Tutorial: Text

as requested by ba11ard

This thread will show the different styles of text I use, and explain why I use them. I guess this could be considered more of an analysis than an actual tutorial.

Style #1: "Label"

fYnFs.png

A lot of times, the text I use is simply my username; this helps users quickly identify that this signature is mine, and prevents others from stealing. This is helpful in competitions, such as the SOTW contests.

In the above case, the font is small, but still easily readable. Default fonts work well for this purpose; most fancy fonts get more difficult to decipher as they get smaller.

Also, the opacity is turned down and blending options (such as multiply/screen/overlay) are used, to blend it into the background more. The text should be readable, but not over-powering, as to take away from the focus of the render.

I FORGOT TO MENTION. The text should be near the render, but not on top of it (in most cases; sometimes it's unavoidable). This gives the signature a focal point. If the text was on one side and the render on another, the eye wouldn't know where to focus.

Here are more examples of this type of text:

sotw81.jpg

For this one, I put the text layer underneath the bokeh texture to blend it.

ECpiF.jpg

wD7GK.png

JaSQc.jpg

I don't normally set text on an angle like this (personal preference), but I thought it fit the signature, because there are so many definite lines of motion.

More text styles coming soon!

Edited by poetictragedy

• 5 months later...