Motion Controls in Gaming; A gimmick or the future?

Koby

Motion control is a gimmick used to influence non gamers or casual gamers into the gaming world... the Wii for instance is purely family orientated. I have been a hardcore gamer for 13 years (meeeh im getting old) and its the 1 console no gamer I know would touch. To cost would be out of this world to make motion gaming accurate enough to become mainstream for gaming, which of course nobody would pay for.

• 1 month later...

First of all, if force feedback is included, then it's definitely the way to go, but it would still be pretty hard considering it has the potential to cause injuries.

I think motion control can still be a future if the game developer can go to the right direction. The main reason for people not to like motion control is because it's too "fake" (or lazy), a sword fight without hitting anything feels fake, so they shouldn't make games that involve force feedback until the technology is out. For example, a dancing game(not that I like the game) is more realistic.

There are hardcore gamers that like motion games. Think about all those shooting game with gun (time crisis), guitar hero and rock band, they can make gamers to play it for hours and hours. The game develop just have to think about how to make a good game seems real instead of making those fake reality games. Anyhow, if it doesn't work out, we can still goes back to the controller.

Yep, and a step I can't wait for. Though if they do bring out VR, I'll be first in line for the Alien games! imagine seeing a facehugger coming right at you from nowhere, and actually thinking its real. now that would really be a sweet game!

Still, before then, I hope they try and build a little on what they did with EndWar in using voice commands for gaming. A great idea, and you really felt like a General commanding his/her own army to victory (or certain defeat) depending on the use of special weapons...)

Yep, and a step I can't wait for. Though if they do bring out VR, I'll be first in line for the Alien games! imagine seeing a facehugger coming right at you from nowhere, and actually thinking its real. now that would really be a sweet game!

Still, before then, I hope they try and build a little on what they did with EndWar in using voice commands for gaming. A great idea, and you really felt like a General commanding his/her own army to victory (or certain defeat) depending on the use of special weapons...)

An alien game would be cool, but a little to intense for me. What I want is a final fantasy game or a zelda game in virtual reality ^.^ that would be outstanding, or even some type of mmo.

From what I've seen of people playing games on Kinect I have to say that the technology hasn't gone that far from the EyeToy. Delays in the interface, no precision, and most the games have motions that just don't make sense for what you want to do.

Sure, the casual market has grown and game makers now have a new demographic to exploit, but the quality of the games aimed toward the "casual crowd" seem to be aimed at people who don't want to play video games. If you're trying to market a Wii game based on Tennis to people who probably play tennis then why not just go play tennis?! I'd rather slice up demons with my Dualshock thank you.

I'm a bit more optimistic about the Sony Move. While still a weird looking light-up wand you get a kid for Halloween it does act like a more accurate Wii-mote with some more fine precision to it. Now when it is actually released and we get a good look at it who knows, but I can see some games for the more hardcore demographic coming in to legitimize it.

Still, both are at present Gimmicks to attract a knew emerging demographic that Nintendo has had for years. They are not revolutions or new technology; just refinements of other ideas. Next evolution of gaming? Hardly. But then again may Odin help us all when our controllers for the Xbox720 and PS4 are replaced with a camera, a wand, a balance board, and some strange electrode you attach to your nipples.