Anyone mind giving me a good recommendation?

Zovesta

Hope I'm doing this right!

Anyway, I'm looking for... um... a cute anime, I guess. Cute, ugly, and creepy at the same time. Basically, something like Anpanman or GeGeGe no Kitarou (the 1968 series, or the new Hakaba Kitarou series). I like entertaining characters drawn in a fairly simplistic style. Something that is cute without being cutesy, endearing without becoming Hello Kitty. And, for example, Kitarou is a pretty dark show, and Anpanman is about a guy feeding his head to people. So those weird and dark elements thrown in would be great.

Would prefer a children's cartoon, as those seem to be the ones that hit the nail on the head, but if it's not, that's cool, too. Anyone able to recommend anything like this to me?

Cat soup, An art film, sort of cute but dark about cat siblings. Dennou coil, A simple styled anime drama about technology in the future. This anime has its darker and cute side. Any .Hack. This ones a mind blower. How ever it is also steeped with what you asked for, it has its cute side, funny side, serious side and dark side, really dark side. Katanagatari its not all that dark, but its an unique adventure anime with light comedy tones, serous punctuations, and great simple stylized art.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei this one leans more on comedy and a bright art style, how ever it has a hidden dark side witch creates the prime element of the show.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried School Days, Cat Soup, and Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei. I honestly couldn't stand School Days, Cat Soup was pretty neat, and Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei might keep me busy for a bit. Thanks for all of the recs, though, I just haven't been able to find time to check out the others.

Haha, oooh yeah. I remember watching Invader Zim all the time. Good show.