Requesting Help in creating - High Quality Small Encodes

slick1109

I just recently build a new computer and I am interested in learning to encode Cartoons, Movies and Tv Shows in very small sizes while maintaining high quality. 

I have been messing around with Handbrake and have encoded some fairly good quality cartoons recently.  I used MediaInfo to view the settings of a professionally encoded movie and did my best to copy them into Handbrake.  After MANY Test encodes, the results were pretty good, but not perfect.  I have read several online tutoriuals and learned a little, but still need help.

I also tried using MeGUI as well, although I find it a LOT more complicated than Handbrake.  I tried some profiles from others posted online and the results were mixed.  I would much prefer to use handbrake, but if I need to use MeGUI or some other encoding software to get the results I am looking for, then thats fine.

I am interested in the following size/quality type of encodes:

2 Hour 1280x720p Movie = 500-800MB

1 Hour 1280x720p TV Show = 250-300MB

30 min 1280x720p Cartoon = 100-150MB

30 min 720x480p TV Show/cartoon = ??? (Obviously less than 720p size)

I know encoders like YIFY, NITRO, etc are very good at this, but they keep their settings a secret for some reason.

My new Desktop is running a "i7-4770K 3.5Ghz" processor with "32GB DDR3 1600" Ram, although I have not purchased a video card yet.  My computer and processor also run at pretty good temps.  Under normal load my processor runs at about 30degrees and when encoding and all 4 cores are running at 100% it has still never gone higher than 66degrees.

So I have the computing power, I have the desire to learn, and I even have the time ......... all I need is someone to teach me.

Any Help from someone Proven and Experienced in this type of Encoding would be very helpful.

Thank You :)

MeGui + AVISynth will do what your wanting with ease.

AVISynth is probably the best tool out there for making videos in good quality. It just takes a bit of studying and learning about proper filters and when to use them. Once you get that down your more than set and it will out do Handbrake with ease and with better results.

• Like 1

well ...humm I use this simple launcher by mulder ....use crf 22  and set the quialty at med and have great results..only drawback is this will recode your video .h264 but just your video you'll need to remux everything back by using  mkv toolnix ...also try having your audio as MP3(128 or higher) rather than PCM or flac those are excellent for quality but are uncompressed aka lossless  therefore huge....

...just remember always start with excellent high quality encode of your desired movie or episode(use PCM things will stay in sync more often than not)... recode to a higher quality then reduce the encode to the lighter file afterwards...

to truely ensure your files audio and video sync correctly NEVER change your frame rate!!

you change either your audio down to 128kbs(96kbs if your very very desperate) or the video bit rate to 700 ....

there high quality mini codes ...no fuss and no fussy handbrake settings to fiddle with

• Like 1

Mr flower ....not everyone can support the very large files of today ...many small "note-pad" type comps and "mini-comps" can not,,, they'll support a res for videos at 512x384 or 512x288 ....(I have one,,)

you can have a "high quality" in a low-res situation ...its possible ...I play my files to my tv and they are still of very good viewing quality(from my desktop) .....both can exist with any given file of smaller size ....just as super crappiness can be found within those "HD" files that many just adore and love.... which is prefectly fine to love and adore...all depends on the care of the encoder and the file source ...crap begets crap ....as does a high quality source file begets a "high quality" smaller file  ...there is a limit to just how small you can go ...yes ...then you can complain about quality versus size ....

Edit : not everyone actually likes to use avisynth....(I can but prefer not to write script after script...after script) ...I will agree there is a trade off ...and accept that fact

Edited by Neko-fish
  • Like 1

Here are the settings I have been using that give me the best quality so far:

Picture:

Anamorphic = Loose

modulus = 2

(Modulus 16 also works well)

Automatic Cropping

Filters:

Detelecine = default

decomb = default

deinterlace = OFF

denoice = weak

deblock = 5

Video

codec = H264(x264)

framerate = 23.976

constant framerate

constant quality = 18 - 30 (Ususally either 21 or 24)

Audio:

codec: AAC (faac)

bitrate = 96

stereo

Advanced:

reference frames = 5 (sometimes 10)

max b-frames = 5 (sometimes 10)

cabac

8x8 transform

weighted p-frames

pyramidal p-frames = normal (default)

adaptive b-frames = optimal

adaptive direct mode = spatial

motion est method = uneven multi-hexagon

subpixel motion est = 9 RD refine in ALL frames

motion est range = 24

partition type = most

trellis = 2 (always)

adaptive quant strength = 1

rate distortion = 1

psychovisual trellis = 0

deblocking = 0,0

These settings provide fairly decent results.  Most of my encodes even look better than the original source because it removes the blocky/blurry image found on a lot of older dvd quality tv shows.  I assume that is because the filters are actually removing a thin layer of the video to reveal a clearer picture underneath.  Unfortunately that also dulls the colors sometimes as well.

Some problems I encounter with my encodes:

-As mentioned above, colors are sometimes slightly duller than the original

-Solid black lines are often broken up.  For example, a cartoon characters eyebrow is just a strait black line, and after encoding it might have small pieces of that line missing, most likely due to the filters.

-Audio is often VERY low.  I have tried increasing the audio to 128kbps and even 320 but it does not make much of a difference.  I even tried using the Ac3 codec, but again not much of a change (expect in file size).  Not sure why.

-In a few cartoons, the picture seemed ....... shacky.  Not sure how to describe it, but watching it would give me a headache.

I am also using the same settings for 480p movies, 720p movies, and cartoons.  I usually only change the constant framerate setting to get the size/quality I want, but nothing else.  Obviously that cant be right.  I should not be using the samr settings for Animation that I do for movies, but I dont know what settings to change for each.

These are the types of things I need help with.  Also, the setting I listed are for "Handbrake" and I am not positive yet on how to port them to MeGUI.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks.

Edited by slick1109

have you tried to set the DRC to a higher level ....???

in your filters you may want to turn on "de-interlace" you can use either one "slow" or "fast" you'll need to check to see just which is  needed by any given file....this will actually help your picture quality

go from "weak" denoise to "med" ....

for audio tweak it to 128 and a sample rate of 44 or 48 .... DRC at 2

and please remember no more than 5-7% of any given file should be "B" frames if by chance one of those becomes a Keyframe for either your audio or your sub track .....recoding the file to something else later on will de-sync your file ....your originally re-coded baby will play fine no worries there  ...its the odd fact that in most re-coding when frames are skipped/dropped its usually "B" frames that are removed....

hope it helps a tad ....

Edit : ...hummm I guess you could use 24 as the audio sample rate also ...I checked some of my "toonage" and some did have a sample rate of 24

Edit 2 : sorry just wanted to tell you ...you do not need VLC in your comp to use the "pre-view" ...just replace the "vlc" search line by using "browse" to go to any installed player exe

just go to that players program folder and click on it's exe and your done

Edited by Neko-fish
  • Like 1

have you tried to set the DRC to a higher level ....???

in your filters you may want to turn on "de-interlace" you can use either one "slow" or "fast" you'll need to check to see just which is  needed by any given file....this will actually help your picture quality

go from "weak" denoise to "med" ....

for audio tweak it to 128 and a sample rate of 44 or 48 .... DRC at 2

and please remember no more than 5-7% of any given file should be "B" frames if by chance one of those becomes a Keyframe for either your audio or your sub track .....recoding the file to something else later on will de-sync your file ....your originally re-coded baby will play fine no worries there  ...its the odd fact that in most re-coding when frames are skipped/dropped its usually "B" frames that are removed....

hope it helps a tad ....

Edit : ...hummm I guess you could use 24 as the audio sample rate also ...I checked some of my "toonage" and some did have a sample rate of 24

Edit 2 : sorry just wanted to tell you ...you do not need VLC in your comp to use the "pre-view" ...just replace the "vlc" search line by using "browse" to go to any installed player exe

just go to that players program folder and click on it's exe and your done

I have never touched the "DRC" level before for Audio.  I believe it has to do with compression, but I am not exactly sure what it does.  It seems mine is set as "0.0".

Also, How do I calculate my B-Frame percentage?  I have used settings between 3-10 but typically choose "5".

I will try the other settings you mentioned and see if they help.

Thanks.  :)

Edited by slick1109

Here is an example of a problem I am experiencing with one of my encodes.  As you can see, some of the solid black lines (like the eyebrows, and mouth) are broken up in SOME of the frames, while others look fine.  I tested the Original (Actual DVD) in both VLC and WMP and it looks good.  I was mainly testing my encodes in WMP and the broken lines told me I was doing something wrong.  Then I tested the same encodes in VLC Player and they looked almost completely fixed like the original.  Perhaps VLC player has some settings on to improve the picture by default.  Any idea on what is causing this?

ORIGINAL:

original.png

ENCODE - Windows Media Player (Click to ENLARGE to see the problem)

encode_wmp.png

ENCODE - VLC Player

encode_vlc.png

Edited by slick1109

Here is an example of a problem I am experiencing with one of my encodes.  As you can see, some of the solid black lines (like the eyebrows, and mouth) are broken up in SOME of the frames, while others look fine.  I tested the Original (Actual DVD) in both VLC and WMP and it looks good.  I was mainly testing my encodes in WMP and the broken lines told me I was doing something wrong.  Then I tested the same encodes in VLC Player and they looked almost completely fixed like the original.  Perhaps VLC player has some settings on to improve the picture by default.  Any idea on what is causing this?

ORIGINAL:

original.png

ENCODE - Windows Media Player (Click to ENLARGE to see the problem)

encode_wmp.png

ENCODE - VLC Player

encode_vlc.png

There also seems to be a problem with the aspect ratio of your output...

The source seems to be in 16:9, while the output is a little bit taller.

Whenever you rip from a DVD, keep in mind a couple of details:

1. Most of the times, the video will be interlaced, so you should turn on the "deinterlace" filter. If you end up with an output looking worse than the source, turn the deinterlace filter off and turn on the "decomb" filter.

2.  If you check out the original files you will find that most of them have a 720x480 resolution. However, as you can see, the aspect ratio changes automatically to either 4:3 or 16:9 when you play it. When you're gonna rip it an the program doesn't set the correct resolution automatically, you should choose the right size for the output. Otherwise, you will end up with an image ether a wider o a taller  than the original.

For 4:3 video (fullscreen, used in older TVs): 640x480 or 720x540 for DVD quality content, and 960x720 or 1440x1080 for HD/blu-ray quality content

For 16:9 video (widescreen, used in most of modern TVs): 720x400 or 856x480 for DVD quality content, and 1280x720 or 1920x1080 for HD/blu-ray quality content

I hope it helps somebody :exciting:

Edited by BalooBear
  • Like 1

I believe the problem you're having is a combination of aliasing, and using handbrake to clean non-progressive video. Handbrake is, IMPO, the wrong tool for non-progressive video. It lacks the fine tuning you can achieve from a more advanced filter you would find in avisynth. Avisynth will also offer a host of other filters to combat aliasing, rainbows, mosquito noise, and other crud you would rather not preserve. Handbrake should really only be used when you have progressive video that just needs to be compressed. 

• Like 1

Never use WMP to take screenshots. VLC should be avoided as well.

Setup MPC-HC + madVR and take your screenshots that way.

I can try Media Player Classic as it is part of the Klite Codec Pack, although I typically install "lots of suff without player".... but thats not a problem.  However I have no idea what "MadVR" is.  I googled it and found a link to download it, but not sure what it is or what to do with it exactly.  I have to assume that you are reccommending it to me to take screenshots with?

EDIT:  OK, just installed MPC-HC and madVR.  Entered MPC settings and changed the renderer to madVR and then took a new screenshot (by going to File\Save Image).  Unfortunately they are coming out small compared to the others I took (claim to be 720x480).   I uploaded it at full size and then this forum unfortunately shrunk it some more when using the image tag, so now its too small to even see the quality.  Is there a way to fix this?  If not, try this direct link instead

http://postimg.org/image/ral6lrfhh/

Encode - MPC-HC and madVR screenshot:

MPC.jpg

There also seems to be a problem with the aspect ratio of your output...

The source seems to be in 16:9, while the output is a little bit taller.

Whenever you rip from a DVD, keep in mind a couple of details:

1. Most of the times, the video will be interlaced, so you should turn on the "deinterlace" filter. If you end up with an output looking worse than the source, turn the deinterlace filter off and turn on the "decomb" filter.

2.  If you check out the original files you will find that most of them have a 720x480 resolution. However, as you can see, the aspect ratio changes automatically to either 4:3 or 16:9 when you play it. When you're gonna rip it an the program doesn't set the correct resolution automatically, you should choose the right size for the output. Otherwise, you will end up with an image ether a wider o a taller  than the original.

For 4:3 video (fullscreen, used in older TVs): 640x480 or 720x540 for DVD quality content, and 960x720 or 1440x1080 for HD/blu-ray quality content

For 16:9 video (widescreen, used in most of modern TVs): 720x400 or 856x480 for DVD quality content, and 1280x720 or 1920x1080 for HD/blu-ray quality content

I hope it helps somebody :exciting:

The original dvd source is 720x480, and my encodes are also 720x480.  VLC player makes it wasy to take a screenshot with the player itself, but the WMP screenshot is actually just a "Print Screen" and converted to a png with MSPaint.  That is the reason for the size difference with the "encode  - wmp" pic.

I actually did the encodes with MeGUI and used an Avisynth Profile called "16:9 720x480 (853x480) DVD, Xbox360, PS3, PSP, Zune" which I chose since it was the same as the original source and matched the aspect ratio of my Widescreen tv.  Should I have selected something else?

Thanks for the tips on the filters as well.

I believe the problem you're having is a combination of aliasing, and using handbrake to clean non-progressive video. Handbrake is, IMPO, the wrong tool for non-progressive video. It lacks the fine tuning you can achieve from a more advanced filter you would find in avisynth. Avisynth will also offer a host of other filters to combat aliasing, rainbows, mosquito noise, and other crud you would rather not preserve. Handbrake should really only be used when you have progressive video that just needs to be compressed. 

Actually, I used MeGUI for the encode.  It was reccommended to be earlier my someone so I tried it.  I am still not comfortable with it yet, but found a few Profiles to try it with and those are the results I got.  Not that it means much without posting the specifics, but I used a profile specifically for Animation and I selected 2-passes at a bitrate of 700 and a preset of "Placebo", which is the slowest.

The avisynth profile i used was 16:9 (720x480) and has the following template:

global MeGUI_darx = 16

global MeGUI_dary = 9

<input>

<deinterlace>

<crop>

Spline36Resize(720,480) # Spline36 (Neutral)

<denoise>

Again, I didnt really modifiy any of these Profiles, I simply tested them out to see which gave me decent results.  Although I am not completely happy with any of them yet, so I am open to recommendations.  These encodes of animated sources are actually great looking compared to the Saved-By-The-Bell episode I just tried to do.  Again, my source is the actual DVD (which doesnt look that great itself), so I am having a really hard time encoding the episodes.  I have tried many different profiles and settings without any luck.  Every one of my encodes of S-B-T-B looks blurry and pixelated.  I can post screenshots of that as well if anyone wants to take a look.

Edited by slick1109

I can try Media Player Classic as it is part of the Klite Codec Pack, although I typically install "lots of suff without player".... but thats not a problem.  However I have no idea what "MadVR" is.  I googled it and found a link to download it, but not sure what it is or what to do with it exactly.  I have to assume that you are reccommending it to me to take screenshots with?

First, remove any and all codec packs you have installed (especially k-lite).

Then follow this guide. You don't need xy-vsfilter (I recommend not using it because ALIASED FONTS). If you don't have a dedicated GPU, then don't bother with the madVR part either.

Alternatively, you could just install CCCP. It should do all of the above minus the madVR part.

• Like 1

Actually, I used MeGUI for the encode.  It was reccommended to be earlier my someone so I tried it.  I am still not comfortable with it yet, but found a few Profiles to try it with and those are the results I got.  Not that it means much without posting the specifics, but I used a profile specifically for Animation and I selected 2-passes at a bitrate of 700 and a preset of "Placebo", which is the slowest.

I would expect better performance from megui than what I'm seeing in that wmp shot. It has to be wmp's fault, because that one is awful. The vlc one is actually on par for what I'd expect from it.

That aside, your problem is still most likely aliasing. It will make your lines look all jagged and broken up. It's probably left over from the deinterlacing process. You should be able to find a fairly simple anti-aliasing filter for avisynth, there are many to choose from. I would honestly take a look at AnimeIVTC or QTGMC. They are scripts you can run in avisynth to do your deinterlacing/detelecining that will also handle cleaning up the crud it sometime leaves behind. Both will require a little more work on your part, but they are my preferred method of dealing with non-progressive material. 

You may also want to check out AvsPmod, it will probable be easier learning avisynth and it's custom filters with it. I'd keep megui around to tell you if the video needs to be deinterlaced or detelecined, but than move everything to AvsPmod. Doom9, the forum johnflower mentioned, will be a huge help in finding the filters you'll need and teaching you how to use them. 

• Like 1

I use Megui

And this is what I get.

This is the Source - 674 MB Web DL 720p

http://www.ultraimg.com/images/rqVTX.png

This is what I Get - 95 MB - 720p

http://www.ultraimg.com/images/wuqNG.png

Quality still look the same to me (Watchable). well you cant really complain about it since the only way to get a lossless quality if your source is actually untouch bluray :P

K Lite Codec Pack have MadVR.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/62694

Edited by Lemonadez

First, remove any and all codec packs you have installed (especially k-lite).

Then follow this guide. You don't need xy-vsfilter (I recommend not using it because ALIASED FONTS). If you don't have a dedicated GPU, then don't bother with the madVR part either.

Alternatively, you could just install CCCP. It should do all of the above minus the madVR part.

So I deleted Klite and installed CCCP.  On the plus side, the codecs must be better in CCCP because those "broken lines" seemed to clear themselves up, even in WMP.  On the down side, the CCCP pack must either contain less codes, or they function differently because they screwed up how video files are viewed on my computer.  About two thrird of my MKV files refuse to show thumbnails anymore and the MediaInfo information refuses to display in the statusbar.  While those may seem like trivial problems to some, they are not problems I can deal with long term, and they are just the ones i have found so far.

Why do you feel that CCCP is superior to klite, or other codec packs?

I have not yet purchased a video card because I was waiting for the release of nvidia's mid-range 700 series cards, like the GTX 750 ti, or maybe even the 800 series due to the current lack of DirectX11.2 support.  Not to mention AMD's complete failure to build working drivers for their new R7 and R9 series.  However speaking of Grapics cards, while you seem to be pushing them in terms of creating better screenshots, do they really play a major part in Video encoding or is it primarily the Processor thats important?  If the GPU really makes a difference, then what features should i be looking for in a GPU if I want it to benefit my encoding capabilities?

I would expect better performance from megui than what I'm seeing in that wmp shot. It has to be wmp's fault, because that one is awful. The vlc one is actually on par for what I'd expect from it.

That aside, your problem is still most likely aliasing. It will make your lines look all jagged and broken up. It's probably left over from the deinterlacing process. You should be able to find a fairly simple anti-aliasing filter for avisynth, there are many to choose from. I would honestly take a look at AnimeIVTC or QTGMC. They are scripts you can run in avisynth to do your deinterlacing/detelecining that will also handle cleaning up the crud it sometime leaves behind. Both will require a little more work on your part, but they are my preferred method of dealing with non-progressive material. 

You may also want to check out AvsPmod, it will probable be easier learning avisynth and it's custom filters with it. I'd keep megui around to tell you if the video needs to be deinterlaced or detelecined, but than move everything to AvsPmod. Doom9, the forum johnflower mentioned, will be a huge help in finding the filters you'll need and teaching you how to use them. 

I found and downloaded AvsProd and the two scripts you mentioned.  Not yet sure how to use any of it, so i will try and find some tutorials.

So you think I should use AvsProd instead of MeGUI?  I just feel like as soon as I start to learn one program, someone directs me to another.  Handbrake -> MeGUI -> AvsProd.  Not really sure what makes one better than another, although I am starting to see some benefits of MeGUI over handbrake.  The NERO Audio codec is MUCH better than the ones available in Handbrake, and I assume that the added benefits of Avisynth is also important, yet I still dont even completely understand what it is.

I did take a QUICK look at the Doom9 forum, and my first impression was a lot of the tutorials on there seemed rather out of date (several years old).  I agree that I should probably still read through them to learn some more of the basics, I just wonder if there are more updated (2013-2014) tutorials available somewhere, or how much the information has changed since its been posted.

If your scripts contain filters to help clear up my videos then that would be helpful.  I find that my main problems are the Older Media that I am trying to encode.  Even though I try to find the best possible source (Actual Retail DVDs), the original video is only Standard Defination and therefore not that great to begin with, while makes it hard to not ruin the quality even more while encoding it.  I feel that encoding Bluray movies would be MUCH easier since the quality is so high to begin with, that you have more room to work without losing quality.  However I prefer to start with my own personal collection of DVD's first.

The Animated Cartoons (like the duck dodgers images I uploaded) are, still not perfect, but easier to do than Film tv shows/movies.  For example, I am still getting nowhere trying to encode Saved-by-the-bell Tv show episodes direct from the Source DVD.  My encodes look rather pixelated and when i apply too many filters to clear it up then many parts look dull or even blurry.  Not sure if your scripts will help fix that or not.

EDIT:  I have read that the Avisynth Scripts you mentioned require the Unofficial Multi-Threaded version of Avisynth.  Is that true?  If so, does it matter if I use the version by SET and JoshyD OR Avisynth+ by Ultim?

Also, when trying to add the Scripts to MeGUI to test them, I noticed that the format is completely different.  The current Scripts are XML files whereas the new scripts you mentioned seem to come in HTML and AVSI files.  Do I simply copy them directly into the MeGUI/All Profiles/Avisynth folder without any modification needed?

Edited by slick1109

So I deleted Klite and installed CCCP.  On the plus side, the codecs must be better in CCCP because those "broken lines" seemed to clear themselves up, even in WMP.  On the down side, the CCCP pack must either contain less codes, or they function differently because they screwed up how video files are viewed on my computer.  About two thrird of my MKV files refuse to show thumbnails anymore and the MediaInfo information refuses to display in the statusbar.  While those may seem like trivial problems to some, they are not problems I can deal with long term, and they are just the ones i have found so far.

Why do you feel that CCCP is superior to klite, or other codec packs?

I have not yet purchased a video card because I was waiting for the release of nvidia's mid-range 700 series cards, like the GTX 750 ti, or maybe even the 800 series due to the current lack of DirectX11.2 support.  Not to mention AMD's complete failure to build working drivers for their new R7 and R9 series.  However speaking of Grapics cards, while you seem to be pushing them in terms of creating better screenshots, do they really play a major part in Video encoding or is it primarily the Processor thats important?  If the GPU really makes a difference, then what features should i be looking for in a GPU if I want it to benefit my encoding capabilities?

>Deleted. You must uninstall k-lite. Simply deleting files will not get the job done (codecs are registered with specific Windows services). You must also uninstall any and all other codec packs as well. You can use Insurgent (from the creators of CCCP) to check for left over codec packs.

CCCP is intended to be used with MPC-HC. In fact, I don't believe CCCP even supports WMP anymore... While it's great that it works, it isn't recommended.

CCCP does not generate thumbnails by default. CCCP does not include MediaInfo [lite]. (MediaInfo lite is the version that comes with k-lite, I think.)

'Why do you feel that CCCP is superior to klite, or other codec packs?': Codec packs are for the weak. But if I had to chose between CCCP and k-lite, it would definitely be CCCP purely because it doesn't have all the unnecessary crap that k-lite comes with. For beginners, there is also Shark007's codec pack. It gives you a nice UI and everything to make things easy.

I found and downloaded AvsProd and the two scripts you mentioned.  Not yet sure how to use any of it, so i will try and find some tutorials.

So you think I should use AvsProd instead of MeGUI?  I just feel like as soon as I start to learn one program, someone directs me to another.  Handbrake -> MeGUI -> AvsProd.  Not really sure what makes one better than another, although I am starting to see some benefits of MeGUI over handbrake.  The NERO Audio codec is MUCH better than the ones available in Handbrake, and I assume that the added benefits of Avisynth is also important, yet I still dont even completely understand what it is.

I did take a QUICK look at the Doom9 forum, and my first impression was a lot of the tutorials on there seemed rather out of date (several years old).  I agree that I should probably still read through them to learn some more of the basics, I just wonder if there are more updated (2013-2014) tutorials available somewhere, or how much the information has changed since its been posted.

If your scripts contain filters to help clear up my videos then that would be helpful.  I find that my main problems are the Older Media that I am trying to encode.  Even though I try to find the best possible source (Actual Retail DVDs), the original video is only Standard Defination and therefore not that great to begin with, while makes it hard to not ruin the quality even more while encoding it.  I feel that encoding Bluray movies would be MUCH easier since the quality is so high to begin with, that you have more room to work without losing quality.  However I prefer to start with my own personal collection of DVD's first.

The Animated Cartoons (like the duck dodgers images I uploaded) are, still not perfect, but easier to do than Film tv shows/movies.  For example, I am still getting nowhere trying to encode Saved-by-the-bell Tv show episodes direct from the Source DVD.  My encodes look rather pixelated and when i apply too many filters to clear it up then many parts look dull or even blurry.  Not sure if your scripts will help fix that or not.

AvsPmod is a utility. It is not a replacement for MeGUI. AvsPmod provides a nice graphical frontend for inexperienced users, enabling them to edit their AVS (Avisynth) scripts with a realtime view of the effects to their video.

Avisynth is simply a frameserver. You feed it a video, it gives you frames back. You can filter however you want in between.

The tutorials on doom9 are still relevant, even today. Avisynth has been around since early 2004, back when everyone was encoding to AVI.

Most (all) filters are destructive. You should first learn how to use the right filters for the right situation. Given that your source is DVD, you'll need to either deinterlace or inverse telecine (search doom9 for definitions/howto's). Use Decomb to deinterlace and TIVTC to inverse telecine.

I wouldn't worry about detail. You're aiming for minimkv's, so you're going to be doing very destructive things to your video. Blu-Ray movies are not easier to encode if you want them compressed.

Honestly, you really need to read doom9. You must also keep in mind that minimkv encodes will always look like shit. You will not get a minimkv encode looking/sounding exactly like your DVD source.

EDIT:  I have read that the Avisynth Scripts you mentioned require the Unofficial Multi-Threaded version of Avisynth.  Is that true?  If so, does it matter if I use the version by SET and JoshyD OR Avisynth+ by Ultim?

Also, when trying to add the Scripts to MeGUI to test them, I noticed that the format is completely different.  The current Scripts are XML files whereas the new scripts you mentioned seem to come in HTML and AVSI files.  Do I simply copy them directly into the MeGUI/All Profiles/Avisynth folder without any modification needed?

The AVSI files are the scripts you want to use, but you should really be using the plugins I mentioned. There are two reasons for this: speed and features. They should both get the job done in the end, however, so it's up to you what to use.

You need to install Avisynth 2.6 (the 2.6 ST link). If you want to utilise MT, then you will also need to download + extract SEt's avisynth.dll (the 2.6 MT link). With that done, you can put your AVSI/dll files into the 'plugins' directory. They should auto load, but if they don't, just use LoadPlugin() for dll's and Import() for AVSI's.

Avisynth+ is still in development and has very few filters. I wouldn't recommend a beginner using it.

Edited by JohnFlower
  • Like 2