Broke X-BOX 360, need help!

Koby

Okay someone gave me a 360 today because it quit working.

When you turn it on you get a system error telling you to contact customer support. At the bottom of the screen.. not sure if this helps but it says E 74.. I'm thinking maybe its for error 74 or something?

I don't think it's the 3 rings of death that plague the 360's, as it appears to only be the bottom right corner that is lit up red.. though sometimes it flashes the bottom left corner one.. but only the right bottom stays lit.

Anyone know what could be wrong.. and any fixes for it? Preferably cheap fixes that don't require that I buy anything to try and fix it? I got it for free after all. =P

It says MFR Date: 2006 - 08 - 27.

So it was made August 27, 2006. Hmm kind of an old one eh? lol.

Any way to fix it?

and someone put a Halo casing on it and the top part where you put another HHD there is nothing so no HHD unless it has one on the inside.

Sorry... I was wrong about it being the optical drive. I was thinking about the E 64 error.

Maybe this site could help you.

The hard drive slot is gone? When you take off the faceplate is the microsoft warranty sticker still there?

That tells me this:

E74: AV cable error... There is a problem with the AV cable, try using a different AV cable. If the cable is known to be working then there is a 90% chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip connected directly to the AV cable) in rare cases it is the GPU.

So I tried the av cable my sis has for her 360... and I still get the same error.. so it's possibly whatever the ANA or HANA scaler chip is. It says its connected directly to the AV cable.. The thing I don't get.. is if it's this cable or something involved.. wouldn't it not pull up anything on the TV? lol.. as it's the cord that plugs in for the audio and picture.. you'd think if something was wrong with it.. it wouldn't.. However it clearly pulls up the error screen.

So erm.. if it's truly this.. how would I fix the scaler chip?

I was thinking about that too... It seems like if anything was wrong with the gpu or av cable/scaler chip that nothing would come up on the screen... Have you called microsoft?

Seeing as it was manufactured in 2006.. and that I just got it for free today.. I'm not so sure Microsoft would help me.

How do you even get the 360 open? lol.. I can't find any screws.. and I don't want to break it trying to snap it off.

Yeah I watched a youtube video to do it.. and well now I'm stuck on the 8 tiny screws.. I don't have anything to fit them... :/ Whats worse is I had to break the microsoft warranty seal to get this far, although I doubt the warranty was still in effect.. it would really suck if it was.. :/

Yeah I watched a youtube video to do it.. and well now I'm stuck on the 8 tiny screws.. I don't have anything to fit them... :/ Whats worse is I had to break the microsoft warranty seal to get this far, although I doubt the warranty was still in effect.. it would really suck if it was.. :/

You will need a size 10 and size 8 security trox bits for the screws. Size 10 for the main case screws and size 8 for the three little ones on the front. You can find these bits in a precision screwdriver set. The ones that look like stars.:dhh:

My 360 goes rrod every few months, so I have to open it up reset the GPU heat sink.:beat_brick:

you dont need to take out the three small screws to open the case, but if you want to take out the motherboard you have to.

You will need a size 10 and size 8 security trox bits for the screws. Size 10 for the main case screws and size 8 for the three little ones on the front. You can find these bits in a precision screwdriver set. The ones that look like stars.:dhh:

My 360 goes rrod every few months, so I have to open it up reset the GPU heat sink.:beat_brick:

you dont need to take out the three small screws to open the case, but if you want to take out the motherboard you have to.

I dunno what size I used.. but it was bigger than the 8 black tiny ones.. and I took out all of the silver ones with it.

*update*

So I got it open but that chip doesn't seem loose... I still did this anyways: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3QYIkVT2lI

However that didn't do anything.. and I still get the same error.. Anyone know what could be wrong and what I should do to fix it?

*update 2 *

Umm... I don't think the fans are working.. lol.. it was blowing hot air when I left it on the error screen and I looked and the fan wasn't moving.. It should be always blowing right? Well could the fans be whats throwing this error and if so how do you fix them?

Fixed the link.. and it was the black screws in the vid that showed how to open it.

*update*

wow.. dunno what happened but it's working now. xD

*update 2*

ok its not working again... but now its to top 2 lights blinkin red.. and nothing is showing in the screen. I notice the fans stop when it does this.. So maybe there is a problem with the fans or the power to the fans.. could this possibly be doing this?

I turn it off and back on and it works for a moment (couple of minutes).. then it stops and displays the top two lights and the screen goes blank and the fans stop.

You might need to the xclamp fix. I posted a thread about it awhile ago. try that, its worth a shot. should only cost you around $15 to do that fix. make sure there is no dust in the heat sinks also. the system could be over heating.

I don't want to have to spend money on something I got for free if there is a chance that it might not fix it. =P You sure that will fix it? I honestly don't see how changing the clamps/bolts out for something makes it work better.. lolz O.o

just give it to some X360 technician, point a gun at him and force him to fix it for free :dhh:

PS3 beats X360 any day... that's coz FF XIII has better graphics and sound on PS3 plus there is God Of War 3 too.. Not to mention Uncharted!!! but it's a sad thing Mass Effect and Left 4 Dead aren't there for PS3

You might need to the xclamp fix. I posted a thread about it awhile ago. try that, its worth a shot. should only cost you around $15 to do that fix. make sure there is no dust in the heat sinks also. the system could be over heating.

the x-clamp fix is only for fixing the cpu or gpu which is the rrod.

since it is A/V problem, drilling holes in the motherboard is not the answer.

well one you dont drill holes in the motherboard, dont know where the hell you heard that lol XD trust me i know what im talking about since i fixed my own 360 :P

so what all is wrong with it? do you get the red light in the bottom right hand corner and a error screen pops up saying e74?