Devil May Cry 5 (PC/PS4/XBONE) [2019]

Koby

Years have passed since the events of Devil May Cry 4, and a lot has happened. Young demon hunter Nero has lost his Devil Bringer demon arm… but hey! He's now heading his own branch of the demon-hunting business Devil May Cry. To make up for that lost arm, and keep his style rankings up, he's enlisted the help of expert craftswoman Nico, a brand new character in the series, to lend a hand and build different types of prosthetic arms that unlock new badass combat abilities and devastating powers.

So the time line had pretty much always been:
3 -> 1 -> 4 -> 2
and people were unsure if 5 would be before or after 2...

I've read somewhere that would seem to indicate that one of the devs indicated in an interview that parts of 2 were retconned so that it happens much earlier in the timeline of events by moving 2 in the timeline to have happened before 4 instead of many years/decades later and that 5 takes place shortly after 4.

If this is true or not, I cannot confirm. I don't speak Japanese so have to rely on translations of the interview and I haven't even seen where the interview was posted. The only thing I've seen is people suggest that it did happen...

If anyone else has heard of such a thing or has any real source of where this came from, I'd love to hear more about it.

• Like 2

• Koby changed the title to Devil May Cry 5 (PC/PS4/XBONE) [2019]

The story is pure nonsense to me and I love it. I am curious where it all fits in. I'm pretty bummed about that Final Story trailer though, it kind of spoiled some stuff I didn't want to know going in even though I had suspicions of. 

And because I couldn't resist, I started Vergil playthrough on DMC3 over the weekend. He's a lot of fun. Although not having airhike makes getting some things a little more difficult especially since directions in the air can be difficult with Trick Up. Beowulf tends to give me issues at times, he's just such a damage sponge, evading some of his aoe attacks become an issue with Dante. With Vergil I wiped the floor with him. He's such a powerhouse. 

edit: I beat the game with Vergil last night. I thought I would breeze through the final form of Vergil (Vante?), I was cocky and got destroyed, I had to slow down and be more methodical about my attacks. After that I set off on my first adventure into the Bloody Palace. I made it to mid 7000's where I came upon 3 Hell Vanguards and they got me. I tried to brute force it and ended up getting teleport slashed into oblivion, seriously I got comboed by two of them with 5 hits. It took well over half of my health. 

Edited by splintersan

DMC5 review embargo has been lifted and it's getting great reviews. I'm ignoring all the spoilers but everything I've seen is very promising. Steam Pre--Load is live, download size is 30.5gb. I had intended on playing all Saturday but I do some subcontracting work for a friend once a month and I've been summoned on Saturday so I will be playing way too late on Friday evening and picking back up Saturday evening. I am extremely excited. I may go play some Bloody Palace on DMC4 tonight to warm up a little. 

I've been playing DmC a little here in there since December, but was kind of meaning to get to DMC4 to finish it up before DMC5. Doesn't look like that'll happen now. DMC4 is the only one of the mainline DMC's I haven't completed. Just never really got into it as I wasn't a fan of Nero and whatnot.

Probably not going to check out the reviews or gameplay videos for a bit, but then I haven't pre-ordered DMC5 so unsure when I'll actually get to it at this current time. I have so many other titles I want to get to, lol. Bought Dragon Quest XI back during Black Friday and yet haven't gotten to it either. Then there is Kingdom Hearts 3 I need to buy, but I still wanna finish up some of the KH side-games before hand too.

I highly recommend playing through DMC4 even if you just want to put on easy to breeze through it. While the story is not great the combat is fantastic. I hated Nero when I first played DMC4 when it came out years ago but upon revisiting it a few months ago he grew on me and I really enjoyed his change in combat with Devil Bringer and Red Queen. I also enjoy his Devil Trigger which is more of a Stand  as opposed to Dante/Vergils transformations. I would say try to do it before you tackle KH3 or DQXI as those are both long games. DMC4 can be completed in less than 10 hours. Plus it will introduce you to the new style switching Dante which makes him way more complicated than previous games. 

I unfortunately had to work all weekend so I did not really get much time to play DMC5, I am 7 missions in and loving so far. V I was worried about but he fits right in personality wise and combat. His combat is strange but very satisfying. I feel like it doesn't always attack when I want it to but pretty quickly resolves itself. I actually obtained my first SSS in mission with V, while Nero I kept getting stuck at SS. The game looks and plays beautifully on PC. rock solid 60fps with everything on ultra. If you don't like depth of field, there is no in menu option for this but you can go into the .ini file and turn it off (it's actually called depthoffiled in the file, lol). Nero feels great, he's a bit heavier than his 4 version but that just makes him feel like a different character to Dante rather than a clone with tweaks. One thing I absolutely love is the fact that Itsuno actually gave us a training area, now I can go in and practice my EX-Max timing (which I'm terrible at), I can get EX-Act pretty regularly but I need to get my timing down for Max. So far it's everything I wanted out of it. Also Nico is awesome, I love her. 

10 minutes ago, splintersan said:

That's a bit of a spoiler I would tag it as such. I haven't been that far but there is a similar scene with another character before that, I wonder if Sony censored that scene too. Also seems very strange that Sony would sensor that when they have a fucking mini game in one of the God of War games. 

Kind of obvious that showcasing a censored segment of the game could possibly contain spoilers I suppose. Anyhow put it inside the spoiler tag.

2 minutes ago, Koby said:

Kind of obvious that showcasing a censored segment of the game could possibly contain spoilers I suppose. Anyhow put it inside the spoiler tag.

Yeah but the screen cap they used showcasing the differences is the spoiler.

For any one who hasn't played the game the image doesn't mean anything but if you are currently playing the game and have completed mission 3 then it's a big spoiler. I had no idea that Trish was going to be a boss and trapped in a monster body, Lady was as the second boss, now I know that the same fate awaits Trish, I just haven't got there yet. So it spoiled that aspect for me. Not a bit deal but it should be spoiler tagged IMO. I would have preferred not knowing that.

Edited by splintersan

I beat the game over the weekend. I really loved it. I then farmed 11 million orbs to unlock all the skills (I'm not kidding here, there is a taunt for each character that costs 3 million orbs). Funny thing is that it only took me a few hours to get that many orbs. I then went through Human mode to get the remaining Secret Missions, Purple and Blue Orb Fragments. I did pretty well on my first time through the game I missed 3 secret missions, 3 purple orb and 4 blue orbs fragments. I am now going through Son of Sparda mode and I'm having a blast. I actually got my ass kicked on the first level with Dante, I was being way too cocky and thought I could just muscle my way through a group of enemies, nope they killed me very fast. I'm trying to learn my timing for Royal Guard so I can kill Furies more consistently, they will ruin your day fast. 

• 1 year later...