Laptop Buying help!

darks619

Hey guys! It's my first day here ohayo and konnichiwa to all of you bros! I have my IELTS exam tomorrow lol but I honestly can't get myself to do sxome exsercises. Ok so off late 
I've been planning on buying a new laptop, mainly for anime and then for some programming and software related work. 
So can you guys help me out? 
I have already ordered the dell xps 13 with the i5 8250u processor and it comes with a resxolution of 1920*1080 with 165ppi. I thought this would be the perfect device for chilling and also some programming since I intend to do my masters in data science but now im just plain confused after looking at the macbook pro without the touch bar. 

So the macbook pro w/o touch bar has a resolution of 2560*1600 with 230 ppi. Now is this a big difference compared to the dell xps 13 with 165 ppi and a full hd 1920*1080 screen? 
again, i will mainly be watching anime and shows and need it for my masters in data science course. since iv already ordered the xsps, do i keep it or jusxt pay a cancellation fee and cancel the order?
i want this to be a one time perfect laptop and i dont want to regret anything later. mac also is built on unix so thats another advantage for my programming use but
now windows comes with the linux subsystem integrated so again im very doubtful. please help me out :)

I absolutely despise Macs but, I do fix them along with Windows PCs for a living so, at the very least, you can trust me when I say this: Macs are excellent systems in terms of the average user and student. However, they are quite limited on what they can do. If you're main focus is media and school work, it would suffice. However, you claim you already purchased a Dell XPS machine. XPS is Dell's top of the line model. I couldn't locate the exact machine you were talking about but, from what I could gather, you got one of their smaller systems, am I correct? As far as watching anime on a small screen, that's gonna get old fast, unless you prefer it that way. Of course, it is still larger than a tablet or smart phone. Windows systems can also be customized a lot more than MacOS can be.

In conclusion, both would suffice for your needs. However, the XPS is likely significantly cheaper than one of Apple's overpriced MacBooks.

Ive payed the downpayment, but i can still cancel by tomorrow sir . As for the models, they are -

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-Mid-2017-i5-without-Touch-Bar-Review.234282.0.html &

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13-9360-FHD-i5-Notebook-Review.183736.0.html (updated with an i5 - 8250u)

Do the resolutions of 1920*1080 (165 ppi) vs 2560*1600 (230 ppi) matter? And yes the mac would cost around 350$ ++ more here in India along with the usb c to usb 3.0 hdmi adapter. What are your final thoughts? Is the mac worth the extra money or should i just stick to the xps?

http://www.dell.com/in/p/xps-13-9360-laptop/pd?oc=a540034win8&model_id=xps-13-9360-laptop  --> this isx the product i ordered. 

Thank you very m6uch for taking your time off to reply :)

(apologies for the wrong words, my keyboard is inserting random words to some letters i type)

Edited by darks619

12 hours ago, NeutralHatred said:

I absolutely despise Macs but, I do fix them along with Windows PCs for a living so, at the very least, you can trust me when I say this: Macs are excellent systems in terms of the average user and student. However, they are quite limited on what they can do. If you're main focus is media and school work, it would suffice. However, you claim you already purchased a Dell XPS machine. XPS is Dell's top of the line model. I couldn't locate the exact machine you were talking about but, from what I could gather, you got one of their smaller systems, am I correct? As far as watching anime on a small screen, that's gonna get old fast, unless you prefer it that way. Of course, it is still larger than a tablet or smart phone. Windows systems can also be customized a lot more than MacOS can be.

In conclusion, both would suffice for your needs. However, the XPS is likely significantly cheaper than one of Apple's overpriced MacBooks.

Ive payed the downpayment, but i can still cancel by tomorrow sir . As for the models, they are -

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-Mid-2017-i5-without-Touch-Bar-Review.234282.0.html &

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13-9360-FHD-i5-Notebook-Review.183736.0.html (updated with an i5 - 8250u)

Do the resolutions of 1920*1080 (165 ppi) vs 2560*1600 (230 ppi) matter? And yes the mac would cost around 350$ ++ more here in India along with the usb c to usb 3.0 hdmi adapter. What are your final thoughts? Is the mac worth the extra money or should i just stick to the xps?

http://www.dell.com/in/p/xps-13-9360-laptop/pd?oc=a540034win8&model_id=xps-13-9360-laptop  --> this isx the product i ordered. 

Thank you very m6uch for taking your time off to reply :) 

I have about 14h till I can cancel the xps so your opinion would be greatly appreciated. 

(apologies for the wrong words, my keyboard is inserting random words to some letters i type)

If that Mac is the same series I'm thinking of, the storage is soldered onto the logic board, meaning if it goes or the drive goes, your data is gonna and you have to replace the logic board. Can't even upgrade the drive, either.

Given the specs, I'd say stick with the XPS. I doubt the difference in display ill matter a whole lot with what you plan to do with it.

Edited by NeutralHatred

18 hours ago, NeutralHatred said:

If that Mac is the same series I'm thinking of, the storage is soldered onto the logic board, meaning if it goes or the drive goes, your data is gonna and you have to replace the logic board. Can't even upgrade the drive, either.

Given the specs, I'd say stick with the XPS. I doubt the difference in display ill matter a whole lot with what you plan to do with it.

Thank you for your reply :)

I’ll post a pic of the laptop once I get it ;) 

It all depends on what the laptop is running, if you have a decent processor with up-gradable RAM you should be fine. Don't fall for the MAC vs PC problem, thats just personal preference. You can do as much research on technology and whatnot as you want, but everyones comments and reviews are all just personal opinion. Look at it this way, if you take care of what you have and know how to troubleshoot any issues, you should be totally fine.  

On 10/29/2017 at 10:26 AM, ZeroPenguins said:

You will be heavily disappointed with Windows Scaling compared to how OSX does their display scaling...

You probably be better off installing some Linux distro on the Dell for programming.

i dont understand what scaling means buddy :| and ummm the main problem is i use an ipad for anime and to transfer files from pc to it requires itunes which isnt available on linux or it would greatly benefit me since i loved using ubuntu. as for the programming scene, let me install ubuntu on the windows subsytem for linux and check how it works, i wouldnt be doing much of it, will mainly be using the laptop for chilling

On 10/29/2017 at 10:31 PM, ludewick24 said:

It all depends on what the laptop is running, if you have a decent processor with up-gradable RAM you should be fine. Don't fall for the MAC vs PC problem, thats just personal preference. You can do as much research on technology and whatnot as you want, but everyones comments and reviews are all just personal opinion. Look at it this way, if you take care of what you have and know how to troubleshoot any issues, you should be totally fine.  

Ah, the reason i even considered mac was because i was enticed by how much friend who is an intense programmer used it. like i considered it mainly because of the person using it, not because of the device itself. as i watched my friend work with some extreme speeds i just felt i would get into programming and shit like him, so yeah.... and well i take care of my devices very well (not a single scratch on my ipad air 2 which i used for 3 years) :)

Buying a mac is like buying a shirt with the Mickey Mouse on it.

You end up playing way more for just the logo, at least that's how it was about 5 years ago when I was building custom PCs.

Laptop MAY be different, but given Apple's history of style-first, I doubt it.

Personally, I've never had any major issues with HP laptops, the last three have been 17in and have all lasted several years...even in the face of my rather harsh treatment of them.
-Only for days at a time, on during a bus ride, being used in the oil industry.

My last laptop had to be replaced because some acid accidentally got on it.
RiP old fried, burnt a hole right through the screen. XD

5 hours ago, Tanis said:

Buying a mac is like buying a shirt with the Mickey Mouse on it.

You end up playing way more for just the logo, at least that's how it was about 5 years ago when I was building custom PCs.

Laptop MAY be different, but given Apple's history of style-first, I doubt it.

Personally, I've never had any major issues with HP laptops, the last three have been 17in and have all lasted several years...even in the face of my rather harsh treatment of them.
-Only for days at a time, on during a bus ride, being used in the oil industry.

My last laptop had to be replaced because some acid accidentally got on it.
RiP old fried, burnt a hole right through the screen. xD

Replace the LCD cover and LCD? Unless you mean the lid was closed and the acid got on the cover and went through the whole system.

@darks619 If you have an iPad already and are familiar with iOS and macOS, an MacBook may be better for you to use. From a professional standpoint, it is the best to use. Any system really is primarily an opinion so, if you are already familiar with Apple products, your opinion may be more around a Mac rather than a PC.

As I said, I am not a fan of Apple products so, I'm biased, but I at least try to give an unbiased opinion when asked. Apple products are built well and look nice. However, they aren't cheap to fix and they cost a fortune just to own one. You can get a Windows laptop with nearly the same specs for a third of the cost.

7 hours ago, NeutralHatred said:

Replace the LCD cover and LCD? Unless you mean the lid was closed and the acid got on the cover and went through the whole system

It was closed.

VERY strong, industrial strength, open acid bottle was put near my laptop in the break/lunch room (a 'no chemicals of any kind' place) because of new guy with no brains.

It got knocked over and burned though the screen, into the the guts itself, and even ruined most of the table.

You'd think the dozen or so 'death' - 'this shit burns' - 'warning: fumes can liquefy your flesh' - 'serious, fucking DEATH MAKER' labels would have clued the guy in.

-He got 'let go' a few days later...can't have someone working around that level of danger who is dumb enough to take and open a bottle of acid in the EATING area.

Thankfully I'm pretty anal about my back-ups so the most I lost was the time needed to restore, plus my company paid for a replacement (2 years newer, so, YAY!).