Do you hoard anime ?

redstraw

whats the point hoarding anime like physical media or digital one, whats so fun about it? do you actually plan to re-watch them? so many people actually buy this and that just because them on sale n stuff like that, thinking you will watch it later, but in reality you don't have mental strength to watch them LMAO, why are you playing yourself? just curious how these type of people perceive the world.

I don't 'hoard' anime but I do plan to start archiving some.

Focused on standard tv shows/cartoons archival at the moment. Only just recently started archiving stuff.

Anything I do pick up though, I like/love enough that I do expect myself to rewatch someday or introduce a friend/kid/etc to.

but in reality you don't have mental strength to watch them

"Mental strength"...? What 'mental strength' is necessary just to take some time and re-watch something? o.O

I think the case for most people would just be they are focused on current/new/seasonal shows and after accounting their daily livelihood, don't usually make/have time to re-watch.

4 hours ago, RyanEsau said:

I don't 'hoard' anime but I do plan to start archiving some.

Focused on standard tv shows/cartoons archival at the moment. Only just recently started archiving stuff.

Anything I do pick up though, I like/love enough that I do expect myself to rewatch someday or introduce a friend/kid/etc to.

but in reality you don't have mental strength to watch them

"Mental strength"...? What 'mental strength' is necessary just to take some time and re-watch something? o.O

I think the case for most people would just be they are focused on current/new/seasonal shows and after accounting their daily livelihood, don't usually make/have time to re-watch. 

I mean by buying/hoarding stuff so you can watch it later (NOT rewatch), doing it to the point the hoarded stuff just too much thus discourage you to actually start watching them (hoarded stuff).

9 hours ago, redstraw said:

whats the point hoarding anime like physical media or digital one, whats so fun about it?

I am not sure if "hoard" is the right word here, at least for most people I believe.

I do have a lot of anime, for a few reasons.

If I had my way, I'd like to see every shows that's average or above, but I am only human.

So instead I maintain several levels/list according to priority of what to watch, one of them being downloading shows. Also, I often download shows that I happen to stumble upon w/ a good quality release and/or from a source that might die on me tomorrow. Thus, I end up with more content faster than I can consume them. Thus, a huge pile of un-watched stuff.

Often the shows are good, and I feel bad about deleting them. Even though I know I won't be re-watching them. Also, sometimes I exchange stuff with friends, so it's always good to have some good new stuff.

So, I often archive anime for sharing, and out of respect.

Even though my pace of consuming anime is not all that slower than getting them, there is still often a huge amount I haven't started. I guess this is due to the often breaks I take from ONLY watching anime, not downloading them.

So, other life-stuff/entertainment prevents me from clearing that pile.

There might be shows I really wanna watch, I take a lot of time trying the find good source for them, and wait for a good enough occasion/situation/timing to watch them, but I might end up losing interest in them by that time. This is more often with older shows, which are more serious and odd type, and thus it is difficult to regain my interest in them. Also, this might happen because I get put off by the animation, or if no good quality release is available and the only copy I have is way less than decent.

So, basically, GBs of shows that I wanted to watch at some point, and hope to have the courage to see in future.

This is very rare, but there are indeed some shows that I re-watch. Very few of them.

I prefer binge watching, binge watching the whole franchise not just a single season. However, at times I might end up downloading/watching a season before realizing there are more season, or a season might get announced after I downloaded it. Or maybe at times the season I watched is pretty recent and well received, and hence I have I hopes of another season. In such cases I prefer to keep the seasons I have already seen in case I need to refer to them when watching the future seasons.

Shows that are part of a series, with possible/confirmed future seasons/installments.

So, that is at least my reason to "hoard" anime

but in reality you don't have mental strength to watch them LMAO, why are you playing yourself?

I am not sure what you mean here, specially the last line

just curious how these type of people perceive the world.

(_ _|||)     don't try....

• Like 1

There's a certain level of hoarding that goes amongst certain fans of things. When I was younger, and really into music, I'd buy a lot of it but I listened to pretty much 90% of what I owned, and there were things I would re-listen to many times. Now, all that stuff is digitized and there are things I keep, but don't listen to and tend to listen to NEW music, but I like owning it and very rarely sometimes do listen to it. Likewise, there's a lot of animation I've watched and a very few things I am storing digitally (but like a few others here, it's to share, or I belong to a hub where you need to have stuff to share) and not much of it is for re-watching. I horde graphic novels and comics but those are the smallest files I am keeping digitally.

It's like having a Netflix account and discovering something that looks interesting but is 9 seasons worth of stuff; do you really want to start watching it with all the stuff you are currently regularly watching it. At some point, we're all going to go which means we might never find out how XYZ series or books or what have you, ends. That's life.

• 4 weeks later...

I download and keep a lot of anime (currently at ~11 TB). Why? Because I enjoy it and maybe I'll get around to (re)watching it. Also on digital media, it doesn't take up too much physical space (see below).

I used to buy a lot of it too on DVD and BD, but I realized I haven't put a disc in in years, so now I've stopped and put that money towards more hard drives instead... Probably going to sell off most of the physical media I have collected over the years at this point and maybe just keep the few series on disc that are my absolute favorites.

• 1 year later...