Special Ability Story? Need Help/Ideas.

Xanodus

Okay, so one of my goals is to write a long story about whatever. I love writing stories, and one of my favourite genres to write about is fantasy/romance/action.

So I came up and have been planning to write a story about an ordinary girl who is somehow (this is where the ideas come in) related to spirits and demons. This means her eye colour is different to everybody else's and they change colour. Sometimes they're scarlet, green violet etc.. I was thinking of making the eyes change colour when she is in a different mood.

Because she can see spirits, demons and angels and ghosts and stuff, I need ideas as to how she can relate/meet them. I was thinking of an old picture that her dead father had when he was a child, a painting of a group of spirits hovering over a girl with violet eyes, I dunno.

So any ideas? Am happy with aything at this point :)

She'd certainly be less than ordinary if she can see the supernatural and no one else can, haha.

A few questions: Are the supernatural beings she can see aware that she can see them? If they are, which ones make it a point to ignore her and which ones make it a point to talk to her? Can they communicate with her and how? Could the eye colour change be more related to, perhaps, being in the presence of certain entities? Could she be possessed or allow entities to possess her (another use for colour-changing eyes)? Is this a trait passed down by her family? Are there any others like her?

What do the supernatural beings look like? Do they all exist on the same plane or are they aware of the others? Even if normal, living people can't see them, can the supernatural see them? Interact with them? Do the angels/demons have any interest in the dead or try to usher them to the afterlife? Are there any grudges or wars?

Finding these things would seem to me not difficult given the list of beings she is able to see. She'd just have to look in the right places. A cheesy scene that immediately comes to mind is her perhaps walking in a less than reputable area of town and seeing an angel sitting by a bum lying in an alley, haha. A demon lurking at the fenceline of a church.

She could be some sort of medium, perhaps? I don't know how old you intend her to be, but depending on her personality, getting sucked into dead people's business or the grudges of certain entities wouldn't be too difficult. Even if she was reluctant or didn't want to believe, it could easily become personal for her.

Yea, I see what EO is saying. It'd be interesting to know what sort of angels and demons you are going for too. are you going for more Biblical entities, or a pick and mix between different religions. Also, I doubt it but I has to ask, is she the only person that can do what she does, or is there others. If she isn't then you can expand on different people or groups (has an image of some Satanists using higher demons for power binges and the likes) and as EO said, whether possession/subjugation is possible.

Another thing is, where you plan to take the story itself. Are you thinking more Ghost Whisperer or more Constantine. Is there a balance of power, or is there just good and bad spirits/demons/angels? Like what EO said, does the eye colour actually translate to the kind of spirit she is seeing/interacting with? Or is it more mood based?

Last thing I was going too ask. Considering you said you like action, will you have other people who can do other things? For instance, sticking with the spirit theme, a kid was born into a family that has a long standing partnership/relationship with, say a elemental/Fallen Angel related too fire (the latter being if you stick with the Christian side of things), and can use a form of pyromancy? Or another that is shadowed by an Incubus meaning he is a womaneater in both senses?

Thanks for the ideas ^.^

The demons/spirits themselves are sort of like angels, devils, and other creepy monsters which I'll have to sketch up. There are good demons, and bad demons, and the two both want power over he girl, (I was thinking of calling her Maya). As for the eye colour changing, I was thinking of making her eyes change colour when a certain demon was in her presence. I very much love the idea of possessing, that seems interesting. I also sort of made a picture edit, with a face half a red eye and half a green eye. Reflected in the red eye is fire, and reflected in the green eye is a vine. I was thinking of giving her elemental powers or something like that, and as the story goes along she meets other people who can see the spirits and demons too.

Thanks for all the ideas, I need all i can get :)

Thanks for the ideas ^.^

The demons/spirits themselves are sort of like angels, devils, and other creepy monsters which I'll have to sketch up. There are good demons, and bad demons, and the two both want power over he girl, (I was thinking of calling her Maya). As for the eye colour changing, I was thinking of making her eyes change colour when a certain demon was in her presence. I very much love the idea of possessing, that seems interesting. I also sort of made a picture edit, with a face half a red eye and half a green eye. Reflected in the red eye is fire, and reflected in the green eye is a vine. I was thinking of giving her elemental powers or something like that, and as the story goes along she meets other people who can see the spirits and demons too.

Thanks for all the ideas, I need all i can get :)

oooh....interesting. So the possession will have direct consequences for the host I suppose? Would that mean that Maya is possessed? Or is that a plot device for her to battle her own inner demons, if you'll pardon the pun.

Another thing that I'd like to know, although it may not be relevant, is if she sees the demons/spirits as they truly are? I mean, many books with similar story devices show the creatures as an ethereal form only, featureless unless they are very powerful, or fully manifested (as in everyone can see them). It can add a bit of a twist to a story, in the sense that it makes it harder to distinguish between the good and bad.

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with Yuri-kins!

Sounds good, Maybe the girl gets kidnapped by a group of "good guys" maybe demon hunters? This group exploiting her eyes and abilities to find the original fallen angels who were chained and imprisoned along time ago by God.

These Fallen Angels hold the key to destroying the demon world. which is the main goal for these demon hunters.

Throw in some love triangles between a demon and a demon hunter.

oooh....interesting. So the possession will have direct consequences for the host I suppose? Would that mean that Maya is possessed? Or is that a plot device for her to battle her own inner demons, if you'll pardon the pun.

Another thing that I'd like to know, although it may not be relevant, is if she sees the demons/spirits as they truly are? I mean, many books with similar story devices show the creatures as an ethereal form only, featureless unless they are very powerful, or fully manifested (as in everyone can see them). It can add a bit of a twist to a story, in the sense that it makes it harder to distinguish between the good and bad.

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with Yuri-kins!

Thanks Rune, and I am planning to make a change, with the demons, they can possess people and lurk around places, therefore acting, sounding and looking like a human is what makes them harder to locate, and sneaky.

Sounds good, Maybe the girl gets kidnapped by a group of "good guys" maybe demon hunters? This group exploiting her eyes and abilities to find the original fallen angels who were chained and imprisoned along time ago by God.

These Fallen Angels hold the key to destroying the demon world. which is the main goal for these demon hunters.

Throw in some love triangles between a demon and a demon hunter.

Great ideas! Thanks! I was thinking of making a demon/spirit (GGGRRRRR WHATEVER YOU WANNA CALL THEM) fall in love with Maya :)