Are we screwed?

AxelVIII

Ok, so in my case I am an American, I own an American based PS3 game system, and I am only fluent in the American language. I desire to play a game called "The Reminiscence of Haruhi Suzumiya" which has only been released in Japan. Now, to all of us who have games on our "Want to play" lists, that have only been released in Japan, what are we to do?

Either find enough people who want the game and hope that a fan translation comes about, get a lot more people and get an official release, or just find the japanese release and google translate everything you need.

It's sadly not likely that it will be translated, at least not officially. There just isn't a market for it in North America so they won't even bother.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much you can do to be honest. Games that don't get translated are usually a large risks for a company to take. That's why FFVI was translated and retitled as FFIII in the U.S. for the SNES in '94. A small fanbase can't possibly make up for the costs that a company would have to take to haul through the process of translating a game, and sometimes even translating it requires changes to the game; especially in modern video gaming today. You occasionally see games that slip by with just a "english sub" instead of the full english rework, but that's the most they can give you without overspending on something that they can't hope to make a return on.

At least PS3s are open region, afaik Xbox 360's are region locked. (I know how you feel, and I'll probably never see a english version of Fatal Frame IV, but at least I can play it on my PS3 without having to buy a whole new system or go about modding my PS3).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so in my case I am an American, I own an American based PS3 game system, and I am only fluent in the American language. I desire to play a game called "The Reminiscence of Haruhi Suzumiya" which has only been released in Japan. Now, to all of us who have games on our "Want to play" lists, that have only been released in Japan, what are we to do?

What is the American Language? There's plenty of Native American languages. If you are referring to English, the Language you are typing it does not belong to America there for is not "THE AMERICAN LANGUAGE" English is the #1 most common language in the whole world and America is a small part of it. In fact English started in other places in the world like England before America was even a thing.

But enough of that, just like everyone was saying not much you can do about. I do plan to someday learn Japanese for fun and this convenience. If your super lucky people will rip games to PC and translate them.