PCSX2 : does it work?

Nero D. Ace

over the past few years, i've heard of this emulator and how it can play PS2 games on the internet.

i downloaded it once but couldn't make head or tail of what to do.

i checked some FAQs and they were completely useless, telling me to start by loading up a BIOS.

I don't know how to load a frigging BIOS!! put it in the damn faq!! the reason people are reading your FAQ is cuz they're NOOBS!!!

... sorry, i got a bit carried away.

can anyone tell me if this thing actually works or now and how to set it up if it does?

Well, yes it actually works, but unless you've got a freakin beast computer, you won't get much fps out of it and as for the bios, you download one, put it in the bios folder I believe and select it in the setup wizard, then there's all the other plugins you have to get as well, I can't really remember everything since I haven't used it in a while, but you're better of looking for a download with all the plugins and the bios included if you can find one, then you have to experiment with each one to find what works best with your computer and like I said, it isn't really worth it if you got a crappy system.

Yeah it works i know how to set it up too. Let me know if you need the info. It works fine on one of my computers. But on my slower computer it just gets errors. It really needs some good processing. which is sad because ps2 has been out how long? Imagine how long it will be before a good ps3 emulator will up and running lol.

• 3 weeks later...

First you need to find a bios or load one from your own PS2. Let's just say finding one is a bit easier. Then you download all of the graphics/sound/other plugins necessary. I believe Pete's site has most if not all of the plugins you'll need, or maybe I'm thinking of ps1 plugins.... Then put them in their respective folders. The BIOS in the Bios folder and the plugins in the plugin folder. Then go to the drop down menu at the top and open the configure wizard. Select the plugins and BIOS you want to use from there. Then configure all of those to run how you want them to. Then click done or apply or whatever at the bottom. Test a known working game and if you get errors try to tinker with the plugins until you get it right.

As for does it work, yeah for the most part. Even games I thought wouldn't be supported for a while still, like makai kingdom.

I don't mean to be rude or anything but the whole process is pretty straight forward. I mean they do label the folders 'BIOS' and 'Plugins', they're not trying to trick you :P

It works... but it doesn't render the games properly... I even managed to get it to play ps2 games directly from my computers dvd drive. However, I was unable to get it to load certain textures and for some reason on just about every game I tried the eyes of almost every character didn't show up at all XD... kind of creepy :P.

The only game I was able to get to work properly was Soul Calibur 2... and even then the game would artifact from time to time.

This was on my previous gaming rig... Intel core 2 quad Q6600, Nvidia 9800 GTX, 4GB DDR2 ram...

the reason for that is the type of graphics plugin that u use,try difirent ones till u find the one that works best for u,but remember the beter the quality the more resources it wants

Oddly enough every graphics plugin I tried seemed to have its own problem, so I gave up on trying to emulate the ps2 :\... From what I've heard... using the dx10 option helps massively. I'll be building a core i7 computer soon and will definitely be testing this out again.

As far as resources go... the computer I was using at the time was more than powerful enough to handle it.

• 4 weeks later...

i did manage to install it and make it work in my system.. but the only thing that i could suggest is that you should have a powerful PC.. i did manage to try some games (Mana Khemia II, Ar Tonelico I, Super Robot Taisen Z, Super Robot Taisen OG and Resident Evil 4) which is not even considered a high end 3d game and what i only get is about 20 - 50 fps at best (probably at movie's or some scenes).. the fps will drop below 20 fps when you are actually playing the game.

i can't even imagine on what will happen back there if i tried to play games like FF-X.. geez, maybe my system crashed and had a break down =)

considering the plugins to use, i also use the minimum settings to run it at low.. if i remember correctly i still have the proper PCSX2 emulator program here with the necessary video, sound, controller plugins.. and also a text document on how to install it properly which i get from www.ngemu.com

and after i realize the it will only destroy my system (a laptop since i work overseas), i just uninstall it and craved in my psp =(