Dell OptiPlex 9010 issue

dn_angel000

I had recently bought a Dell Optiplex 9010 SFF off ebay with no operating system installed but when I boot it up there's no Dell logo splash screen like usual to enter in the BIOS. I even took out a 512GB SSD with Windows 10 installed and put it in the 9010 and same problem!

Specs:

Intel Core i7 3770

4GB 1600MHz RAM

500GB HDD

3 hours ago, NeutralHatred said:

Then something else is busted. If you're getting no Dell splash screen nor able to enter the BIOS, there is a hardware issue with the computer. I can't do much over a forum thread. You might have been ripped off.

Inspecting the RAM to check if it were ECC Buffered I noticed that 1 stick says 2GB 1Rx8 10600U-9-10-A0 and the other says 2GB 1Rx8 10600U-9-11-A1 if that matters!! lol

1 hour ago, dn_angel000 said:

Inspecting the RAM to check if it were ECC Buffered I noticed that 1 stick says 2GB 1Rx8 10600U-9-10-A0 and the other says 2GB 1Rx8 10600U-9-11-A1 if that matters!! lol

It doesn't. It is just the naming scheme of the manufacturer. They are 2GB sticks of DDR3 @ 1333MHz.

Edited by NeutralHatred

11 hours ago, dn_angel000 said:

Try booting the system using 1 RAM stick installed at a time? Also if the motherboard does not support Buffered/Unbuffered RAM, it's not going to boot depending on the stick installed. Have you also reseated the CPU? I assume this was shipped to you, so it may have had an effect on both of these parts.

Your issue could be as simple as having your monitor plugged into an "inactive" video port (which video port is active is set in the BIOS.)

Here's the rear of an Optiplex 9010 SFF

plex_9010_usff_rear.JPG

16 is the VGA connector

17 are the DP Connectors (which are not the same thing as HDMI)

If your monitor supports both VGA and DP, try swapping it to one of the other video ports to see if you get a display.

If that doesn't help...

The power button LED on the front is a diagnostic indicator that blinks a pattern if it detects a failure.

The blinking pattern is 2 or 3 amber blinks followed by a short pause then up to 7 blinks followed by a long pause which repeats (i.e. 2 amber blinks, a short pause, 3 amber blinks, a long pause,  repeats.)

The blink codes are:

2 x 1 - system board failure
2 x 2 - system board, PSU or PSU cabling failure
2 x 3 - system board, memory or CPU failure
2 x 4 - coin-cell battery failure
2 x 5 - corrupt BIOS
2 x 6 - CPU configuration failure or CPU failure
2 x 7 - memory modules are detected, but a memory failure
3 x 1 - possible peripheral card or system board failure
3 x 2 - possible USB failure
3 x 3 - no memory modules are detected
3 x 4 - possible system board error
3 x 5 - memory modules are detected, but a memory configuration or compatibility error
3 x 6 - possible system board resource and/or hardware failure
3 x 7 - some other failure (message will display on screen)

If the indicator doesn't show a diagnostic code, the built-in speaker may emit a series of "beep" codes (you'll need to look those up online to see what they mean.)

Finally, you could try a BIOS Factory Reset

1. Turn off the computer and disconnect the power cable from the electrical outlet.
  2. Remove the computer cover.
  3. Locate the 2-pin password connector (PSWD) on the system board.
  4. Locate the 2-pin CMOS jumper (RTCRST) on the system board.
  5. Move the 2-pin jumper plug from the password jumper pins to the CMOS jumper pins.
  6. Plug in AC power to the system and wait ten seconds for the CMOS to clear.
  7. Move the 2-pin jumper plug back to the password jumper.
  8. Replace the computer cover.
  9. Connect your computer and devices to electrical outlets and turn them on.

Good luck!

Edited by Bal60
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

Try booting the system using 1 RAM stick installed at a time? Also if the motherboard does not support Buffered/Unbuffered RAM, it's not going to boot depending on the stick installed. Have you also reseated the CPU? I assume this was shipped to you, so it may have had an effect on both of these parts.

I already tried booting with 1 RAM stick installed and same prob.

@Bal60 When I press the power button I get just 1 amber light show up then a white light art the system turns on!

My TV that I have this hooked up to just has HDMI so I bought an HDMI to Displayport adapter off Amazon.

On 5/13/2019 at 2:19 PM, dn_angel000 said:

I already tried booting with 1 RAM stick installed and same prob.

@Bal60 When I press the power button I get just 1 amber light show up then a white light art the system turns on!

My TV that I have this hooked up to just has HDMI so I bought an HDMI to Displayport adapter off Amazon.

Ok, a white power LED & no beep codes means the BIT (Built In Test) detected no errors and the BIOS successfully started up so all the PC components should be good.

The reason you're not getting a screen display is because the video port you're plugged into isn't active (note, the BIOS "defaults" to VGA output on first boot.)

I'd suggest finding someone who can loan you a VGA monitor so you can at least get to the BIOS setup screen and proceed from there to see if you can get the DP ports working.

9 hours ago, Bal60 said:

Ok, a white power LED & no beep codes means the BIT (Built In Test) detected no errors and the BIOS successfully started up so all the PC components should be good.

The reason you're not getting a screen display is because the video port you're plugged into isn't active (note, the BIOS "defaults" to VGA output on first boot.)

I'd suggest finding someone who can loan you a VGA monitor so you can at least get to the BIOS setup screen and proceed from there to see if you can get the DP ports working.

That is so weird, anyway I just bought a VGA to HDMI cable off Amazon and should get here tomorrow!! lol