides because the video is 4:3. I cropped of the black bars and resized to 960x720p but now the pgs subtitles aren't centered when playing in wmp. I usually use MPC but I want them to be able play correctly if I watched them on a device other than my computer. 

Use the scale feature in BDSup2Sub.

Changing the aspect ratio does seem weird, though. What exactly are you doing?

Yeah um studios who do the Blu-rays for 4:3 anime are stupid. They add black bars to force 16:9 viewing and make the subs display at the 16:9 resolution so you end up with subs going over into the huge black bars on the side. It just looks stupid if you ask me.

The alternative I'd recommend is to stop using PGS and start putting the effort into your releases by using ASS; but I understand most encoders are too lazy. I tend to act like PGS releases don't even exist. Hence why I'd never bother with any of your releases.

What do you mean by scale feature? I converted the resolution to 1280x720 but the video is 960x720 so the subs aren't centered when playing in wmp they are more to the right. 

Yeah um studios who do the Blu-rays for 4:3 anime are stupid. They add black bars to force 16:9 viewing and make the subs display at the 16:9 resolution so you end up with subs going over into the huge black bars on the side. It just looks stupid if you ask me.

The alternative I'd recommend is to stop using PGS and start putting the effort into your releases by using ASS; but I understand most encoders are too lazy. I tend to act like PGS releases don't even exist. Hence why I'd never bother with any of your releases.

I have already started retiming fansubs for some of the things I have encoded. I just wanted to be able to include both ass and pgs subs if possible.  

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with Blu-Ray is that it only supports 16:9 aspect ratio for a HD material, even if you use a 1440x1080p resolution you still have to add black bars, 4:3 aspect ratio is supported only on 480p or 576p.