AotM #4: Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

lemmingllama

This was not my original choice since I got a lovely reccomendation, but sadly that anime was not uploaded to the site so it will have to wait till later months. So this is fourth installment of a monthly event, the Anime of the Month. Simply put, we will watch the anime throughout the month and then chat about it in a thread. As guidelines, the anime chosen will always be 26 episodes or less, and active users of the thread can pm me suggestions for the next month's anime. Also please try something that not everyone has seen before so the discussions arent biased. Please no movies or OVA series, we want an actual series. Now that we have that established, we can now begin with the Anime of the Month #4, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo! This has 24 episodes

This can be found in Sicka's thread in 720p and dual audio.

http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=33680

This is also available with multiple fileservers in MysterySword's thread in 720p and dual audio

http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=34382

This is also available in mini encodes in Epichomie's threads

Dual audio http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=12048

Sub http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=12899

Synopsis

Trying to escape his uneventful life, Albert, the son of a renowned general from Paris, makes a journey with his friend Franz. During his travels, he meets an immensely wealthy nobleman named The Count of Monte Cristo. Living in luxurious hotels, surrounded by beautiful women and strong bodyguards, the charming but enigmatic count fascinates Albert. Albert invites the count to join the high society of Paris. However, unknown to Albert, his father had once framed the count and took the Count's fiancee as his own.

ANN

Again, please pm me with suggestions or if you post them in the thread, please add other content that is related to the thread. If you have an upload that you would like to add, please post in the thread or pm/vm me so it can be added to this post. Enjoy.

So I decided just to pick this up, and I am glad that I did. The first thing that struck me was the artwork. It is completely unique, I have not seen anything like it for a long time. The characters and backgrounds are all portrayed with little detail, yet due to the colouration and patterning of the art style then they still have the same splendor as a normal anime of the same caliber. Now after the art got to me, I next started to love how they moved a classical novel and made it into a futuristic one. Everything is perfect, down to the added digital clocks.

For audio, I prefer the dub, although the sub is also good. As for the music, the normal background music seems to blend nicely from what I can see. I did not particularly like the OP, but the ED seemed to fit nicely. All in all, I think that this will be an anime that I will heartily enjoy

And sorry for the double post, but this didnt really have anything to do with my above post

The patterns and colors of the clothes i like, and i agree on it saying something to their personalities, but when they move and walk around the colors/patterns do not move with them, and thats what bugs me, or maybe a better word would be "distracts" from the rest of the artwork in the scene.

So far im on ep16, and the story is getting better and better. Gonna try to marathon it tonight, while i finish up some work on the computer.

I have to say that this anime gets better as you watch it, simply because of the underlying plot that surrounds all the characters. I can honestly say that all the characters are vitally important in one respect or another, and the entire story is masterfully done. Right now I have watched 16 episodes, and I would rate this a perfect 10/10!

My only gripe is that albert is a little too much of a bitch all the time, he needs to grow a pair a little more often. But then again, i guess him being 15-16yrs old, and spoiled can explain it. The wussie-boy protagonist thing just gets over used too much.

But i would say this is a must watch, i'm pegging it at a 9/10, even with the bitching i've been doing about the art style & Albert.

My only gripe is that albert is a little too much of a bitch all the time, he needs to grow a pair a little more often. But then again, i guess him being 15-16yrs old, and spoiled can explain it. The wussie-boy protagonist thing just gets over used too much.

But i would say this is a must watch, i'm pegging it at a 9/10, even with the bitching i've been doing about the art style & Albert.

Well of course albear is a little bitch, but thats the reason he is there. Well that and to be completely naive about everything :P

Watched ep 18, glorious. Come on, so we get drama and giant mech fights of doom??? Awesome!!!!!!