What anime would my ex like?

I'm thinking of showing her K-ON!, because she seems to like musical and performing arts shows (Glee, Smash, Nashville, VICTORiOUS, and to a lesser extent Hannah Montana).

She also wants to try High School of the Dead, because she's into the horror genre (think most horror movies or American Horror Story, which she's also into).

She also reads the Chibi Vampire manga, so Karin is a no brainer for her (She seems to like vampire things too, like Twilight, Cirque du Freak, Dark Shadows, etc.)

The other things she seems to like are just generic sitcoms like Friends, The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, 2 Broke Girls, Community, etc.

So what else do you think she would like? Just a few things...

- She's a little afraid of guns. I know HSotD has a lot of gun use, but they're mostly used against zombies and I showed her the "Matrix Boobs" clip and she laughed.

- She doesn't like things that make fun of or insult Christianity. But Christian themed stuff, she loves, from VeggieTales to History Channel's The Bible.

Edited by Bonkfast

For musical series, Nabari no Ou, Beck!, and Nerima Daikon Brothers are other good ones.

HotD isn't a horror at all. Some better horror ones include Another, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, Umineko no Namu Koro Ni, Shiki, and Corpse Party.

As for Christian stuff, you should watch Chrono Crusade and D Gray Man

Also anything on my MAL page that is over an 8 I would recommend..

I would second Ghost Hunt, though since it deals with the supernatural it might bother her.  I would also second Beck, its about music but its more on the realistic side of things.

If she's into twilight and sparkly vampires, Vampire Knight might interest her. I didn't get to far into it as its not my cup of tea, but its a high school setting with glamorous vampires and a romance story in there as well. (also, make sure she watches an episode of hellsing for the hell of it (especially if she likes horror) ^_^)

I would also recommend some splice of life shows like;

Kokoro Connect - about a group of students that go through some crazy things and get to know each other in the process (hard to describe without spoilers)

Clover - about a group of college art students and their lives

I would also throw in fruits basket, its an excellent light hearted series about a girl who gets involved with a family with its own set of secrets, the foremost of which is that they turn into one of the 12 animals of the zodiac if they are hugged by a member of the opposite sex.

School Rumble - a romantic comedy with a bit of everything. It follows an entire class along with their crushes and interests and the comedy and chaos that ensues. Its more comedy than anything.

Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka (is this a zombie?) - about a guy who gets brought back from the dead by a necromancer, and then turned into a chainsaw wielding magical girl (minus the sex change), also has vampire ninja and other fun stuff, kind of like a horror comedy.

xxxHolic - like ghost hunt, it is a series of ghost stories. It deals heavily with the supernatural and spiritualism which may turn her off, but if thats not an issue its an excellent series with some light humor. It has ties with Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles and Card Captor Sakura but is its own thing

Princess Resurrection - a horror comedy. its technically harem but without the fan-service or dirty humor. Its all about vampires and werewolves and things that go bump in the night, has an interesting cast of characters and a good story

Sankarea - You might want to preview this one first as it has some pretty sick sordid things it deals with and I don't mean the necrophilia. Its about a guy who is obsessed with zombie movies who, in a roundabout way, turns a girl who commits suicide into a zombie, his ideal girlfriend. I wouldn't call it horror, and it takes an interesting angle on zombies.

Murder Princess - A very short series but packed with its own brand of awesome (a bit reminiscent of soul eater, which I only watched a little of but you might want to consider it as well), about a princess who swaps bodies with a ruthless mercenary who saves her kingdom as the Murder Princess. Its an action series with halloweenish themes.

Nura, Rise of the Yokai - about a half yokai (japanese monsters, not a specific species, kind of like the celtic fae if your familiar with that) kid who is the leader of the strongest yokai family in japan and his double life. Has comedy, action, and romance themes.

Durarara - (I would have thrown in baccano, but there's a section where a group of alchemists summon the devil to gain immortality and the way its gone about might upset her) This series mostly follows a group of 3 friends in the big city and the crazy things that go on there, including a headless rider (on a motorcycle that sounds like a horse), and other things of varying degrees of normal to supernatural. Has an emphasis on unique characters and storytelling.

Nodame Cantabile - just started this series so I can't say too much, but its a romantic comedy about some music students. Heavily involves music, but the classical kind, but worth mentioning.

Edited by Mordeth_Kai

When I say things that insult Christianity, I mean things like Family Guy and South Park that make fun of it constantly.

As for why we're not together, it's because things just got too busy for us and we mutually separated. Some people at my workplace want us to try again, but that's nigh impossible now that she's away at college.

As for why I'm trying to show her anime, it's partly out of her interest in High School of the Dead (she saw a manga on the shelf) and Karin (since she reads Chibi Vampire). Another part is that she got me to watch Zoey 101. I'm not very interested in that show (though it's not the worst thing I've ever seen, it's just not something I'd go out of my way to watch), but I endure it for her and because we talk during it and a few other personal things. She's really not a huge anime fan outside of Miyazaki, but I think it's about time she tries something. Plus, HSotD only has about one fifth of Zoey 101's episode count, and Karin only has about two fifths. Perfect titles.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Edited by Bonkfast
  • Like 1

I'm thinking of showing her K-ON!, because she seems to like musical and performing arts shows (Glee, Smash, Nashville, VICTORiOUS, and to a lesser extent Hannah Montana).

She also wants to try High School of the Dead, because she's into the horror genre (think most horror movies or American Horror Story, which she's also into).

She also reads the Chibi Vampire manga, so Karin is a no brainer for her (She seems to like vampire things too, like Twilight, Cirque du Freak, Dark Shadows, etc.)

The other things she seems to like are just generic sitcoms like Friends, The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, 2 Broke Girls, Community, etc.

So what else do you think she would like? Just a few things...

- She's a little afraid of guns. I know HSotD has a lot of gun use, but they're mostly used against zombies and I showed her the "Matrix Boobs" clip and she laughed.

- She doesn't like things that make fun of or insult Christianity. But Christian themed stuff, she loves, from VeggieTales to History Channel's The Bible.

How about BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad? It is a music/performance series. It is a bit more serious than K-on ;p.