Pokemon vs Digimon vs Monster Rancher (GAME)

apr118

Which among the 3 do you like best in GAMING?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which among the 3 do you like best in GAMING?

• [Color="Red"]Pokemon[/color]
    • [color="blue"]Digimon[/color]
    • [color="Green"]Monster Rancher[/color]

Ok so recently, I made the "Pokemon vs Digimon vs Monster Rancher" thread in the anime section and observed that the three needs a thread here at the game section.

It is so, because the reasoning of the other members states that they like the other better when it comes to games than it is in its anime counterpart.

So, what is your pick among the 3 when it comes to games/gaming? :D

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well seems that we have an another interesting thread here, though.. my vote will come to Monster Rancher.

still, i will not be biased on this as i will give the list of Pokemon, Digimon and Monster Rancher games that i've finished before i give my reason on why i chose Monster Rancher.

POKEMON

List of Pokemon Games Finished: (All GBA)

Pokemon Yellow

Pokemon Red

Pokemon Blue

Pokemon Green

Pokemon Gold

Pokemon Silver

Pokemon Crystal

Overview: it's a fun game and a good series.. there are lots of adventures as you travel the world and put some good list of pokemon in your pokedex. as you travel forward, you will battle for the badge and come to the top. you can trade with someone to complete your pokedex and evolve some other pokemons who need it.

Pros:

1. A Sense of good adventure as you go for the badge and complete your Pokedex.

2. Trading with other People can sometimes evolve Pokemons.

3. You can boost your Pokemon's abilities by giving them TM's which can be acquired inside the game.

4. Battle with Ash XD

Cons:

1. Similar Battle System.

2. It's only a 1 step adventure, once you defeat each trainer and acquired the badge.. you can't battle with that trainer again.

DIGIMON

List of Digimon Games Finished: (PSX + PS2)

Digimon 1

Digimon 2

Digimon 3

Digimon 4

Overview: it term's of breeding gameplay, digimon has it up's over Pokemon since that it's more simulated. i.e. Digimon 1

Pros:

1. Each Digimon Game from 1, 2, 3, 4 has different breeding and battle gameplay which makes it unique from Pokemon and Monster Rancher.

Digimon 1 - Real Time Breeding (there is Day and Night, you Digimon poops, and time passes by. The Battle is 1 VS 1)

Digimon 2 - As your Digivolve Points sack up, you can fuse Digimons and have a good outcome of it. you can chose which team your at (Viruz, Data, Vaccine and can battle with 3 digimons of your choice in the battlefield). The Digibeetle assembly is also a + factor for this game.

Digimon 3 - One of the best in the series where the sense of adventure is in it + the unique card battle system which can be played in the game. also, you can use 1 digimon for a battle field but can also change with a different digimon in your arsenal (the battle system is much more easier than 1).

Digimon 4 - Active Time Battle.

2. Digimon games are Role Playing Games so it's much more longer to finished than Pokemon (difference of playing in a GBoy and PS console takes into consideration too).

Cons:

1. Digimon 2's battle system is quite slow paced and kinda boring making a player feel sleep when he/she plays.

2. No Trades! :D, it's a full Role Playing Game!

Monster Rancher:

List of Monster Rancher Games Finished: (PSX + PS2)

Monster Rancher 1

Monster Rancher 2

Monster Rancher Card Battle

Monster Rancher Evo

Monster Rancher 3

Monster Rancher 4

Overview: the gameplay for this game is what it takes on why i chose it over the 2 popular games / animes around. as much for graphics, it's quite decent for a PSX 3d back in the 90's.

Pros:

1. a much more complex real time breeding than Digimon. In Monster Rancher, time passes by in WEEKS, MONTHS and YEARS. you can have a monster which differs in your choice.. (can be a dragon, a tiger or a dino and possibly can have a lifespan of up to 5 years depending on how you raise it.)

- lifespan usually decrease if ever you tame the monster not well such as: scolding it, not giving it's favorite food, and making it stressful works.

- lifespan can be increase by certain things that can be acquired in the game.

- there are 12 months per year, and 4 weeks in a month and 4 different seasons (winter, summer, autumn and fall).

- Monsters die in this game, but still.. you can breed a new monster if ever someone dies, it still have some privilages.

- you have to maximize the loyalty of your monster before you can command them in the battle. monsters will not obey you if your loyalty is too low.

2. as for the battle and stats, Monster rancher still have it's potential than the other 2 popular games.

- you can gain stats in Digimon and Pokemon by leveling them up in battles, as for Monster Rancher.. you have to train them to gain the stats that you need. i.e. you have a tiger monster that you want to have a boost with speed.. if you want speed, train that tiger into "swim" course.. that way, your tiger will spend a "week" to train for that category. as for that, a week will consume the monsters fatigue and after some weeks of training.. your monster will get tired and you have to make it rest.

- as for the battles, you can participate in a tournament of a ranking match (there are total of 10 ranks to be completed in the game.. F, E, D, C, B, A, S, M-4). for starters, you will start for rank f, and you have to train your monsters to the fullest to make it achieve higher ranks (it's the one concept of the game which also the purpose of the game)

- the battle in the game is always 1 on 1.. but since it's in a tourney or tournament type, you have to battle 3 - 7 times in a cup to win, also, the battle style is almost ACTIVE MODE.. which is quite different from Digimon and Pokemon.

- Acquiring tech's in the game is quite challenging since you have to make a monster train for 1 month outside without your advice (1 month = 4 weeks without any commands from the trainer, after a week.. it's a chance if ever your monster will gain techniques)

- There are 6 different stats in the game which is important in developing monsters. each monster have it's own potential in each stats and has some effects in the battlefield (the 6 stats are: Skill, Speed, Power, Int, Endurance, life).

3. competitive battles with your friends. (1 on 1)

4. other than breeding and battles in tournaments, your monster can make adventures in different areas.. the purpose of this is to obtain some good items that can make your monsters much more strong and items that can be used as a ingredient in making rare monsters.

5. Make monsters from other CD's.

6. the gameplay is much more longer than the 2 popular games.. if you really love the game, 100+ years in the game in not a possible achievement.. and still, there are some quest and secrets that can be unlocked in that certain period of time.

7. Build your own farm and stable.

- the effect of this is for training monsters with different sizes, it has also some impact on the lifespan of each monster. in your farm, there is a store where you can find some food things to enhance your breeding style.. as for that, the item in your store can be unlocked by winning ranking tournaments and by passing time to a certain period.

with that, i chose Monster Rancher over the 2.. the gameplay is just to great and very nice.. it's not even boring to play many times because there are alot of secrets that can be done on the game..

well seems that we have an another interesting thread here, though.. my vote will come to Monster Rancher.

still, i will not be biased on this as i will give the list of Pokemon, Digimon and Monster Rancher games that i've finished before i give my reason on why i chose Monster Rancher.

POKEMON

DIGIMON

Monster Rancher:

with that, i chose Monster Rancher over the 2.. the gameplay is just to great and very nice.. it's not even boring to play many times because there are alot of secrets that can be done on the game..

Wow you actually posted your list :)

I've played almost all Pokemon games except for the ones in NDS. In Digimon, I played Rumble Arena and Digimon World 2 & 3 also the Frontier 4 GBA. Monster Rancher, 2 in PSX and GBA.

I always thought monster rancher was quite unique and I played the GBA version (I think it was GBA I know it was a handheld console version) quite a lot. and I enjoyed it. I just found it annoying when a monster I had worked hard on died.

It reminded me a little of a football manager game, but on a smalled scale.

Twas very enjoyable and even had story line to it. Even though it was always based in a ranch.

--------

Digimon

I played the first one on PSX and have very vague memories of it, I remember loving it. Having your Digimon follow you around, and make just that 1 stronger. Later digimons, like the DS generation were different, 3 to a team and so on, were also enjoyable. Again memory fails me on this game series as it was a year ago. So I can't remember how you get the baby digimon and so on.

--------------

Pokemon

Well they have always improved it. Although I feel black and white might have gone a step back, I can't comment on that properly cause I have only been playing for like 2 hours. But I like the HGSS menu that was always on the bottom screen. Starting this feels like I am starting a whole new game that I have never played before.

Over all I would probably say that my fave is either pokemon or digimon. While pokemon always has the same flow it it. Digimon has changed over time. Thats why digimon stays up there on par. I wish it would get the popularity it deserves. I prefered the Digimon tv series over the pokemon series anyway. But that is for another thread I believe.

I have to go with Pokemon, I've been playing the games since the Gold/Silver era and I still find the games engaging (even have Pokemon Black peordered :P). I also admire how the games are structured, how the gameplay appeals to younger players with the main storyline, new Pokemon and whatnot, yet older players who are into competitive play (with all the EV training and breeding for perfect IVs) also fully enjoy them.

I remember playing the first Digimon World for Playstation ages ago and not ever really knowing what to do in order to progress further, but that could very well be due to my lacking gamer skills. XD

This one is harder to chose :( Pokemon would be better if each game wasn't so much like the others.. Reskinned, but overall, the same basic plot and stuff. Digimon has fun games, I especially liked DW3 on the PS.. But Monster rancher's breeding/raising systems were amazing... Waaaah! I can't chose!

Yup I agree. I think for me, Pokemon will win when it comes to handheld games while the battle in consoles will be decided between Digimon or Monster Rancher.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm Pokemon all the way. I started playing way back when... with the Red edition and also got myself the silver edition.

Also, I always felt like Digimon and Monster Rancher were just a spin-offs created to cash in on the hype introduced by Pokemon. So I never really got far into the games though some of my friends loved 'em

This is a hard one for me...pokemon was really fun back in the day but there has been very little evolution in this series in my opinion.

the digimon games were cool in the fact that they were all really different. the con to that is if you liked 1 then 2 might have sucked for you like it did for me.but then 3 was awsome... when it comes to creativity though i rank pokemon dead last. Its a simple designed cash cow which they will keep milking for years to come. you played one pokemon youve played them all

I really like monster rancher cause it was very unique...you felt like a real trainer unlike in pokemon. I liked raising one monster to be the king. but once again each game was very simular.

So i think for me its digimon followed closely by monster rancher followed way in the back by the old unchanged repetitive pokemon.

lol dont hate me i used to love pokemon...it was so cool back when red and blue came out and the best in my opinion was silver and gold which was the pokemon golden age. since then meh it died to me.

digimon ftw for taking what was good bout pokemon and expanding and trying to keep it fresh and monster in second for its cool unique experiance

• 2 weeks later...