Anti-Anime Bias in the US

WilliamC

Cartoon Network removed shows like One Piece of Naruto for their stupid CN Real program block, which failed hard. CW shows anime, but the good 75% of it are repeats. Same with Adult Swim, it has one show that they show new episodes of, and the rest of them are repeats. Though they are great anime, I do get tired of them. On top of that Cartoon Network seems to openly mock us. I remember that SyFy had AniMonday, they first advertised it and showed some anime I never saw before, but then they moved it to different days without mentioning it, until they finally cancelled it. Sometimes they had a stupid movie, or a marathon instead of AniMonday.

Its just that people dont watch it enough to get good time slots. Also they dont want to risk new programs that people could or could not like, so they instead just re-run the anime that they know people will watch. If you really want anime, its easier to just download or buy it.

This!

Although its getting harder to be able to download certain animes now. Even though sites are re-building after the last wipeout im going to call it. Its only a matter of time before downloading animes is a thing of the past (I hope that im wrong on this one). And not all animes can be bought as easily as they are downloaded.

Its just that people dont watch it enough to get good time slots. Also they dont want to risk new programs that people could or could not like, so they instead just re-run the anime that they know people will watch. If you really want anime, its easier to just download or buy it.

This is essentially truth. It's not their there's bias or anything in the U.S., its just lack of interest. I would say at least 20% (That's being generous) of the population has heard of anime, and even less are regular everyday anime-viewers; even much more less of those viewers cosplay.

Truth be told, not many people watch it on tv - which is why anime streaming sites do so well, as well as fansubbers that pick up series as projects. You "might" find what you want to watch on regular television, or you can just go download exactly what you want. Decisions Decisions? No that's just stupid, you'd go download/stream exactly what you want to watch and call it a day.

This!

Although its getting harder to be able to download certain animes now. Even though sites are re-building after the last wipeout im going to call it. Its only a matter of time before downloading animes is a thing of the past (I hope that im wrong on this one). And not all animes can be bought as easily as they are downloaded.

You would actually be surprised, if an anime has been dubbed then it isnt that difficult to find. In almost any tech store, at least in Canada, I can walk in and find at least a small shelf devoted to anime DVDs and Blu-Rays. So basically anything that Funimation touches gets out on shelves, or can be ordered.

Distributing free anime and monitoring usage and what not would be a good way to gauge popularity and the possibility of success. I think the general problem is public perception of animation only being for kids, and a fear of taking risks for the distributors.

This is the stupid thing, that there are no real risks. If its popular in Japan and gets dubbed, then it will probably be popular in America and other countries... Also for the distributing online, they actually have something called ONA's, which is a trailer episode released online and if its popular then it gets a series. Sadly most of these series dont happen even if they should, as is the case of Cat Shit One

Another reason it's difficult to find anime is due to the economic troubles that the country has been going through in the last few years. In the United States, money is a major issue and when the choices are between food, paying rent/mortgages, debts, and bills or buying anime (which is usually very pricey unless it's a used copy), priorities must come first and entertainment last. Part of the reason downloading is so popular now is because many of the old anime titles are out-of-print perhaps due to many of the distributing companies going bankrupt partly due to downloading in the first place but also for poor planning and management, and with little to no chance of obtaining a renewed license and they're often for free. Funimation has been relicensing many of the old anime, however that's just a single company and it could easily turn into a monopoly if enough distributing and dubbing companies follow the pattern of bankruptcy and thus it would have to close down itself due to the law.

As for the reason why anime isn't shown as much as live-action even on CN, it's tied to animation in general. Even after years of mature titles, both mature in content and mature in concepts, most people still think of animation as simply for children. Something to laugh at for its sheer "stupidity" and to use to their advantage to keep their kids quiet while they relax themselves. To be honest, animation is the perfect way to plant political and social ideas into children’s minds even subconsciously. It's the perfect marketing tool and is often much more smart then people give credit. In fact, many contain subtle references to psychological, literary, and philosophical ideas that most adults may not understand right away until they remember their high school and college years and the books (you know, those heavy objects with many pages and confusing words written in them that have caused many panic attacks throughout the years) that they had to read. Sadly, these can be so subtle that people will never get these ideas until they sit down and think about the show they just watched, but they never will. Why? Because when most Americans watch TV, they tend to turn their brain off. It's the same with anime. In fact, it's worse with anime because if your son or daughter enjoys watching the sub version because it either was not released with a dubbed version or they prefer it that way, the first thing out of many parents mouths will be along the lines of, "Why are you watching this crap? You can't understand a word they're saying."

• 2 weeks later...

I think the biggest thing that drives this bias is this general feeling that "animation is for kids". I mean, some parents act surprised when they sit their kids down in front of Family Guy and are just SHOCKED when it's not appropriate.

Since animation has been around as kids' entertainment for so long, any kind of animation, even anime, gets lumped in. And in the US, most people don't treat kids' shows as "serious."