Rebuild of Evangelion

Dazzep

When I first watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, I liked it quite a lot, but whenever I got to the end… well, you might know where I'm going here… I thought "ok, let's give the End of Evangelion a shot", and that did not end well either, at least IMO.

But even though I had heard about the Rebuild of the series I really didn't want to watch it because I thought it was just gonna be more of the same, but eventually I decided to give it a shot, and well, was I surprised… 1.11 You are (not) alone, was pretty good, and the events didn't change in almost anything, but again, I have no problem with the way the original anime started, but when I got to 2.22 You can (not) advance, I was blown away! I loved it, not just the new line of events but also the animation was just as good as it gets today, and the addition of a new character.

I made this thread because I want to know your thoughts, about it and whether you liked it or not and why you do (or don't).

• Like 1

I completely agree with you. loved the series until the final episodes. the end of evangelion was a lot better than the final two episodes but it was still (out there).. 1.11 was a really good retelling of the first several episodes, but 2.22 stands far above the original series in awesomeness, with the adding of new characters, new storyline points, and graphics-wise. CAN'T wait for the next 2 movies.

Spoiler

Not that this show is confusing enough as it is.

"Don't be a "Shinji Ikari"

I think I now understand the end of evangelion... mystery of Shinji choking Asuka

(The angels and stuff are all explained on youtube) - (Evangelion Explanation in 7 MINUTES!!!)

Shinji choked Asuka because she said she wouldn't feel sorry for Shinji-

Shinji became completely reliant on people to feel sorry for him, being a child fighting angels, and to always be the victim (so people will take pity on him.) Asuka refused to pity him. Shinji didn't have a real family - and He thought he could kill anyone who didn't take pity on him! Asuka didn't have a family ether but Shinji doesn't care.

"Don't be a "Shinji Ikari" - And don't pity Shinji because He kills people who don't pity him... If any of this even makes any sense! :after_boom:

• 3 weeks later...

I love the original NGE and i love rebuild.

I really had no problem with the endings i dont think they were bad i just think they are different from what i was expecting (good different).

I love how the characters evolve in the series (i love asuka (= ) and mostly how deep it is i dont watch it just for the action i like the philosophical and psychological parts as well.

rebuild is an improvment from the original confusing parts (=

i loved EOE (although it was a bit wierd but i guess its subjective) it gave me a closure after kaworu/adam died )= (not only that but also asuka was amazing in the movie).

feel free to comment on what i wrote

jds

I'm going to have to go against the crowd here. 2.22 is visually breathtaking, especially in 1080p, but that new girl...who the fuck is she? What is she doing? I've watched the movie about 3 or 4 times and she is not explored AT ALL as a character, which is something that you just don't do in an episodic movie series. I know fuck all about her, other than her name, she can parachute jump and can do a sort of controlled Berserk mode. That's it.

I'm going to have to go against the crowd here. 2.22 is visually breathtaking, especially in 1080p, but that new girl...who the fuck is she? What is she doing? I've watched the movie about 3 or 4 times and she is not explored AT ALL as a character, which is something that you just don't do in an episodic movie series. I know fuck all about her, other than her name, she can parachute jump and can do a sort of controlled Berserk mode. That's it.

its set up to explore her in the next 2 movies.... why does she need to be fully explained in this one? in a series of movies, you have to have something left mysterious to keep some fans excited to come back for the next movies.. but maybe thats just me??

just like a typical cliffhanger..

its set up to explore her in the next 2 movies.... why does she need to be fully explained in this one? in a series of movies, you have to have something left mysterious to keep some fans excited to come back for the next movies.. but maybe thats just me??

I'm not saying she has to be fully explored, as in every single little detail, but explored at least a bit. I don't know who she is or what she's doing. I don't know her character, her motivation, her reason for why she's in this movie. Saying they'll explain everything in the next movie is akin to saying that I've wasted my time watching 2.22. Episodic movies do have to stay true to an overlying plot, but they also must have their stories. Think of Harry Potter. They introduced a few new characters in Chamber of Secrets (Dobby, Lucius Malfoy), but these characters didn't just appear, do something then disappear. They were explored, even if slightly. If Secrets had done what 2.22 had done, Dobby would have appeared in Harry's room, said "Don't go to Hogwarts" and then left right then and there, not explaining why he doesn't want Harry to go to Hogwarts. The audience would have been scratching their heads saying "Who is this guy? Why is he there?"

Doing a cliffhanger only works if the audience is invested in the movie. Mari as a cliffhanger fails completely. I don't know her at all nor I do care about her at all. It's been a while since I've seen 2.22, but I can remember that Asuka appears to have died, from being inside the capsule that Shinji's EVA unit bit in half. I can't remember what happened to Mari. Asuka as a character has been explored. I care about her; I want to know if she did in fact survive (teaser trailers notwithstanding). I don't know or care about Mari.

I'm not saying she has to be fully explored, as in every single little detail, but explored at least a bit. I don't know who she is or what she's doing. I don't know her character, her motivation, her reason for why she's in this movie. Saying they'll explain everything in the next movie is akin to saying that I've wasted my time watching 2.22. Episodic movies do have to stay true to an overlying plot, but they also must have their stories. Think of Harry Potter. They introduced a few new characters in Chamber of Secrets (Dobby, Lucius Malfoy), but these characters didn't just appear, do something then disappear. They were explored, even if slightly. If Secrets had done what 2.22 had done, Dobby would have appeared in Harry's room, said "Don't go to Hogwarts" and then left right then and there, not explaining why he doesn't want Harry to go to Hogwarts. The audience would have been scratching their heads saying "Who is this guy? Why is he there?"

Doing a cliffhanger only works if the audience is invested in the movie. Mari as a cliffhanger fails completely. I don't know her at all nor I do care about her at all. It's been a while since I've seen 2.22, but I can remember that Asuka appears to have died, from being inside the capsule that Shinji's EVA unit bit in half. I can't remember what happened to Mari. Asuka as a character has been explored. I care about her; I want to know if she did in fact survive (teaser trailers notwithstanding). I don't know or care about Mari.

all good points, although i do disagree here and there. but what i come away with all of this thinking is, "Since when did the creator of Evangelion seem to be in his right mind?" he's doesn't seem to be entirely all there anyways with how the first series ending and such lol

I can see your points about Mari's sudden entrance into the series.

However, I do believe that we should wait and give it time to see what develops with her. Personally, her appearance is a breath of fresh air for the series. We're so used to seeing characters who are emotionally/psychologically scarred that seeing a new character who doesn't (as of yet) portray any type of emotional instability, reclusive or anti-social behavior, or feelings of self-centeredness is good to see. As much as I love them, it's entertaining to see someone normal placed alongside a bunch of abnormal people. The only thing (personality wise) that Mari has in common with the rest of the cast is her desire to be a pilot, which is only matched, yet surpassed, by Asuka's desire. They both want to be pilots more than anything else, yet their reasons are completely different. Mari wants to pilot simply to save the world (and because she thinks its badass) versus Asuka who's true motive for being a pilot is the hopes that her insane mother would recognize and pay attention to her.

I know it's a lot and a huge rant. However, I just absolutely love Mari's introduction to the series and I can't wait to see what they do with her in the next two movies.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I actually haven't seen the TV series, but saw the first 2 movies. They were great.

I wish I would've done the same as you…but it's ok, no regrets, after all it was just the endings what I hate, not the whole series

I was first introduced to Evangelion by my best mate at about age 15-16. He showed me first End of Evangelion (not the series first, the movie). Up to that point, I had not really watched what is called a serious anime. I'd watched Pokemon, Digimon and Zoids at that point, as they were pretty much the only anime broadcast in my region at the time. I remember it was late at night and I was half-asleep watching End. It seriously felt like my mind was being raped (especially with the scene of Shinji masturbating onto his hand, at that point in time, that was the closest I had gotten to hentai).

After watching the tv series, the last 2 episodes really made me go "WTF did I just watch." Then I watched the end of evangelion and saw that to be way better then the last 2 episodes. After that I watched 1.11 and 2.22 and was astounded to how it was. especially 2.22. that was by far one of the best i've seen.