Video game anime

If I remember right.. one of the OVA's of Hunter x Hunter they actually go inside of a game to figure out clues the main characters father may have left behind in the game.

Here are some series or movies I'd recommend:

Summer Wars

Involves an online world. There's also a problem with the online world that the main character needed to take care of. Very similar to the .hack series if you ask me.

Pretty much any of the Digimon series will fall into the category of similarity based on the fact they go inside of a computer or the digital realm and it all seems really similar to a video game.

I heard summer wars was good, but I never actually watched it...

I liked it enough to buy the Blu-ray for under $15 brand new. It was the best thing out or anything but it certainly was enjoyable and I'd recommend watching it to those who haven't. Hicks seems to disagree though as if I remember correctly it was Hicks that rated it rather poorly in his review and well I can understand his reasons he gave, but they didn't bother me like they did him. =P It is kind of similar to the first Digimon movie though.

I would suggest the Tales series. I think a few anime series have been made from the video games. I've Watched Tales of The Abyss which started a little slow, but turned awesome; Tales of Phantasia: The Animation which was pretty good; Tales of Symphonia which is ongoing and very good; and a movie called Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike - which was a great watch.