Sims 2: Customizing

Louis Le Vau

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*wonders how she missed a Sims 2 thread*

Of course I do. I got hacks for that game up the wazoo. Ever since I started dicking around with SimPE, making custom skintones and eyes genetic, changing shoe noises for the clothes, altering personalities/interests, binning custom hair... There's a lot to do with the game if you know what you're doing. :P

I don't download objects, wallpapers, or floors--everything I download is strictly Body Shop stuff. I don't mind some of the stuff that comes with the game already, but some of it is kind of iffy.

MimeWhite is kind of old hat. I don't think I've seen anything new from him for a while since browsing his profile at MTS2, unless he has been creating stuff and it's Exchange-specific. I remember being enthralled by the long hair mesh he had, but there's better ones out there now.

I try to customize in Body Shop as much as I can, but recently it's become glitched or something and I can't. So I pretty much stick to the exchange. Before, though, I used to attempt to create new stuff. I think the only thing I could ever do right was eye color, though. Oh well; everyone else makes stuff so much better than mine. I'm better off just downloading.

Exchange is gross. It's not the filesharing that bugs me--it's the fact that I can't track down proper artists and obsessively download their new stuff. My bookmarks are stuffed with Sims 2 custom content sites.

Dunno what to say about your glitch. Have you perhaps the new Pets EP? People have been having issues with it. Unless you don't have it, and you're downloading stuff that requires the Pets Body Shop, then that's bad.

Actually, it appeared a few weeks after I installed University just out of the blue, before I even knew HOW to download stuff for Sims.

I have a problem with finding good Sims 2 Fansites that I don't have to pay for. And the decent ones that I do find are in some sort of compressed folder type and I don't have any programs that can extract them. Or so I think. I'm not really sure how to.

Uni shouldn't be giving you a lot of problems. You could do a clean install (back-up your 'hoods if you care) and see if it isn't an installation error. Otherwise, I'd check in with MTS2 (modthesims2.com) and ask for help there.

Are you getting .RARs? Get WinRAR from rarlabs.com. Most creators do it in .RAR format because it's smaller than .ZIP, and others still will use .ZIP to make people who don't want to download WinRAR to shut up. :P

I have plenty I can point you to, but the first place you should definitely check out and pick artists you like is MTS2--most creators there have their own (free) sites.

Pay stuff isn't worth the cash most of the time anyway (I've seen the Peggy pay items myself--lots of gaps at the neck, shoddy animation--if at all--and I almost always end up recolouring them). I would also not recommend going to The Sims Resource (nicknamed The Shit Repository by a group I run about with), since it's a vast paysite, and you'd have to wade through a lot of low-quality items to get to the good stuff.

ETA: By the by, are you okay with hacks? Because my game is laden with them--my favourite place to get them is from MATY (moreawesomethanyou.com). Quality is definitely upheld there, and the forums are one of the most informative places I've ever been to--probably more so than MTS2. They're usually the first to pounce on any issues the game has.

Okay, thanks. I think I'll check out modthesims2.com and see if I can find anything there I like, as well as getting myself WinRAR if that's the file type I've been running into... becasue I honestly can't remember what it is. I'm quite excited now. I may finally get good customs!

As for re-installing University, I'd rather just live without Bodyshop. I've already installed Nightlife and Open for Buisness on top of all that, and the glitch appeared about a year or so ago.

Well, whatever the file type is you're running into, there's a programme to open it. :P

If MTS2 can't help you with your problem with Body Shop, then definitely get some help from MATY--you'll get fewer sheep responses if anything. I really only use Body Shop to check out new custom content before dumping it into my game--very rarely do I make actual Sims. >.>