17in Laptops Recommendations?

Tanis

So my current, barely functional, laptop is finally on the way to the great junkyard in the sky.
Between a battery ON FIRE, and 5/6 years on travel abuse...it's time to move on.

As this is my workhorse, being treated more like a desktop than a laptop, I'd love to get some recommendations to replace it.

Would rather not spend than 500USD, though I'd be willing to go up to 700USD if there's a good enough reason to.

Also: Don't care about touchscreen.
My current is an HP w/o touch and I'm happy with it.

21 minutes ago, Tanis said:

@Nabull: A combination of media, such as video and some gaming, plus multitasking.

As long as I can run games like GalCiv3 and Civ5BNW smoothly, that's all I really need gaming wise.
-I've got a 3DS, Vita, PS3, PS4, etc for anything else.

This maybe

@Nabull: I have that bookmarked already. XD
Still, nice to know I was in the same general direction.

@Scyrous: That looks pretty good as well.

Question to both of you/anyone...is it worth getting those 12GB, instead of 8GB, of RAM for multi-tasking?

And, as someone who has never had a dual drive option (separate SSD and traditional HDD) is there any issues with having two drives in a laptop?

I've had multiple desktop with several HDDs, but never a laptop.

RAM isn't very important honestly, unless you're doing some heavy encoding/rendering. For multi-tasking it's mostly your CPU doing the work. You'll rarely need more than 8GB of RAM.

Nope, having two drives in your laptop is the same as a desktop PC (well, they're easier to replace if you have a desktop PC). Benefit of the SSD is that your laptop will be able to boot up A LOT faster, since Windows is installed on it by default. And then you have like 64 GB of leftover SSD space you can use for whatever you like (depends on how much space the OS requires), plus the entire HDD. I have a 128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD and it works great.

Edited by Scyrous