Is there away to upscale 640x480 to 1280x720?

jose408

I dont lose quality but it makes the file larger.

That's a lol! Unless the file comes out to ~100 GB or of the sort, then you lose quality.

I don't recommend doing that since it requires a huge knowledge for avisynth or of another program that lets you use filters and other plugins that make watching upscales actually watchable.

First off, 640x480 is 4:3 (full screen) while 1280x720 is 16:9 (wide screen) so not only are you upscaling but you're wanting to either crop a big part of the top and bottom of the video off, or stretch it to hell and beyond.

If you want to upscale 640x480 to 720p go with 960x720.

You'll definitely want to know how to use avisynth and filters to make it look better, sharpen it, etc.. because upscaling by itself is just -_- .

I would simplely leave as it is .... up-scaling almost always gives a fuzzy look to your videos no matter how much sharpening and colour correcting you do..even with motion pixel correction(used for motion/movement in your video).... if fact ...there are times those very corrections are what will destroy your finished video ....and you get something that looks like a very old VHS rip.....not what you want if your original file was from a nice sharp source ..but at 640X480 ....most players and computers can and will do full screen of your video and it will look good....mind you the really small ones at 240X120(like for very small screen devices) you can't really do much with those at all....

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten my upscales to look like they were Bluray releases, but the amount of time experimenting with filters, and the time it took to encode each video took so long. This is probably because my computer, and my experience with AviSynth just don't add up for me to be shooting out encodes every minute.

Yes it is possible. Although, like already stated, you need to know the program you are using. I use avidemux. However I do not upscale anything to make it look stretched or cropped and i do use filters to make the encode look better. You can have high quality with small file size though you need to know the program, like stated before.

It is possible that you can upscale the 640x480 to 1280x720. I usually use either MeGUI or Xvid4PSP for encoding process like I encode a 720x480 to 1280x720 there are no difference in quality but the file size is bigger than before. But 640x480 is not 16:9 of aspect ratio, if i'm correct it is 4:3 of aspect ratio.

• 2 months later...

try Megui

1. Download the following files:

Megui

Nero AAC

K-Lite Codec Pack

2. Extract Megui and install Avisynth. Then move Megui to the root of your drive.

Example: C:\MeGUI_2112_x86

3. Install k-lite codec pack and extract nero aac to megui.

4. Run megui & update, select my PSP preset.

on the audio section select nero aac: ndaac-he-64kbits

5. Press Ctrl + R load your video file and choose directshowsource. next resize to 1280x720

save and load the same video as the audio source.

6. Click AutoEncode, Queue it and enjoy ^^

• 3 weeks later...

watch whatever it is you're looking to upscale in 480p first, chances are you'll have lost interest after that:D Besides, once you get used to watching something in a smaller window you soon lose yourself in the story etc and forget about the technical aspects.

although saying that I always try to download in 1080p so that renders my point rather invalid awwwwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa

watch whatever it is you're looking to upscale in 480p first, chances are you'll have lost interest after that:D Besides, once you get used to watching something in a smaller window you soon lose yourself in the story etc and forget about the technical aspects.

although saying that I always try to download in 1080p so that renders my point rather invalid awwwwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You watch 480p in windowed mode :o I always watch in fullscreen,whatever the video's resolution, it never occured to me to do otherwise.

But why would you want to upsample a video at the file level in the first place? Unless you have software which is RADICALLY better at scaling compared to your GPU or TV (which is possible but on the fringe), then you are taking a huge step backwards.

Granted, I say that but for myself I convert all vids to an mkv container, keeping the video and audio codecs (ie NO recoding), and play them on my Oppo BD-83 which has an EXQUISIT scaler built in.

But why would you want to upsample a video at the file level in the first place? Unless you have software which is RADICALLY better at scaling compared to your GPU or TV (which is possible but on the fringe), then you are taking a huge step backwards.

Granted, I say that but for myself I convert all vids to an mkv container, keeping the video and audio codecs (ie NO recoding), and play them on my Oppo BD-83 which has an EXQUISIT scaler built in.

You'd be surprised, but a lot of Blu-ray discs are simply upscaled videos. Especially when it comes to anime and Blu-rays by FUNimation.

If done right, and the series is capable of being upscaled, then it can look really good. Though more often then not, it doesn't look any better and typically ends up looking worse. Also typically anime with a lot of dark palettes/scenes such as Death Note, wouldn't look good upscaled. Brighter anime are usually easier to work with.