Great Anime Movies

Well if you liked summer wars then you need to watch "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time". Same animation studio and a fantastic movie.

Of course anything from studio Ghibli is also fantastic; I higly reccommend "Howls Moving Castle", "Nausica of the Valley of The Wind" and "Princess Mononoke".

pretty much EVERY ANIMATION DIRECTED by Hayao Miyazaki Howls moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Spirited away etc, AND I second the girl who leapt through time

My fav Hayao Miyazaki film would be Nausicaa: Valley of the wind

Fantastic movie

• 5 weeks later...

Can recommend "Appleseed Ex-machina" (2007). This is a sequel to the 2004 movie. And the OVA is good too. Recommend all three.

Summary (excerpt from Wikipedia):

Appleseed (アップルシード Appurushīdo) is a 2004 Japanese animated science fiction action film directed by Shinji Aramaki. Based on the Appleseed manga created by Masamune Shirow, the film stars the voices of Ai Kobayashi, Jūrōta Kosugi, Mami Koyama, Yuki Matsuoka, and Toshiyuki Morikawa. The film tells the story of Deunan Knute, as she searches for data that can restore the bioroids' reproductive capabilities. Although it shares some characters with the original series, this film's storyline is not connected to it. It is not to be confused with the 1988 OVA also based on the manga. Appleseed was released in theaters on April 17, 2004.

Appleseed Ex Machina is a 2007 Japanese animated CG film and is the sequel to the 2004 Appleseed film, similarly directed by Shinji Aramaki, and was produced by Hong Kong director and producer John Woo. It's even got some costume design by Prada.

• 1 month later...

i'd recommend the case closed/detective conan movies. they are possibly better than the anime since the story line isn't pushed into a 30 min slot. i really enjoyed them- even my mum did and she doesn't watch anime. :exciting:

i like howls movie castle too, as well as spirited away. my dad enjoyed the girl who lept through time.

It might be worth looking at the movies related to tv shows eg the bleach movies, naruto movies, dragonball movies, digimon movies, the fma movie too. etc.

Akira might be another one. Its known as the movie that brought anime to the world, it recently came out in blu ray in the uk- which is not something that happens often.

Additionally, if you ever watch/ed eden of the east then you need to see the two movies to finish the anime off.

Miyazaki... makes... great... movies.

The Ghost in the Shell movies are good also.

I have also heard great things about Tekkonkinreet... but have not had a chance to watch it myself.

There are a number of movies tied to series that can be watched by themselves, I just don't know you would have the same appreciation for them without knowing the series.

• 2 weeks later...