Kametsu High School Soccer Club [story]

RazorDan

http://forums.kametsu.com/index.php?/topic/35479-kametsu-high-school-soccer-club-sign-up/

Chapter 1: Welcome

It was a beautiful day in the town of Kametsu. The sun was shining, a gentle breeze was tickling the trees and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Javier Martinez was in a good mood as he strode across the freshly cut grass of the soccer field. He loved the smell of the pitch. It signalled the start of the soccer season, something Javier had been looking forward to since the traumatic events of the previous year.

He broke into a smile as he spotted Lynn leaning against the door of the changing room entrance. She was the only girl to ever play in the National High School Soccer League, and had proven a valuable asset to the team last season.

'Hi Coach,' she smiled, warmly, obviously eager to get started. She was already in full kit.

'Afternoon Lynn, great to see you. Good first day?' enquired the Coach politely, but with equal warmth.

'Yep, it was good to see everyone again. Apollo tells me there are a few new recruits?'

'So I hear, we'll find out soon enough if they're any good. Go warm up Lynn, I wanna get started as soon as possible,' stated Javier, noticing the group of boys walking towards them.

Lynn nodded and jogged off in the direction of the pitch. Javier turned towards the approaching group, scanning for faces. He noticed Apollo, Jay and Breathless, amongst a group of newbies he'd never seen before. He sighed. With the majority of last year's team gone to college, he'd hoped some other older students would join up. However, it looked as if all of the new recruits were first years. He glanced at Apollo enquiringly as he approached, the nod from the third year confirming his suspicions.

'ITS POLO!' came a high pitched shout from benches on the side of the pitch. Javier rolled his eyes at his captain, who in return waved sheepishly in the direction of the crowd of girls that had gathered to watch the soccer players. The Soccer Team was hugely popular at the school, and being the captain, coupled with his good looks, made Apollo a minor celebrity on campus. Breathless and Jay were pretty popular and good looking themselves, and with the presence of a girl on the team, many other schools had branded Kametsu High as soft and weak. In fact, with the team being officially called the Kametsu Bears, opposition schools had taken to chanting Teddies at his team during matches. It irked Javier, but he took great pleasure in watching his team rip through many opponents with their devastatingly technical play. Being a proud Spaniard, he preached an effective yet aesthetically pleasing style of passing soccer, one that was far too skilful for many of the more physical and athletic yet technically limited schools that belonged to the Kametsu region.

He studied the line of freshmen in front of him, counting 11. Time for the test, he thought.

'Okay freshmen. Now, you must all answer one question and one question only. I don't wanna see you play or go near a ball till you answer this question understand?' he barked.

The freshmen looked confused. They were all in their kit, clearly anticipating a game of soccer and unprepared for what Javier had said.

Lynn jogged up to Apollo.

'He asked the question yet?' she asked him.

'He's about to,' answered the captain, staring intently at the group.

'The question is simple. Who is your favourite soccer player? State your name before answering. You!' he called, gesturing at the tall and muscular looking black boy at the start of the line.

'Um, Shawn, and Messi' he blurted. Javier wrote down Shawn- Messi on his clipboard before looking at the next boy.

' Eric and Beckham'

Javier continued up the line noting down the answers and names of the freshmen.

'IP and um Koby!'

Javier stopped and glanced at IP thoughtfully. Koby was the name of the captain of Kametsu United, not a very famous team, but the only professional one in the city.

' I haven't watched soccer much and I've never really played, but over the summer I saw United play and they really interested me' explained IP. He was short with thick glasses, and thick black hair with a random tuft sticking out at the top. He looked more like a scientist than a footballer.

Javier smiled. At the end of the day, soccer was about having fun and enjoying yourself. It was a great source of personal pride to introduce these young boys to the game.

'Well your welcome here son, soccer is for enjoyment after all!'

' Danny and Paul Scholes' interjected the next boy in the line. He was tall and obviously fit, with long dark hair that hung over his eye.

Javier raised an eyebrow. Paul Scholes was a legendary midfielder who'd spent his entire career at Manchester United, the most famous team in England. He was also an idol to many of Spain's best players, and Javier himself saw him as one of the most gifted players of his generation. He noted down Danny's name, his interest immediately piqued by his answer.

Finally, he came upon the last boy in the line up. The boy had an air of confidence about him but what was most striking was his hair, so fair it was almost white, it hung in a punk style, so long it was almost touching his upper lip.

' Chris. Roberto Carlos and I'm your new left back' he grinned confidently. Javier snorted, amused at the display. There were certainly a couple of interesting characters in the group.

He took a step back.

'I'd like to welcome you all to the Kametsu High Bears soccer team. The little exercise you just took part in was my way of learning a bit about your soccer knowledge. Now, the good stuff. Including last year's regulars, there's 15 of you. Enough for 3 teams in a little 5 a side competition. Apollo, Jay and Breathless are the captains. Lynn with Breathless, Danny with Jay. IP with Apollo. Shane with Breathless, Chris with Jay......'

With the teams assigned and the pitch divided for a 5 a side game, Javier stood in the center and called Apollo and Jay's teams up.

Apollo had IP on his team. As well as a short and scrawny blonde boy called Kurt, a tall, skinny boy called Jeff and finally, a short, chubby boy called Ray who went in goal. Jay had Danny on his team, as well as Chris and a tall boy with a shaved head called Reid who went in goal. Finally, there was a boy of medium height with curly brown hair called George who seemed very quiet, Javier hadn't really noticed him before.

'Time to get this show on the road!' He yelled, before blowing the whistle.

• Like 7

Chapter 2: Selection

Axel sighed as he watched the soccer club line up. His teacher, Mr Hawke, had urged him to pay the trials a visit, Apollo too, had spent the majority of the summer trying to persuade him to play. However, he just wasn’t convinced the club was worth it. In Kametsu, 32 teams contested the Regional Tournament, with the final 2 moving onto the National Tournament, alongside 14 teams from the 7 other regions of Atlantia. Never in the history of Kametsu High Soccer Club had the team progressed past the last 16 in their region, that all changed 2 years ago however, when Coach Javier Martinez took over and completely revamped and revitalized the team. In his first year, they made the top 8, before making the final 4 last year. They also played the most attractive and technical brand of soccer the city had ever seen. Despite all this however, Axel wasn’t sure about joining the club. He’d been a leading national player in middle school, but had become dismayed with the poor quality of players around him and so abandoned soccer. Hawke had urged him to give the club a try but Axel had serious doubts. The core of team had been the seniors, and they had all graduated. Axel was better than the other regulars, he knew that. If the freshmen were good, then he’d join. If they weren’t, then he simply would join another club.

‘Just gotta wait and see’ he said to himself.

On the pitch. the first match had just started. Jay passed the ball to Danny, the freshman controlling it easily. He spotted Chris to his right and casually kicked the ball in his direction. Out of nowhere, Apollo appeared and intercepted the ball.

‘Damn!’ cursed Danny. Without hesitation, Apollo easily went past the freshman and ran towards the goal. George tried to stop him, but was brushed aside by the determined captain. Just when it looked like Apollo would have a clear shot, Jay lunged in with a very strong, but fair, tackle. The loose ball trickled towards Chris but this time IP caught the other team cold. He put on astonishing burst of pace that saw him motor past the stunned defence. Danny and Jay tried to catch up, but they were nowhere near fast enough. As they strained to catch him, he moved further and further away. Luckily for them however, IP demonstrated his lack of football experience and his shot was weak and straight at Reid, the goalkeeper gratefully scooping it up.

‘Come on freshmen! Concentrate!’ yelled Jay. Apollo smiled at his friend.

‘It’s okay for you Polo, my guys are useless!’ muttered Jay, quietly.

‘Give them a chance, maybe they’re just nervous’ responded Apollo, distractedly. He was very interested in the pace that IP had just showed. A really fast player was undoubtedly an asset to any team, and with proper training, IP could be a big weapon. Apollo wasn’t the only person to take note, Axel raised his eyebrow on the sidelines, whilst Coach Martinez smiled in the centre of the pitch. Glancing towards Apollo, he nodded. IP had made the cut.

Danny and Chris were standing together, and they both noticed the little interaction.

‘Looks like we’re being shown up’ said Danny. Chris snorted.

‘Maybe you’ve decided you won’t make it, but I’m way better than the people here. Just give me the ball and see’ he replied arrogantly, storming off. Danny smiled. He’d only recently moved to the area, and lived in a flat by himself. Receiving the ball from Reid, he stopped and looked up. Maybe Kametsu High would be fun after all.

‘Pass it!’ yelled Jay. Danny ignored the shout and instead accelerated forward. Apollo carefully retreated back towards his goal, signalling his team to follow. Suddenly, Danny laid the ball off to Jay.

‘Return it,’ he ordered. Complying, Jay flicked the ball back into the freshman’s path. The one two had caught IP out and he charged towards Danny. Apollo cursed as he realised what was happening.

‘Get back!’ he yelled at IP. The freshman froze, clearly confused. Unfortunately, he was too late. His inexperienced rush had left a huge gap behind him, which Chris ran into. Jeff and Kurt both ran to plug the gap and Danny smiled. Two mistakes.

‘Pass to me!’ yelled Chris. Instead, Danny launched the ball in the other direction.

‘There’s no one there idiot!’ roared Chris, furious. Apollo sighed in relief.

‘Go!’ yelled Jay. Apollo gasped. Suddenly, George had appeared out of nowhere, the small boy collected Danny’s pass and ran towards the goal before showing great composure and coolly slotting it past the goalkeeper.

As the Coach blew his whistle, a stunned silence spread throughout the pitch. In the crowd, Axel smiled, almost out of relief. Excitement pounded through his veins. He knew he’d just seen a great example of talent.

The rest of the session passed without major incident, barring Chris finally backing up his boast with a beautiful long range free kick that left Breathless standing helpless. As the players stood around the coach waiting for a decision, Javier smiled. It had been a surprisingly good session and some of the freshmen looked like really good players.

‘Right. We had a very good session today. I was impressed by quite a few of you. We have a practice match next week, with a training session the day after tomorrow. Unfortunately, not everyone can make the first team squad, but I encourage those who didn’t make it to attend training and fight for a place. The first team squad is as follows. Apollo, Lynn, Breathless, Jay, IP, Danny, Chris, George, Shane, Jeff, Reid and Kurt.’ he announced. There were the predictable mixture of delight and disappointment, but Javier was satisfied with his selections. They were a player or two short, especially in defence, but he was confident of a successful season.

‘Okay you lot! Meeting of the first team tomorrow lunch time. Everyone else, training in two days! Get home safe!’ he yelled as they began to disperse.

Axel was also very satisfied with what he had seen. Some of those freshmen had serious talent. He turned away from the pitch, smiling.

Time for me to go buy some new boots, he thought.

• Like 8

I love coming back here and seeing a new story ... I guess writing is really all I do these days (without the courage to post them up anywhere) I love your new story, Dan!!!!!!!!!!! Especially since it's about soccer!!!!!!! Do write faster so I will be motivated to come back often :) And am I too late to sign up for your story???? 

• Like 1

NOTE: if anyone is a bit confused by the soccer terms, ask and i'll explain!

Chapter 3: School Problems

The bell tolled, signalling the start of the new school day. And what a glorious day it was. Dazzling sunshine, clear blue skies and a lovely light breeze, reflected why so many tourists flocked to Kametsu. Danny smiled as he entered through the main gate. He had enjoyed the soccer club yesterday and was looking forward to the next session. He was engrossed in his thoughts and accidentally bumped into someone.

'Watch it.' muttered Dark. The boy narrowed his eyes at Danny, sizing him up.

'Sorry mate, my mistake' replied Danny brightly, clearly oblivious to the tension. All of a sudden, three more boys appeared, flanking Dark and surrounding Danny.

'Ah.' mumbled Danny, realising what was happening. Dark held up a hand to stop his cronies.

'I've never seen you around before. Transfer student?' he enquired, his tone still fairly innocuous.

'No, I'm a freshman, just moved into town.' Danny replied casually. Although both tone's were light, it was clear that the two were sizing each other up.

'Problem here?' boomed Mr Hawke, leaning out of his first floor classroom's window. Dark snorted.

'No sir, just getting acquainted with a fellow freshman' he shouted in reply.

Danny raised his eyebrows at the boy's words. He hadn't expected him to be a freshman. The boy nodded at him, ending the brief standoff as he turned and sauntered into the building, his friends following him. After a moment's thought, Danny too followed them in.

Hawke sighed, everyone in Kametsu knew Dark and his family. He would have to keep an eye on him.

_______________________________________________________

Apollo was in a great mood. Yesterday had been a great session, he'd been delighted by how good some of the freshmen were. But now, he was even more excited about the upcoming soccer season.

'Seriously Axel? You'll play?' he asked, disbelief and elation mixed in his voice. Axel smiled softly in response.

'Yes Pollo, I'll play in your team,' he replied, secretly pleased by his friend's attitude.

'What persuaded you?' pressed Apollo, prompting a laugh from Axel.

'I was in the crowd yesterday, those freshmen are good. I wanna play against them,' he said, still smiling. Apollo grinned broadly.

'They're good aren't they? I'll go and tell Coach right now!'

'No you won't!' called Hawke, overhearing the conversation. 'You can go after registration,'

'Yes sir!' replied Apollo.

'Why are you excited?' asked Lynn, entering the room.

'Axel's gonna play,' replied Apollo.

'Oh really? Told the Coach?'

'I will after registration. Think we have a good chance of making the nationals this year' said Apollo, confidently. Axel looked thoughtful.

'If i played, how would the team line up?' he asked.

'Well, we play a 4-4-1-1 formation with Breathless in goal. Ideally, we'd have Kurt right back, Chris left back with Jay and Shane at center back' explained Apollo. He gestured at Lynn to finish the explanation.

'I'd play on the right, you on the left and Apollo and Jeff in center midfield. Danny will play as the attacking midfielder behind George the striker.' finished off Lynn.

'So we have freshmen in the forward positions? That smart? George is-'

'Enough with the soccer chat I'm afraid' interrupted Hawke again, he realised he’d been doing that a lot today.

‘Anyway. Couple announcements for you. Firstly, please make sure you’re all registered to a school club by the end of the day. We had problems last year with some of the lazier people in the class. Also, there will be a University information evening held in the hall next week. All 2nd and 3rd years are expected to attend. Oh, one more thing. The Headmaster wants you guys to mentor some of the freshmen. It’s a new scheme but hopefully it’ll bring you guys together,’ he said.

‘Do we all have to mentor someone?’ asked a voice from the back.

‘No,’ replied Hawke. ‘Only three per class have to mentor. Any volunteers?’

‘I’ll do it,’ said Lynn. Apollo raised an inquisitive eyebrow. ‘Apollo and Axel volunteer too,’ she continued, smiling.

‘What?!’ yelled Axel in reply.

‘Well, I guess you three will be fine. I’ll submit your names. Actually, I think you’ll be assigned to Coach Martinez’s class’ said Hawke.

The bell rang, signalling the start of the first lesson of the new term. As Lynn and Axel left the class, still bickering over the mentoring issue, they were obstructed by a large group of girls that had gathered near the room. They called out to Lynn, but she ignored them, firmly pushing through the throng. Apollo followed her lead, flashing patient smiles to his fans.

Hawke chuckled to himself. Being in the soccer team at Kametsu High made you an instant celebrity. The school was absolutely mad for the sport. With the horde of adoring fans, Hawke certainly didn’t envy Apollo.

‘Let him through girls! He has an education to earn!’ he barked. There were a few shrieks and the girls started to disperse. Apollo sighed before giving his teacher an appreciative smile and exiting the room.

Hawke chuckled again.

‘Kids these days,’ he laughed.

_________________________________________________________

It’d been a tough morning for Danny. It had started off well, he’d discovered him an IP were in the same class but after that, it had rapidly gone downhill. He’d looked an idiot in English class, answering all the teacher’s questions incorrectly, but the biggest issue had proved to be a boy called Pav. He was tall, with long hair, good looking and extremely loud and arrogant. He’d laughed louder than anyone else, whilst sneering at Danny for the majority of the lesson. Danny had been confused as to why, but it had been made clear at the beginning of lunch when Pav had strode over to Dark and embraced him like a brother. They exchanged words and both glanced towards Danny.

‘Looks like you’ve made a couple of friends,’ laughed a voice from behind him. Danny turned to see Chris smiling at him.

‘Hey Chris! I don’t know what their problem is. All that happened was I bumped into him’ explained Danny.

Chris laughed again.

‘Don’t worry, they’re just sizing you up. More importantly, have you forgotten about our meeting with the coach? It’s now,’ he said.

‘Damn! I actually did, let me get a sandwich first.’

As Danny went up to the sandwich counter, Pav moved towards him. Noticing the movement, Chris followed and intercepted the tall boy.

‘Problem Pav?’ he asked, brightly. Pav’s eyes narrowed.

‘Chris,’ he hissed.

‘Yep, that’s me. Interested in Dan?’ Chris replied, keeping his tone light.

‘No, not at all. Just after a sandwich dude’ replied Pav, maintaining the false civility between them.

‘Good. He’s with me. Dark doesn’t go near him.’ said Chris, a note of threat entering his voice.

Pav let out a laugh.

‘We’ll see Chris.’ he said, turning back to Dark.

Danny tapped Chris on the shoulder.

‘Everything okay?’ he asked.

‘Yeah.’ answered Chris. ‘Lets get going man’.

this was such a tough chapter to write. suffering from a touch of writers block

• Like 8