Hivemind

lemmingllama

It really depends on what there is to share for example in medicine it would help so much if the knowledge of one amazing doctor is spread around the world to other doctors in order to serve others with the same condition. Same applies with the knowledge of physics it would be great if enough people knew what was going on around them. In this case it would be a good thing

But in the case of a Business it would not work so well for though's who worked so hard or found it by chance, to discover something only to find out that everybody know's it and only recognized as the fact that there were the first to find it out. In this case it would be good for everyone but not the business

It's only a good thing if you the person it the one gaining other than sacrificing your gains

The concept of a hivemind is quite a bit different from simply being able to read anyone's thoughts... The main trait is that there is only one collective will. Everyone would have a certain task, however long term goals would all be the same. The theory behind that is whenever information is shared at that extent, instead of seen ourselves as one person, we see ourselves as a single entity. You really wouldn't have to worry about thinking nasty thoughts or your friends grossing you out because unless every single person in the world wants to do it (including you) it won't happen.

The biggest problem I see is that you lose free will. It would be great to be able to access all the information from every human, but is it worth it if it means you can't think for yourself? I have no intention of living my life as a pathetic drone, even if it would be for the greater good of humanity. Our race may benefit, but in the end, free will and the ability to do whatever we put our minds to is what really makes us human at all.

Although to a point we do behave like a hive mind. What is the internet, after all? What are memes? It's kind of depressing. People follow fashions because other people are following them. People stop to look at something because other people are looking at it. People panic in economic crises because other people are panicking... We don't have a hive mind, we have a herd mind.

Like CaNzCo said, becoming a hive mind would mean all seven billion of us (and counting) would be reduced to one (ish). There'd be none of this daft 'rebelling against the system': if the system decides you're expendable then sorry, pal, you're done for.

And as for lemmingllama's original question, I don't think we'd be able to cope with that. The amount of information out there is frightening, and I don't think anyone would be able to have all of it in their head and stay sane. If we kept our individual personalities we'd be unable to cope with it all, but if we had everything at our disposal then we would lose ourselves in other people's heads.

hm, interesting one...

I personally find the Hivemind concept very appealing. One single collective consciousness would mean the end of conflict, the end of doubts, dispair and jealousy. True, we lose all free will, but the trade off is stability, order and a peacefull life. I'm not a hundred percent behind it though, as I'm kind of an anarchist at heart. Not in the sense of Che Guevara crap most people think is anarchism these days, but more a non governed world state...lol

It seems I've gone off topic, but then again the Hivemind concept actually allows for anarchy in the sense no one is at the helm, all are equal.

P.S: Anyone think of the Human Instrumentality Project when reading this?! :P