Pirate Lore

Myrodis19

Well they have Black beard, i heard they have the Dutchman in it too, also in a recent episode they even went to Treasure Island, stuff like that.

His name is Blackbeard a.k.a. Marshall D. Teach but he's not related to the Blackbeard of stories in anyway. Trust me, one look at him and you'll find it hard to relate him to the one of lore.

They don't go treasure hunting after entering the Grand Line. they have to follow a "Log Pose" which takes them to the next island in the series.

Many of the names are based on those of pirates of old. There are many other call backs to pirate lore in general. What specifically are you looking for?

I think he is asking people to make a list of anything that might have come from Pirate lore, whether it be simply a character name even though the character has no relevance or not. Just anything at all.

Okay lets give this a try. Something I did notice is how some of the characters names and style seem to originate from old stories. Ussop, or Ussop's fables. There really was a Blackbeard with the name of teach. Ohh and Zoro. Duh that ones easy.

I can imagine thare is more, but you need to be a history buff to notice them.

Other wise One piece is to much a fantasy to have many ties to real pirate lore. The only exception to this is when they say buzz words when talking about there ships and such.

Okay lets give this a try. Something I did notice is how some of the characters names and style seem to originate from old stories. Ussop, or Ussop's fables. There really was a Blackbeard with the name of teach. Ohh and Zoro. Duh that ones easy.

I can imagine thare is more, but you need to be a history buff to notice them.

Other wise One piece is to much a fantasy to have many ties to real pirate lore. The only exception to this is when they say buzz words when talking about there ships and such.

Usopp may be a coincidence. his name contains the word "Uso", which means "lie" in Japanese, to indicate his primary weapon for battle i.e. using lies and deception to win fights.

Zoro is nothing like that mexican legend. the only thing common is that they use swords and in Zoro's case, he actually uses his 3 swords to cut down his enemies, not make a flashy retreat.

from what i've seen of One Piece so far, i think it's meant to be an "international" anime, considering that the author using English words when drawing the manga to label maps, taverns and whatnot.

the only japanese i've seen in it is in the anime when they write the name and affiliation of pirates such as Blackbeard.