To the far reaches of interesting conversations..

Fleshrip

Kotaku has an article on the vending machines. Basically while you can buy NEW underwear from vending machines, tales of used panties being sold on every corner are greatly exaggerated.

Further, according to one of the comments, "... used clothing of any sort is only supposed to be sold by licensed establishments. It's a health and safety thing, and can be punishable by up to one year in prison and the equivalent of about $50,000. http://www.hou-nattoku.com/consult/349.php"

According to the comments you can't even sell used clothing as a private individual on eBay or whatever--it has to be done through official venues regardless.

Like, there were or may have been machines that sold used panties, but they were located in sketchy machines in sketchy neighbourhoods. I mean I lived in Japan for like three years and while my memory is super sketch, I can at least attest to the fact that these machines did not exist "on every corner".

"So if you knew about them, that probably said more about the places you frequented or the things you are interested [in] than Japan."

Basically this, really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In theory it's a nice idea, except a lot of people aren't wearing the best-fitting bras and that sort of construction would seem to me to only further complicate such a misunderstood garment. Those who wear bras with larger cups would be SOL, unless there's some way to shrink it before usage. And it seems it wouldn't serve well for daily usage, since having it up against your skin and sweat would degrade whatever filters are in there, but that's just a guess on my part.

It's also disappointing that the bra only comes in primarily bra matrix sizes--they don't carry bras with cup sizes larger than D, smaller than B, nor bands smaller than 32.

Not to mention you'd have to remove your shirt to put it on, and getting chemicals on your bare skin is the opposite of fun. When we did gas mask drills, we had to get them from carrier to face within seconds. I can't imagine the amount of time it would take to take off your shirt, remove the bra, unhook the cups, and then wrap it around your head. And I guess at some point put your shirt back on? Who knows.

In all honesty, it's just weird to me that people keep trying to invent conventional uses out of underwear. It does lead to some pretty interesting concepts, but if anything, it's just a way of making a market for these products by adding a sexual edge to them. So, if anything, I guess it's marketing done rather well. I mean, I'd buy one of those. For a friend of mine. To get her reaction. I can't help but feel as if my message of wanting to make sure she's safe in any chemical situations might be missed xD

• 3 months later...