Backlash against Final Fantasy XIII?

Koby

Do you like or hate what Final Fantasy XIII seems to be doing with the series?

If you take a look at places like GameFAQs there is a bunch of n00bs with thoughts such as:

"omfg shes a girl lol"

"is this like X2???"

"OMFG IS THAT A GUNBLADE IS SHE SQUALLS DAUGHTER?"

It bothers me that people are judging this game and character based on a minute and a half trailer. If anything, just judge the graphics and what could be the battle system, not the outlook of the whole game just because of the damn protagonist.

And just so you know Square claims the girl shown in the trailers is NOT the main character. LOL

I think that if she were to be the main character, it would be a nice change. She seems to actually be strong and not weak and emotionally disturbed such as Yuna was. People judging the game just by watching one trailer and seeing one character are idiots and their opinions do not matter (no offense to anyone, sorry).

Sadly she won't be the main character. It was already confirmed by Nomura she won't be acting as hero so who even cares if there is a girl in the game? And like I said in other threads, the gunblade just looks downright awesome.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like the idea of a female protagonist, and I like how it looks like another FFVI / FFVII / FFX type world.

I hope they've made a newer battle system thats back to a type of turn system again, I am not a fan of where FFXII was going, I much prefer they built on the FFX one as that would be great built and expanded.

I have hopes for FFXIII, but maybe not it's spin offs.

Oh she's not the main character? That would've been nice, but ah well. I'm not really expecting much, it'll probably be another FF that my brother will stupidly buy the day it's out.

Thats what Square Enix supposedly stated. So rumors of the guy currently just called 33cm are flying around saying he will be the main character. Personally he looks like a Seifer rip-off, only cooler. Haha.

Thats what Square Enix supposedly stated. So rumors of the guy currently just called 33cm are flying around saying he will be the main character. Personally he looks like a Seifer rip-off, only cooler. Haha.

I thought he a Seifer rip-off when I saw him too. Personally, being female (pauses for audience to regain composure after the shock), I like the idea of having a good female lead. Although to honest, Lightning seems to Cloud and Squall (i.e., angsty with memory complaints) but with boobs. Go fig.

I am looking forward to XIII, but do not want to get my hopes up. I am glad they are staying with a battle system like XII. I actually liked it. Saved my thumbs. I was disappointed to hear that Lightning was not the main character. Seems kind of silly to advertise a game with a character who is not the main. Unless, as in XII, the main character sucks. Lets hope they don't repeat that.

I am looking forward to XIII, but do not want to get my hopes up. I am glad they are staying with a battle system like XII. I actually liked it. Saved my thumbs. I was disappointed to hear that Lightning was not the main character. Seems kind of silly to advertise a game with a character who is not the main. Unless, as in XII, the main character sucks. Lets hope they don't repeat that.

Vaan was okay, I usually used him.. but he reminded me of Tidus, both in looks and in personality without the crying however. Haha. It was good that you wasn't forced to use the main character like in so many other RPG's though.. It would be cool to use Lightning as your main character too, it would be nice to see a FF game with a strong/in-depth Female Lead, who wasn't half naked for a change. Although don't get me wrong, I do like nudity, it's just for crying out loud where is the realistic version? You don't go fight a freakin monster naked, you take some armor with you. xD

FFXIII is going to be similar to FFXII's battle system however it will be alot faster from what I've heard, almost action like in KH.. but not quite.

Not interested anymore... I don't think FF should be taking this road. I'll play it, but I'm not very excited about this game as I used to be. It just seems to be building on an system that doesn't really appeal to me. Only thing that can make up for a system I don't like is a storyline and I'll only know if thats any good when I actually know clearly more about it.

Turn-based style is dead in the FF series now days. :(

I think they should make atleast 1 FF13 game that is turn based. Because although I believe in advancing, and I like the new system, I also like turn based, and would like to see it continue as well. Square Enix claims they have nothing else they can do to make the battle system unique if its turn-based.. Guess they haven't seen XenoSaga, and Shadow Hearts. =P They could always add some nice feature like they do, to keep you from just pressing X or something.

Turn based systems made everything so exciting; whose bar will fill up first, mine or the enemy's - da da duhhhh.

I liked the way it was in FFX as well with the bar that shows who goes within the next 10 moves or whatever. Haha. Though those bars filling up like in FFIX was great too.

I think the gambit style was more realistic though. Who sits and takes turn hitting each other in a fight. It's usually a no holds bar. I like the new style. It's easier and more exciting for me. Plus, you don't have to sit and wait while the screen re-adjusts to do the fight. It was all live. A lot faster in my opinion.

I liked the way it was in FFX as well with the bar that shows who goes within the next 10 moves or whatever. Haha. Though those bars filling up like in FFIX was great too.

Yeah that was cool, you could plan the fight really well.

OT: Yeah those kind of comments piss me off too, and like you said, one can't judge the game that much from a minute and a half trailer, I just said, wow awesome graphics and the fight scene looked great :D

Yeah, lol..

You could look at what type of effect a move would have on the movement grid, such as with Valefor's special attack to see if Valefor was really going to get to go again, etc.. and see which character being hasted would get to go before the boss. Good way of continuing to attack without the enemy attacking back. Really kind of makes me want to play X again.. Haha.

Personally I haven't seen the minute and a half trailer, because my internet connection is too slow. Though I do believe I saw a shorter trailer.. It seems really great. Though most of what I have seen are images and in-game screenshots. xD I'm more anticipating FF Versus 13, then I am FF13 however. Haha. I like darker stories, which is why I like the Shadow Hearts stories (at least the first one) so much.