Dragon Story ~ Ideas

Shazi

okay since we need to get things moving in this forum, i need some help expanding on some ideas for a project i want to complete after Aishod. this is what i have so far:

dragons are small lizards with wings and fire breath. They are used by the elves as protection and their intelligence makes them perfect for communication between elven settlements.

Humans are not aware of dragons until Mya, a young orphan, stumbles upon a nest of wild dragons. 3 of them hatch and bond with her.

she tried to keep them a secret but the elves discover she has them and bring her to their forest to live. the humans learn of this and attack the elves and burn the forest down.

the elves reteliate and start a war between the elves and humans.

what do you guys think? have any ideas to add to it that i might be able to use?

How intelligent are the dragons? Can they talk? Communicate psychically? Interpretive dance? Depending on how intelligent they are, there's potential in having them intercepted and attempts in exploiting them. Especially if the humans are going to be vindictive enough to burn down their forest, they're probably not above trying to torture information out of a dragon.

Do the elves develop a grudge against Mya and blame her?

Also, does the mother dragon ever discover that her babies went missing? =o

Okay, i was thinking that the dragons have a sort of telepathic link to other dragons and they share "images" with each other. a bond with an elf is one where the elf can share language through a link with the dragon, allowing them to send messages back and forth between tribes.

a human bond i haven't thought through completely. i would like to make it a different bond than to elves, which the elves would want to study.

a mojority of elves would not blame Mya but themselves for taking her, whereas some would definitly see her as the "real threat" to their people.

perhaps the mother dragon could discover her offspring missing and attempt to find them, it would make for some filler thats for sure

sounds similar to the link between dragon and rider in The Inheritance Cycle. I would recommend if doing a dragon story that you emphasize more on the link between Mya and the dragons, and less so on the war/feud going on. It can get pretty interesting fast if done properly, especially if they are mentally bonded.

I say this cause I did a similar story (they weren't dragons though, they was eagles of very large proportions) and when I done it focusing on the politics it turned out pretty bad. When I re did it more orientated on the bond between them, it turned out much more interesting. But thats just me, obviously you might feel differently and pull it off much better than I did...

Just an idea for the bonds and why the elves would take an interest in a human bond. If a bond is between the first humanoid the dragon sees and the dragon or some variart, then lets say that the elves reserve the rights to dragons for themselves and so dragons only breed and hatch eggs in elven protected areas. But these ones werent in elven areas, so a human found them.

Now lets say that the bond is basically a link, where the dragon's temperment and intelligence level is equal to that of the person they are bonded with. So elven bonded dragons will be like elves, and this means that human bonded dragons will be like humans. So if you make elves have a temperment that is different than humans, means that these dragons will also be different, like being short tempered or creative rather than logical.