Facts

lemmingllama

I noticed the word getting used so i thought i'd correct it. Did you know that bushido has absolutly nothing to do with the old feudal samurai. Most people think it does, but in reality the "Bushido Code" came about as early as 1905. The whole thing started with an honest, if retarded mistake by a historian named Nitobe Inazo, who based his 1905 book Bushido: The Spirit of Japan on rules written for samurai. Aside from laws that they were told to follow, the history of the samurai is notable for a complete lack of evidence that they were any more happy to die in battle and even a little bit loyal. It's entirely possible that a warrior sacrificing his life was seen as noble, but that's no different than the European code of chivalry which also made room for honorable suicide.

As it turns out, our modern concept of Bushido developed as a method of social control. The Emperor and the Imperial Army and Navy (back in the 1920s-40s) wanted something that would boost their men's fighting spirit. When Nitobe Inazo sucked at his job badly enough to write that "the way of the warrior is to die," they all just sort of nodded and said, "Yep, that's the way of the warrior alright!"

Fascinating! I knew the gist of it, but not the specifics. I've been trying to learn as much about samurai as possible, but I only started learning about them a few months ago, so I have plenty left. This is very interesting, I'll be sure to write it down somewhere. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Maths facts:

• 0/0 is impossible, since it should be 1 but anything divided by 0 is 0.
  • 1/0 is ∞.
  • e^iπ = -1, which is weird because i is an imagery number.
  • i^2 = -1, where √-n is √n i.
  • 0^0 is impossible, since it should be 1 but it is another expression where something is times by 0 so it should also be 0.
  • 1! = 1, 2! = 1x2 = 2, 3! = 1x2x3 = 6 (where ! means factorial), but 0! = 1. Not sure why though.

Will probably remember more after my maths exam =).

Maths facts:

• 0/0 is impossible, since it should be 1 but anything divided by 0 is 0.

• 1/0 is ∞.

• e^iπ = -1, which is weird because i is an imagery number.

• i^2 = -1, where √-nx is ni (x is any number).

• 0^0 is impossible, since it should be 1 but it is another expression where something is times by 0 so it should also be 0.

• 1! = 1, 2! = 1x2 = 2, 3! = 1x2x3 = 6 (where ! means factorial), but 0! = 1. Not sure why though.

Will probably remember more after my maths exam =).

some more useless facts-->

101 Dalmatians and Peter Pan (Wendy) are the only two Disney cartoon features with both parents that are present and don't die throughout the movie.

12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily.

A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.

A whale's penis is called a dork.

According to a British law passed in 1845, attempting to commit suicide was a capital offense. Offenders could be hanged for trying.

All of the clocks in the movie "Pulp Fiction" are stuck on 4:20.

Aztec emperor Montezuma had a nephew, Cuitlahac, whose name meant "plenty of excrement."

and... lemming you are a canadian ...... so how about you ...... (regarding first fact below):dhh::big_smile:

5% of Canadians don't know the first 7 words of the Canadian anthem, but know the first 9 of the American anthem.

7% of Americans don't know the first 9 words of the American anthem, but know the first 7 of the Canadian anthem.

I know both anthems decently, though I know Canadian off by heart. And now some American facts

•Amount American Airlines saved in 1987 by eliminating one olive from each salad served in first class: $40,000.

•In 1960, an estimated 4,000 people were over 100 years old in the U.S. By 1995 the number had jumped to 55,000.

•In 1921 76 inches of snow fell over Silver Lake, Colorodo, the heaviest snowfall ever recorded.

•The first minimum wage to be established in America was 25 cents an hour, it was in 1938.

• 1 year later...

My hearing is so awful I have to watch TV with subtitles, haha. One of my favourite Wiki pages is this one: List of Common Misconceptions.

A little while ago I read about this thing called TV pickup, where basically because a lot of Brits tend to watch the same shows, they generally get up at the same time during commercials to put the kettle on or open the fridge, causing a spike on the energy grid.

They sure like their tea, like wow.

Beetles taste like apples, wasps like pine nuts, and worms  like fried bacon.

Queen Elizabeth I regarded herself as a paragon of cleanliness. She declared that she bathed once every three months, whether she needed it or not

Someone paid $14,000 for the bra worn by Marilyn Monroe in the film 'Some Like It Hot'.

The word "samba" means "to rub navels together."

Because of the rotation of the earth, an object can be thrown farther if it is thrown west.

The first couple to be shown in bed together on prime time television were Fred and Wilma Flintstone.