The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV

Koby

BmLUsh9.png

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV is a role-playing video game developed by Nihon Falcom. A part of the long-running The Legend of Heroes series and a direct sequel to The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III. The game was released for the PlayStation 4 in Japan in September 2018 and is scheduled for a worldwide release in Q4 2020. Ports for Nintendo Switch and Microsoft Windows are scheduled for release in 2021.

The game plays very similarly to Trails of Cold Steel III as a traditional JRPG with turn-based battles, bringing back features such as the Order system, Orbment system, mini-games and battle commands being mapped to specific buttons rather than various menus. Each character from the new Class VII in the game has new, unique S-Craft techniques in combat. Additionally, characters will be able to utilize Lost Arts which are significantly more powerful than regular Arts but expend a full EP gauge.

It features a large number of returning characters from the Trails in the Sky trilogy, the Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki duology, and the previous titles in the Trails of Cold Steel quadrilogy.

Announcement Trailer:

Story Trailer:

• Like 1

This is where Koby and I kinda diverged. I started playing Trails in the Sky, he started with Trails of Cold Steel. Technically, I followed the in-game timelines, if I'm not mistaken. I'm probably not as well-versed in the whole timeline as Koby is though.

I do know that the timelines do intertwine between each different series.

7 hours ago, IkarosBD said:

This is where Koby and I kinda diverged. I started playing Trails in the Sky, he started with Trails of Cold Steel. Technically, I followed the in-game timelines, if I'm not mistaken. I'm probably not as well-versed in the whole timeline as Koby is though.

I do know that the timelines do intertwine between each different series.

Yeah, the timeline gets a bit muffled since games somewhat overlap in terms of chronology. Sky 1 happens, then Sky 2... but after that.... Sky 3, Zero, and Cold Steel 1 are all taking place within the same time frame more or less. With Azure starting near the end of Cold Steel 1 and continuing into Cold Steel 2. Then Cold Steel 2 has an arc related to Crossbell right before the final chapter called Divertissement.

But really that just makes it sound more confusing than it really is. You can safely start with any of the arcs: Liberl (Sky), Crossbell (Zero/Azure), or Erebonia (Cold Steel) and the games will explain everything you need to know in order to enjoy that arc.

However if you did want to play the games in chronological order with the least amount of spoilers... I'd recommend Sky 1 -> Sky 2 -> Sky 3 -> Cold Steel 1 -> Cold Steel 2, stop at Divertissement chapter -> Zero -> Azure -> finish Cold Steel 2 -> Cold Steel 3 -> Cold Steel 4 -> Future Games.

But again, playing every arc isn't a requirement to enjoy individual arcs.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unrelated to the English release of course, but it was just announced:

Clouded Leopard Entertainment is set to release Sen no Kiseki Kai and Sen no Kiseki II Kai on Nintendo Switch in Summer 2021.

CLE is also set to release Korean (and presumably Chinese?) versions of Sen no Kiseki III and IV in Summer 2021.

Zero no Kiseki Kai and Ao no Kiseki Kai ARE ALSO set to be released on Nintendo Switch by CLE. Zero launches February 18th, 2021 and Ao launches April 22nd, 2021.

EldoDlNU4AAamji.png

On 10/27/2020 at 2:21 PM, CardGames said:

Does anyone know if this was delayed last minute or something? Because it's past 3 p.m. EST and the Gamestop I pre-ordered it at is claiming they've still yet to get their shipment in for this.

Just issues happening with the release. NISA points the finger at Sony and Sony points it at NISA, so no one knows who is really at fault.

Should be sorted now though.

• 5 months later...
Patch 1.1 Release Notes
Optimization, bug fixes, and a new feature

NPbAP3a.png

Hi everyone,

Hopefully you are enjoying Trails of Cold Steel IV!

We have created a new version which fixes various issues pointed out by the community. Here is a list of changes:

• Reduce the CPU usage of several threads, particularly in audio playback. These changes can greatly reduce overall CPU usage in some situations.
  • Introduce additional caching to decrease load times, especially when revisiting previous maps and after battles. This will be particularly effective for longer play sessions.
  • Fix save game thumbnails sporadically not showing up under specific circumstances.
  • Adjust overall loading behavior to be closer to Trails of Cold Steel 3, in order to mitigate issues on some systems.
  • Prevent the game from taking abnormally long to close on some systems.
  • Make left joystick and WASD (or alternative mapping) behavior consistent across all menus.
  • Fix button re-mapping involving X and O buttons along with displayed button prompts.
  • Fix some remaining minor translation issues in game and launcher
  • New Feature: Add configuration tool option to disable dynamic button prompt switching (primarily for Steam Controller users)
Note: If you still see intermittent stuttering issues on systems with generally good performance, they might be shader cache related. Please look here for instructions on how to resolve them.

While we expect this patch to improve the situations for all users, with the great variety of hardware and software configurations available on PC this is not always guaranteed in all circumstances. As such, you can return to the release version of the game by selecting the public "version_102" branch in Steam.

Patch 1.1.1 Release Notes
A Hotfix for Audio and Button Prompts

While it is great to hear that yesterday's 1.1 patch improved the game experience for a lot of people, it also introduced an audio regression for some. Also, the feature to disable dynamic button prompts was not fully working as expected.

This version 1.1.1 hotfix should resolve these issues. Here is a list of changes since 1.1:

• Rewrite audio backend processing to eliminate artifacts and further improve performance.
  • Fix the "disable dynamic button prompt" feature not actually solving the performance issues it was designed to solve.

Note: If you still see intermittent stuttering issues on systems with generally good performance, they might be shader cache related. Please look here for instructions on how to resolve them.

While we expect this patch to improve the situations for all users, with the great variety of hardware and software configurations available on PC this is not always guaranteed in all circumstances (as we saw with 1.1). As such, you can return to the release version of the game by selecting the public "version_102" branch in Steam, and to 1.1 by selecting the "version_110" branch.

• Like 1

Patch 1.2 Release Notes
Some new Features and Bug Fixes

We have fixed some reported bugs and also introduced two new features requested by fans. Here is a list of changes:

• Fix a potential crash issue in very specific situations with some combinations of camera angles and field of view options
  • Fix some more minor translation and typography issues
  • New Feature: Add an option to disable the motion blur effect while running
  • New Feature: Add the ability to select a specific target refresh rate in the launcher, instead of always defaulting to the highest available
  • Improve crash dump generation to enable us to provide better support; crash dumps are stored in the windows temporary files folder ("%TEMP%/ToCS4") so as not to permanently occupy storage space

While we expect this patch to improve the situations for all users, with the great variety of hardware and software configurations available on PC this is not always guaranteed in all circumstances. As such, you can return to previous versions of the game by selecting the any of the public "version_*" branches on Steam.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...