SOTW #114: Spring

firedogx - I'm very disappointed in your entry. You did practically nothing to the background at all. It looks like all you did was carefully place the render on top and text...and that is it.

Below is the background image.  I know your work is better than this.  So disappointed.  I shouldn't be able to so very easily have that exact background. Sorry.

it's not as if you haven't done the exct same thing, so it's quite hypocritical of you to lamabast someone for doing it. hello pot, meet the kettle n_n Edited by Pinkie Pie

firedogx - I'm very disappointed in your entry. You did practically nothing to the background at all. It looks like all you did was carefully place the render on top and text...and that is it.

Below is the background image.  I know your work is better than this.  So disappointed.  I shouldn't be able to so very easily have that exact background. Sorry.

it's not as if you haven't done the exct same thing, so it's quite hypocritical of you to lamabast someone for doing it. hello pot, meet the kettle n_n

I haven't since I got my Photoshop. Yes, when I hawas using just GIMP...it was hard for me to get around that, but now that I use PS I don't have problem.  I use lots of layers and effects, and have been for quite some time.  Anyways, I said those things because firedox's work is all extremely impressive and this time it wasn't.  Besides, I have the freedom to say what I think and I simply was not impressed this.  I'm allowed to think that.

Edited by Dreamcastor Rei

so when someone makes something that isn't perfect or impressive /to you/, you're going to jump down their throat about it? because that's literally what you did. yes, what firedog did was simple, but it's not like simple things haven't won in the past lol this competition isn't even about the process, it's about the end result.

i don't understand your hatred for gimp and extreme glorification of photoshop, but that's something else entirely. it isn't as if anyone in this competition is a professional, which would make them have to use the industry standard, so the program shouldn't exactly matter.

also yes, you're allowed to think that, but i'm also allowed to call someone who's being a hypocrite out for thinking that.

Seriously?  I didn't jump down anyone's throat.  I merely gave my opinion.  Yes, it's simplicity is good and it fits together.  I absolutely never said I hated GIMP.  I still use GIMP for rendering on such. There are things I can only do in GIMP.  I wasn't glorifying PS either.  I just find that I like using PS a lot.  Am I not allowed to like and dislike things?  I don't understand why you make things a bit extreme.  But this isn't the first time you have done this so I'm not really that surprise. You have your opinion and I have mine.  Let's leave it at that and just drop it.

GIMP can be a very powerful tool, inasmuch that a person can make a fantastic work of art with a simple ballpoint pen. Casting aspersions on GIMP, which may or may not even be the product firedog uses, and talking about your personal process is obfuscating the actual issue at hand, which is that you think firedog didn't do anything with the background.

It doesn't appear to be a major change (but I don't even know because I didn't actually watch the creation of the signature), but firedog clearly did adjust the background--if you put them side by side, the changes are pretty easy to see.

Arguably, a lot of people place renders that aren't heavily modified and don't seem to rely on a lot of effects and layers to make a signature. If you're going to call firedog out on that, then the same should be said for a lot of others--they "just drop a render on top of a background". I make just as many rounds about the Internet and have seen a lot of these renders appear almost exactly as they have in signatures used in SOTW.

Does that mean they're bad signatures? That there's no work being put into them? Just because they're simple? I doubt it.

Either way, we went through this in a previous SOTW--you can't make assumptions about how much time and effort a person put into a signature unless you have concrete evidence that they either cheated or didn't put in any effort at all.

If you're worried about the integrity of a person's work, please address it privately. If it gets out of hand, ask a mod to step in. Otherwise, I ask that people to please refrain from further argument. The discussion may continue, just not here in this thread.

• Like 1