Producer Matt Reeves on His "Noir Batman"

Koby

67f79wU.jpgThe L.A.-reared filmmaker opens up about his forthcoming take on the Caped Crusader: "It's more Batman in his detective mode than we've seen in the films."

On a crisp January afternoon, the L.A.-reared filmmaker opened up — his interview has been condensed and edited for clarity — about what's really happening on The Batman (save Ben Affleck's status, on which Reeves is staying mum).

So, Batman. Tell us about your take.

It's very much a point of view-driven, noir Batman tale. It's told very squarely on his shoulders, and I hope it's going to be a story that will be thrilling but also emotional. It's more Batman in his detective mode than we've seen in the films. The comics have a history of that. He's supposed to be the world's greatest detective, and that's not necessarily been a part of what the movies have been. I'd love this to be one where when we go on that journey of tracking down the criminals and trying to solve a crime, it's going to allow his character to have an arc so that he can go through a transformation.

Do you have a title yet?

(Laughs.) Right now it’s called The Batman. What it will be called ultimately, I don’t know. 

Have you begun the casting process? 

There will be a Rogues Gallery. The casting process will begin shortly. We're starting to put together our battle plan. I'm doing another pass on the script and we'll begin some long-lead stuff to start developing conceptual things. 

What's your goal as far as a release date?

We haven't been dated. I wouldn't commit to this, but we're thinking the movie would probably be for 2021, late spring or summer. Warner Bros. has been incredibly supportive and given me a lot of time and shared the same passion that I do for this story.

How involved are you with the other films in the DC universe, be it Harley Quinn or Batgirl?

Right now, I'm involved in The Batman. What it will be called ultimately, I don't know. Aquaman is going to be very different from the Todd Phillips Joker movie, and that's going to be different from Shazam and Harley Quinn. Warners believes they don't have to try to develop a giant slate that has to have all the plans for how it's going to connect. What they need to try and do is make good movies with these characters.

Final question: If you could spend a day shadowing anyone in the industry, who would you pick?  

Alfonso Cuaron. I’d love to be a fly on the wall to watch how his shots develop.

• Like 2