Signatures Are Getting Too Big.

Here is a link to the rules on signatures as they stand now.

Here are a few pertinent bullet points:

MAXIMUM Size Limit:

Width: 600px

Height: 220px

Your text goes towards the height limit.

It takes a couple seconds to figure out if your signature is too tall. Please fix them or they will be fixed for you and if you don't keep links to your signature images, they might be lost.

A couple pixels too tall isn't going to kill anyone--however, there are some signatures out there that are at least double the maximum 220px.

If your signature image is exactly 220px tall, you do NOT have any room for text or spoilers.

Guess it is a matter of opinion but I was thinking that they have become rather too small, but before I express my opinion why again are images supposed to be this small, do not get me wrong it would be annoying seeing a image of lets say 1000 x 500 but why the need to have signatures this small?

Guess it is a matter of opinion but I was thinking that they have become rather too small, but before I express my opinion why again are images supposed to be this small, do not get me wrong it would be annoying seeing a image of lets say 1000 x 500 but why the need to have signatures this small?

Because it's utterly stupid to have 98% of the page be signatures. The average post is no more than a couple sentences at best. Why should a signature for a post of two sentences be equivalent to the size of 3 paragraphs?

We have always had signature rules similar to this since my very first forum back in 2001. It's actually gotten bigger, not smaller. Which is, somewhat in part to faster internet connections. At the same time though there are still people out there with dial-up.

Yeah I guess you do have a point it has never bothered me when I see multiple signatures but I guess to most it is rather bothersome, so one of the main reasons behind this would be because some people still use dial up.

Lastly what about .gifs, I remember once I had I think a 10MB one so what are the restrictions on them, the rules only state that be mindful to those who have go a slow internet connection but it does not state the maximum allowed size.

I know I sound like a hypocrite (but I have never got any complaints to this date) but the fonts on those rules feel like eye cancer, if possible could they be changed you know make them appealing to look at when reading even though that is not their purpose.

the reason why gifs are frowned upon because of their size is a good number of our forum goers are dialup and a gif will stall the page for an hour while waiting for it to finish so usually gifs are a no no try to keep it something along the size of what a dialup user could handle easily

The fonts are big and bolded because people blatantly ignore rules when they aren't so obvious. They have no excuses if all the pertinent facts are bulleted and simple. They aren't there to look pretty, they're there to inform. If you have any suggestions besides "less eye cancer", I'd be happy to consider.

I can attest to the fact that signatures--and avatars--used to have to be smaller. That's why my previous sets were all only 100px tall and my avatar 100x100.

i dont get what this is about

If you would care to look at the rules, there is a limit on the maximum size that a signature(what is always added to the bottom of your posts) can have. Recently there has been lots of people who have had large signatures, and so this thread was made to educate people and inform them that their signatures were too big. Also, please try to read the above thread before you post :P