Winter 2024 Anime Season

Koby

☃️ Winter Anime 2024 🎄

AniChart | MAL Chart | AniDB Chart

Almost every season I make this thread and narrow down my own watch list after reading up about every show, seeing what studio is behind them, what staff is working on them, watching a preview, and reading others thoughts on the matter. Below you can see what I've narrowed down for my personal viewing this season. Let me know what you're watching!

Continuing:

• Frieren: Beyond Journey's End
  • Rurouni Kenshin (2023)
  • Shangri-La Frontier
  • The Apothecary Diaries (this one is likely on the chopping block though)

Sequels:

• Blue Exorcist S3
  • The Fire Hunter S2 (still need to watch S1 though)

New Series Potentially Watching:

• Ishura
  • Metallic Rouge
  • Sengoku Youko
  • Solo Leveling (this is probably the most hyped and talked about show this season)
  • The Unwanted Undead Adventurer (really on the fence with this one, gonna give it a few episodes though)
  • The Witch and the Beast

• Like 2

• Koby pinned this topic

Kenshin isn't going to be airing in Winter.

For me

Continuing: (Haven't watched any of these shows yet)

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End

The Apothecary Diaries

Undead Unluck

Sequels:

Mashle: Magic and Muscles Season 2

Classroom of the Elite III (Need to watch S2)

The Dangers in My Heart Season 2 (Need to watch S1)

Blue Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati Saga

Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season

New Series Potentially Watching

Solo Leveling (I did read the webtoon)

Chained Soldier (Same mangaka as Akame ga Kill, so semi-interested)

Dead Dead Demons Dededede Destruction

Just now, Ashven288 said:

Kenshin isn't going to be airing in Winter.

It's true it's not a Winter show, but I'll still be watching it this season as the second half of the dub will be streamed on Crunchyroll. So I felt it worth noting I'd be watching it. The dub is a whole season behind unfortunately. I'll remove it from my listing if you feel I should though.

On 12/25/2023 at 3:01 PM, Arisien said:

Didn't even notice Ishura when I was looking through the season list, will definitely be giving it a try.

Ishura looks like it could be good. It's got Kaji Yuuki voicing one of the main characters, who has voiced other major shounen roles like Todoroki from My Hero Academia, Miwa from Blue Exorcist, Meliodas from Seven Deadly Sins, Eren from Attack on Titan, Mikumo from World Trigger, Hyunckel from Dragon Quest, among many others. Main caveat is that this heralds from an ongoing light novel series with no guarantee of more than a single cour run (and with Passione behind it, it seems this is even more likely to happen) – which often leads to rushing, chopping, and possibly an anime original ending.

Studio Passione hasn't done a lot of shows that I've enjoyed. Looking through their resume I liked Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers but that was clearly a fairly low budget production and they abandoned it after one season. The Island of Giant Insects movie was alright, but nothing to really write home about. And other than that there isn't much else to really talk about that I've watched. The biggest thing though is they're doing the upcoming remake of Spice and Wolf which is one of my favorites. It's due sometime in 2024 and I hope they manage to do it justice.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Zemekis said:

Huh....none of these were on my radar. I think I'll check out Blue Exorcist S3, though. I liked the first two, but preferred the manga.

Oh shoot.. I am exactly missing out Season 2 and the English Dub was already out. Unsure what happened there. Only saw the first season so far.

Just now, Green Dragoon said:

Oh shoot.. I am exactly missing out Season 2 and the English Dub was already out. Unsure what happened there. Only saw the first season so far.

Oh boy, Season 2 was all the way back in 2017.

Also, not sure if you know this or remember this... but season 1 ended with an anime original filler arc to close out the story. Season 2 ignores that entire arc and picks up where episode 17 ended in Season 1.

Just now, Koby said:

Oh boy, Season 2 was all the way back in 2017.

Also, not sure if you know this or remember this... but season 1 ended with an anime original filler arc to close out the story. Season 2 ignores that entire arc and picks up where episode 17 ended in Season 1.

l-o-l, phew! I was about to say. I'm still good. Thinking I would have it's fun experience in some point.

• 4 weeks later...

Halfway through the season!

Ishura

Spoiler

Story has had a lot of exposition so far, though the threads woven in each episode seem to be coming together in the latest episode. Each of the first 5 episodes was a separate set of character introductions and worldbuilding, so I feel their short length was at a detriment to this type of storytelling. There wasn't much time to explore the characters motives and for rising action before moving on to the next episode. I did appreciate the short callbacks to previously established characters/factions. Despite the slow pace so far, EP6 has left interested to see how the storylines will be joined together in the second half of the season so I will be continuing it.

Witch and the Beast

Still on PTW. Any thoughts?

I Alone Level Up

I read the webtoon a while back mostly for the art, and the animation doesn't disappoint. Kind of lost interest throughout the progression of the webtoon but the start hooked me in and has been faithfully adapted so far. Will be continuing.

Been watching Frieren since last season (though a couple episodes behind), and I recently found out it's been the highest rated series on MAL for a while now despite it still airing.