AMC Executives Confirm New ‘Walking Dead’ Spinoff In The Works

Koby

1te7z0m.jpgA new spinoff of The Walking Dead is in the works, AMC Networks confirmed during its quarterly earnings call with Wall Street analysts.

Asked to elaborate on CEO Josh Sapan’s mention of a third zombie outing, COO Ed Carroll said the spinoff is in “active development.” He declined to offer many more specifics, including whether it would fall under an existing distribution agreement with Hulu.

“We’re not at a stage where we’ll be announcing its plans to premiere,” Carroll said. “But we have hired creative people that have pitched story outlines. We feel very good about the development of that series. We’re not in a position to talk about partnerships in terms of other territories or ancillary windows, other than that there’s a healthy appetite for it and we’ve had a number of conversations with a lot of players in the space.”

A new TWD series comes as the mother-ship show has seen a slew of departures such as Andrew Lincoln and Lauren Cohan and series-low ratings in its ninth season. Additionally, as more crossovers are in the works with spinoff Fear the Walking Dead, Lincoln is set for a series of TWD movies and Black Panther star Danai Gurira will be easing down her TWD presence in the show’s upcoming 10th season.

Carroll asserted that the inevitable fade of the original show should not obscure its status as the No. 1 series on cable and the No. 2 drama on TV behind NBC’s This is Us.

“We are well aware that when a show has been around for nine years, you would expect viewership to be declining, but I think we’ve managed that and managed that well,” Carroll said. “When The Walking Dead is no longer part of the channel, I think that will have more of an impact on revenue than on [income] because generally expenses go up as the seasons continue and viewership declines. That’s just a general pattern with any show that’s been around as long as The Walking Dead has.”

The company’s fourth-quarter results beat Wall Street estimates, with adjusted earnings per share of $1.92 clearing the bar by 8 cents and revenue of $773 million coming in more than $15 million above analyst expectations.

Please, please, please don't be another sjw POS series. TWD is getting destroyed because of it, and I haven't watched FTWD since mid season 2 because I was rooting for the zombies, hated the main characters that much.

A 50 episode series based solely on the 1st year of the outbreak would be perfect. 3 series based on the 1st year of the outbreak would be better, one based in China or India, because who doesn't want to see 1,000,000,000 zombies devouring everything in their path.

Honestly, one of the biggest issues with the franchise as a whole is that the zombies never seem to be much of a threat, much less the main threat. They're just "extras" in the soap opera.

Other issues is the lack of interesting characters to root for. Most of the favorites have died off in TWD, but they've been replaced by a bunch of nobodies that no one cares about because the show either makes us dislike them for being the stupidest people in the world that you wonder how they even made it this far to the point you're rooting for the zombies to take them out... But since the zombies aren't a threat, it's the other people that take people out... and so many worthless characters seem to have plot armor keeping them alive. The shows need to be willing to kill off anyone at any time, bring in new cast members that people can root for, and get back to the basics of showcasing the zombies as a threat.

I guess there really is only so much you can do with slow moving zombies that people can easily just walk around. I suppose that was one thing that made World War Z interesting (sadly the second film was canceled), it had zombies that would charge at you at full speed and used their numbers to get to places they otherwise wouldn't be able to, like over Trump Wall (lol), etc.

Oh no !! please stop.

Watched all eight seasons and for some reason not that interested in a season 9. 

And FTWD .. thank God that ended.

Honestly, one of the biggest issues with the franchise as a whole is that the zombies never seem to be much of a threat, much less the main threat. They're just "extras" in the soap opera.

What made the franchise so good in the beginning was focusing on the human factor and threat.

You can do only so much with zombies as a main threat. and after nine seasons, I havent seen season 9, we learned that the human threat and factor is much more but also limited too.

So it needs to find the sweet spot and balance between threats.

Like I said, I have lost a bit of interest, I will be watching season 9 but its not in my top of the list anymore.

Edited by emjay911

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Duckgoose said:

Just found out the new spin-off will revolve around 2 female leaders...sjw trash. Won't be watching it. On a good note though, a movie is being made starring Rick.

So if a show stars a woman it automatically must be sjw trash?