Imagination

lemmingllama

Is our imagination limitless or is it limited by our experiences? Some say that our imagination is simply a regurgitation of daily life, and that only by having experiences can we have imagination. You cannot imagine movement until percieving or experiencing movement. However, others say that our imagination is limitless and that is why you can think up those funny little inventions or strange monsters. So, thoughts?

Well, imagination is subjective to the person in question. I pride myself in the fact I have a very fricking vivid imagination that likes to run rampant on occasion. I know only one other person that seems to be the same. Most of my friends (in RL) seem to have pretty small imaginations to the point that they think I'm crazy cause of mine. Judging by what I've seen in real life and on the various forums and sites I've been to imagination is a dying thing, just like originality and common sense. But meh, at least I have it...

I think imagination is limited by our experiences but by listening to someone else's experiences or by reading or watching T.V. , movie etc. it can expand our imagination. But what is imagination or is it fantasy. Eg. You imagine your dream home but would it actually be a fantasy because you know you can never afford it. Now if you fulfill a fantasy you have to make up another one and so on. Eventually you will run out of ideas. If you can make your imagination become reality wouldn't you run out of imagination. Wouldn't that make life boring... That's just my opinion.

But what is imagination or is it fantasy. Eg. You imagine your dream home but would it actually be a fantasy because you know you can never afford it. Now if you fulfill a fantasy you have to make up another one and so on. Eventually you will run out of ideas. If you can make your imagination become reality wouldn't you run out of imagination. Wouldn't that make life boring... That's just my opinion.

"imagination" comes from the Latin word imaginare and means "to form an image or to represent". Were as The word "fantasy" comes from the Greek word phantazesthai and means "picture to oneself". A fantasy is a product of the imagination. It is an imagined sequence of events or mental images (a daydream). A fantasy may originate from conflicts, desires, frustrations, or wishes when the imagination interacts with reality.

Can you run out of imagination? No, depends on what you are willing your mind to combined and recreate from what you have experienced. There are so many combination that can result from your experiences, if you make some imagination realities there are so many more that you can't make realities and if you did there will be always something next you want.

Is our imagination limitless or is it limited by our experiences? Limited by our experience's you can not imagine something you have not experienced that is though any one of your sense's(smell, touch, sight, taste, hearing). Imagination is not always about physical experiences, If you are asked to think of anything, absolutely anything that no one has heard about? you can't why because you haven't experienced it.

our imagination is limitless and that is why you can think up those funny little inventions or strange monsters. Not true if you have thought of monsters or inventions it is something you have experienced, say monsters you may have seen them from movies or some animals with similar features and hence is just a recreation of all you know. With inventions the same applies you have experienced them and have just found another way of doing them differently.

If imagination was purely limited by experiences, we'd still be beating each other to death with our bare hands and grunting a lot. Invention is powered by imagination. Some inventions are based on other things. Other times, the imagination has proven to be an incredible problem solving tool. It's all a matter of how an individual's mind works.

If imagination was purely limited by experiences, we'd still be beating each other to death with our bare hands and grunting a lot. Invention is powered by imagination. Some inventions are based on other things. Other times, the imagination has proven to be an incredible problem solving tool. It's all a matter of how an individual's mind works.

For invention, it can be traced back to basic things like fire and going onward to cellphones. A cellphone is just a fancy phone. A phone is just a fancy telegraph. Telegraph is just fancy post. Post is just fancy carrier pigeons. Pigeons are found in the wild while we beat each other with hands.

my imagination... i say it it no way has any limits what-so-ever!

i make up storied from fairies raping me (sorry for that one Poe) to BsE and TC. I have not done noe seen enything like any of the examples in my life, so if my imagination was limited to my everyday life i would be as boring as fuck (sorry about the cussing here XD)

• 2 years later...

Imagination is an odd thing, much like dreams, things and ideas can pop in your head that was never even mentioned or anything before.

Some things in people imaginations, are dirivative from things that they have heard or seen, and in some cases are uncomparable to the original sorce by time your imagination invisions it in your own views on things.

Like things can have more then one meaning, and there is more then one truth or realitty, no one views anything the exact same way, because of both perception, and imagination of each person is different.

Edited by Tsukumo Yuma

• 1 month later...