Writing a story, in need of co-writer-type of thing.

AxelVIII

Maybe this is the wrong section to do this in, or maybe this isn't allowed (This being the most likely), but I'll see what happens.

I am working on a story, been working on it for awhile, but haven't gotten very far. I have many ideas I want to get down, but since this is basically my very first story, I am unable to write it correctly. When I try to add something, it comes out more as a script than a story. So I was hoping that maybe someone could help me on it a little, or if the story means something to someone, I wouldn't mind a reliable co-author.

• Like 1

Hmm I see, I like the plot.

But, maybe this could be advice, maybe not...

From how I get good at writing and how things actually sounds like a story than a script, is read more. Look for those books that are extremely comprehensive, the grammar is out of this world of what you are used too. For me at least, when I read books, my vocabulary goes through the roof, I know where to put specific punctuations (I didn't do to good in English class, so from reading I learned how to write professionally), etc.

Depending on the genre you are writing or the plot like you specified, read books that could be similar, you'd be surprised on what you could learn that will help you write your first novel.

Sorry if this doesn't help at all. For me it does, I mean I don't read much at all lately, but years ago I used to read a bunch, and my writing of stories improved significantly from where I used to be at. Today in time, my writing is somewhat suffering because I don't read anymore. But I am slowly starting to read more again. I really fancy those fantasy/science fiction novels out there. Great stuff! 

Hope this helped in some way, and good luck! Would like to read your novel someday! :)

Edited by Snowburden

Well, before we get into it, what kind of writer are you?

Like, are you a planner or a pantser (someone who makes it up as they go along)? Are you an engineer or a gardener? Do you prefer to have a roadmap or do you wing it?

If you're a planner, you might want to do some world-building. That could help flesh out the story in your head so when you go to write it, you aren't grasping for details. Not having everything planned out might be stopping you from moving forward.

If you're a pantser, you probably want to do some stream of consciousness stuff, don't even look at it or edit it to find your groove. If you're getting too caught up in the editing process, that can stop a pantser right in their tracks.

And to be honest, a lot of my first stories were basically scripts as well, so you're not alone in that regard.

I would be more than happy to beta read for you or help you bounce ideas around if you need someone like that too u wu  tbh, I'd do that for anyone that needed it if you just send me a pm.

I'll certainly keep that in mind for future reference =) @Axel. Seems you have quite a few offers and whatnot, I hope it turns out well for you

I was told that posting this here wasn't my smartest idea, but I have found a co-author through this. Thanks everyone :)

Who said that to you? It's absolutely permissible and encouraged to post in here, no matter what it's about, whether it's an experimental story or just a question about grammar! Please don't feel like you shouldn't or can't post here for reasons other than your own personal choice. (I mean, talking about criminal manners is pushing it, but you get the gist of it.)

• Like 3