'Mighty Ducks' TV Series in the Works

Koby

The Mighty Ducks franchise may be coming to the small screen. ABC Signature Studios is in early development for a series based on the 1990s dramedy about a youth hockey team. A network is not yet attached.

H0INEqM.jpg

ABC Signature head Tracy Underwood, always looking to identify Disney titles and intellectual property that can appeal to a global audience, put Mighty Ducks in development after being approached by original trilogy screenwriter Steven Brill and original producer Jordan Kerner. Brill will pen the script in-house for ABC Signature. If that comes in well, ABC Signature would package the project with talent and shop it to streamers this year. Brillstein Entertainment's George Heller and Brad Petrigala will, like Brill, be credited as executive producers.

Feature film star Emilio Estevez is not currently attached as a script has not yet been written. What remains unclear is if the potential Mighty Ducks TV series is a sequel or reboot as the logline for the half-hour or hour project is being kept under wraps.

Sources stress that the Mighty Ducks TV show is in its early stages and will not be taken out anytime soon. As for a potential home, insiders note that ABC Signature could take the project out to other broadcast or cable networks in addition to shopping it to streaming platforms. (Another option could be to keep it in-house and set it up on Disney's forthcoming stand-alone SVOD service that will be home to Marvel and Star Wars movies as well as original scripted TV shows based on Star Wars, High School Musical and Monsters, Inc.

The Mighty Ducks was released in 1992 by Walt Disney Pictures. Produced on a budget of $10 million, the Stephen Herek-directed movie starred Estevez as Gordon Bombay, a Minneapolis attorney who winds up coaching a pee-wee hockey team as community service after a drunk-driving arrest. Despite negative reviews from critics, the film went on to become a box-office hit, grossing $50.7 million domestically. That led to two sequels — 1994's D2: The Mighty Ducks (with Estevez) and 1996's D3: The Mighty Ducks, which was built around original film star Josh Jackson's Charlie Conway. They grossed $45.6 million and $22.9 million, respectively, with the success of the first feature inspiring producers Disney to name Anaheim's 1993 NHL expansion team after the franchise.

Should the ABC Signature effort come to fruition, it would be the second time The Mighty Ducks has been explored for the small screen. An animated series was launched in 1996 on ABC and as part of its syndicated programming block The Disney Afternoon. The 26-episode series last aired on Toon Disney in 2004.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OMGosh! said:

I can imagine this will be a series for the upcoming Disney+, might give it a watch if anymore news arrives that can convince me into watching it.

For me, it's really going to depend on who they cast.

I'm just not fond of todays kids actors in the same way I was back then tbh. Mighty Ducks had an excellent cast.

I wonder if they'll bring Emilio back for it. That alone may get me tune in.

• Like 1

I agree, if they can get Emilio then that will definitely get me into giving the series a chance. I feel the same way about current kid actors. I am sure if they ever will follow through with the idea then they are gonna try to put some effort into it. I could be wrong though.

Edited by OMGosh!

The idea I most remember people saying for a potential new Mighty Ducks movie had one of the kids from the original having to coach a new generation of kids (Joshua Jackson's character for instance). They still could do that for this version, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's an actual reboot instead. 

• Like 1