The PS3 hacked ???

Manifesto

It's definitely legit and it means exactly what it says, it doesn't just hack the ps3, but cripples the security completely, hell it's not even exactly a hack, some guys were able to discover the code Sony uses to sign there official software and what not, so that means that the community can now be able to sign thier unofficial software so that the ps3 recognizes it as though it came from Sony itself, more or less getting rid of the need for any hack at all, homebrews and stuff can run on official firmware, the same applies for the psp. As to what it means for Sony, well, a simple firmware update won't be able to solve this, so who knows.

yeah, the best part is the keys were locked with a password.. that password was 4. didnt take long for them to brute force it. then they had everything.

Sony is screwed, but can still issue future updates. but Sony's only sure move is to start from scratch now. the systems completely compromised.

Piracy on the ps3 is kind of pointless, since 360 has more games and a better network. I modded mine, so I could access game files. plus running stuff from HD is great, I'm always worried about wear on my systems laser. the dumb thing cost 700 large back in the day and a whole night sleeping on the sidewalk. I'm sure glad sony got bit in the arse for this, they've been robbing features from user gradually as they lost the console war

Sony has actually been adding new features lately. They are even bringing an update to allow custom avatars, which was previously not allowed. The PS3 has all of its data behind one password, but if they update the firmware and change the password and recognizes signature image file (which is possible with just an upgrade to the firmware), they can stop this problem. If people actually utilize this method for the PS3, and Sony finds out about it, there will be no stopping them from arresting everyone that is doing it. When you are online on a PS3, they can monitor all of your activities, if they wanted to. There rarely do it, but they do. If you are caught with something they recognise as illegal, they can arrest you. They even tell you in the license aggreement, that they can monitor your activities over the internet at any time.

wow this is a kind of news that i don't even expect..

i own a ps2, ps3 and a psp.. the modded part about ps3 did not even catch my mind and still i chose it over the 2 consoles wii and x360 because of the 'modded' issue part.

sony is really busted in this one, not only they have spend too much money on developing ps3 but will also not gain anything from it if this 'hack' issue will continue.

it will still depend on the ps3 users as of now if they will resort to piracy or not but i just can't think on how will this impact greatly on the game developers who are still making some games in the ps3.

i just can't think on how will this impact greatly on the game developers who are still making some games in the ps3.

Doesn't seem to really bother companies that make games for the PC.

I plan to try playing a burned game just too see if it works. I still plan to buy real games though. If it works I just might burn all the crappy games like Naughty Bear and movie based games but games like Uncharted 3 or Resistance 3 is a must buy.

Sony has actually been adding new features lately. They are even bringing an update to allow custom avatars, which was previously not allowed. The PS3 has all of its data behind one password, but if they update the firmware and change the password and recognizes signature image file (which is possible with just an upgrade to the firmware), they can stop this problem. If people actually utilize this method for the PS3, and Sony finds out about it, there will be no stopping them from arresting everyone that is doing it. When you are online on a PS3, they can monitor all of your activities, if they wanted to. There rarely do it, but they do. If you are caught with something they recognise as illegal, they can arrest you. They even tell you in the license aggreement, that they can monitor your activities over the internet at any time.

That's what kills me when it comes to doing stuff like this. I used to rip PS games onto blank CD-Rs out of sheer boredom when I used to rent video games. Now I just don't bother with it anymore considering how many cup coasters I have; as well as money and time spent doing all of it.

In a way, here in the U.S. it feels like an invasion of our rights but heh; it's an international thing so they're kind of moot.

Yes it's 100% legit there is now custom firmware for 3.55 and 3.41 and geohot has made a jailbreak for the cfw and the ofw. My PS3 is running on 1.3v of custom frimware i will be updateing to a newer and better version soon. It is also jailbroken to run .pkg files.

also the hackers is messing with firmware 3.55 so soon we'll be able to play any game on the new firmware and play psn.

No this was not the point of the jailbreak no offense but you people that wanna rip games off are the cause of all this to get fixed. A jail broken PS3 device was built to run home brew software not break copyright laws....

Lie's as we all know the iphone jailbreaking is legal so, why can't a PS3 be. What is legal is backing up a ps3 game that is not yours and no they can't tell the difference between the software because it's be singed.. But they can find you out if u borrow a freinds game back it up then play it at the same time as you they can see that 2 different people are playing the same copy of a game meaning they can ban u within hours...

yep its official geohot and fail0verflow (the ps3 hackers) have been sued. I saw omega posting what were supposedly ps3 master keys last night daring sony to go for him. we'll see how this all goes over. I doubt the EFF who rallied for the legitimacy of the iphone jailbreak will sit idly by

yep its official geohot and fail0verflow (the ps3 hackers) have been sued. I saw omega posting what were supposedly ps3 master keys last night daring sony to go for him. we'll see how this all goes over. I doubt the EFF who rallied for the legitimacy of the iphone jailbreak will sit idly by

Yeah, they're being sued. But you need to look at the bigger issue here. Do you really think SONY is as upset about this as people think they are? The PS3 console sales have increased a LOT since the scene started. (With the release of the PSJailbreak). What's happening here is game developers pushing sony to do something. "Fix this or we're gone."

They're also trying to bring up extortion charges on geohot because he tried to extort a job out of sony. Anyone keeping up on the scene would know he said, "Call me if you want your next system to be secure." (or something very very similar to that). That's hardly extortion.

Apple didn't win, Sony won't win.

What's happening here is game developers pushing sony to do something. "Fix this or we're gone."

yeah that won't work. They'll just move to that console that isn't possible to modify. Wait. What was that console called again? Oh yeah! It doesn't exist! They'll just have to make their own console then... lol good luck you hopeless game devs. Good luck sony as well...